Thread: setting limits on feeding squirrels

Default setting limits on feeding squirrels

I have squirrels outside my window at my house all day long begging for nuts. I constantly go out and feed them. The problem is I work from home and I'm not getting my work done. Does anyone here know how to set limits on feeding the squirrels?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: setting limits on feeding squirrels

I have "Happy Hour" twice a day. 7-8am and depending on the time of year 2-3 or 4-5 in the afternoon. That's it.

Now if I have one that is struggling and comes late I do run extra nuts/treats out for that one. Nursing Mom's also get some extra attention but 99% of the time I stick to the Happy Hour Guidelines.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Diggie's Friend (05-12-2019), gunpackingrandma (05-13-2019), MapleRidgesquirrel (05-12-2019), Mel1959 (05-12-2019)

Morning treats and evening treats. I admit I do have a hard time ignoring a polite DPT while standing on my grill and peering in through my window......

They get more on the weekend if I am around.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-12-2019), Mel1959 (05-12-2019)

Thanks I will try these ideas. I feel sorry for all of them and find myself standing outside talking to them and throwing them nuts all day long. Now I have 2 babies coming to my patio from each side of my yard too. I feel like I have to feed them. I was leaving nuts outside on patio under the tree for the squirrels so I could get my work done but starlings came along and ate of of the food within 10 minutes.

I think we’re all guilty of “giving in” when we see our furry friends outside acting like they’re starving and in need of a nut. . I have one young little guy that has figured out if he gets on the screen closest to my kitchen window and starts alarming he will get my attention and I’ll come out and feed him a nut. . He has me very trained.

I like the Happy Hour idea!

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (05-13-2019), island rehabber (05-12-2019), MapleRidgesquirrel (05-12-2019)