Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 123

    Default 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Now that Rosie was out of the woods (posted about her this weekend), I got a buddy for her last night.
    Finder used a 10 cc syringe and now he has AP.
    Started Cipro an hour ago. Now I need help about his feeding schedule. Should I feed less? More often? Dilute his esbilac more? His last feeding was 1/2 esbilac 1/2 water. Did not want much. Just had 2.5 cc ( he is 110 gr). Should I change something?
    Will give benebac soon.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,146
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    If he was found by another person and already started on formula then thereís no need to dilute the formula. Just give it at the normal dilution....UNLESS you donít know what formula he/she was being fed prior to you taking him, in which case you should gradually switch to the new formula. Make sure the new one is well hydrated. That affects appetite, too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 123

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If he was found by another person and already started on formula then thereís no need to dilute the formula. Just give it at the normal dilution....UNLESS you donít know what formula he/she was being fed prior to you taking him, in which case you should gradually switch to the new formula. Make sure the new one is well hydrated. That affects appetite, too.
    He was just on pedialyte with the finder. I started formula myself last night at 11pm. Started with 1/4 strength for a couple feedings. First feeding at 1/2 is when I realized about AP. So no need to change anything. Just keep increasing? Appetite is low now.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    42,996
    Thanked: 19113

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    If he was only on Pedialyte, I would get him on full strength asap.
    He needs nutriton.
    I know MANY rehabbers that start them off on full strength formula.
    Since he's hardly had any "solids" don't be surprised if he doesn't poop
    for a while.

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

    DixiesMom (05-15-2019)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 123

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    He was just on pedialyte with the finder. I started formula myself last night at 11pm. Started with 1/4 strength for a couple feedings. First feeding at 1/2 is when I realized about AP. So no need to change anything. Just keep increasing? Appetite is low now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    If he was only on Pedialyte, I would get him on full strength asap.
    He needs nutriton.
    I know MANY rehabbers that start them off on full strength formula.
    Since he's hardly had any "solids" don't be surprised if he doesn't poop
    for a while.
    Just gave 2/3 esbilac and he ate with appetite 7cc. Will go full strength next feeding. He was on pedialyte exclusively for 10h. 5h with the finder and 5 with me.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    Nancy in New York (05-14-2019)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,146
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Diluted formula doesnít taste as good as full strength formula. This could also explain the low appetite.

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    DixiesMom (05-15-2019)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 123

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Looks like my little guy (Cashew) will be okay and AP was caught on time. I don't hear clicking anymore. At this point he had 3 doses of Cipro, but clicking was already almost gone after 2. He is now on full strength formula (since yesterday) and eats well. Hasn't pooped yet, but I know it is nothing to be concerned about at the moment (been with me 40 hours). Now, I am hoping to put Cashew with Rosie as soon as I can. I waited because Cashew had fleas and then AP started next morning. Rosie is significantly bigger and more active (she is just about 4 days older, based on when their tail started flipping over their body, but weighs almost 50% more). Is it too early to put them together? I gave Revolution 40 hours ago and Cashew sleeps a lot more. What is best for them to do? Together immediately or wait a little longer for Cashew to be 100%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Diluted formula doesnít taste as good as full strength formula. This could also explain the low appetite.
    I know it is not as well liked. I add a touch of maple syrup to make it more tasty (just a drop). I think
    his appetite was low because he was feeling sick, but Cipro turned things around already.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

    Nancy in New York (05-15-2019)

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,869
    Thanked: 7953

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    I would wait a few days. When they are put together, after the initial introduction Rosie will probably want to play. Rosie is larger, older and healthy. In a few days the pneumonia will be completely behind you and Cashew will be in a better condition to meet her new friend.

    Iím so happy that she responded to treatment.

  13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    DixiesMom (05-15-2019)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 123

    Default Re: 5-6 weeks with aspiration pneumonia

    Thank you very much! That makes sens. I will wait and do it when time is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I would wait a few days. When they are put together, after the initial introduction Rosie will probably want to play. Rosie is larger, older and healthy. In a few days the pneumonia will be completely behind you and Cashew will be in a better condition to meet her new friend.

    I’m so happy that she responded to treatment.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.facebook.com/jroussy1972...type=2&theater

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •