Thread: Found lethargic chipmunk abandoned what now?!!?

SquirrellyGirl Guest

Exclamation Found lethargic chipmunk abandoned what now?!!?

I don't what to do I'm a first timer at this but I couldn't leave this poor little chipmunk sitting there on the dirt walk path as he was being swarmed by flies and ants were beginning to notice him too. He was lethargic and seemed to be in shock, his sense of awareness and fight or flight instinct are not kicking in so I gently scooped him up and put him into a box with a soft plush towel and that's where I'm at right now. Where do I go from here? Any suggestions or advice is seriously appreciated.

Default Re: Found lethargic chipmunk abandoned what now?!!?

Put a non-shutoff heating pad set to low UNDER half the bin he’s in. Provide hydration with warm water sweetened a little with honey or sugar or use pedialyte.

Is this a baby or an adult?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrellyGirl Guest

I'm pretty sure it's an adult or at the very least a juvenile adolescent. I have a small aquarium heating pad that I use for my leopard geckos will that be ok to use as a substitute? It's pretty low heat and a small sized pad?

As long as it’s low heat and the chipmunk can move off of it. Place it under the container and not in with the chipmunk. You can try hydrating with a syringe if you have one or a bowl of water. Any chance it was caught by a cat? No injuries that you can see?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Here’s some info from the wild mammal book. I hope others that have cared for chipmunks will chime in, as I’ve never raised one. I see they take Esbilac formula if this one is little enough for formula. Otherwise try some fruits or vegetables.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (05-12-2019)

SquirrellyGirl Guest

Ok I will put the pad under the plastic box and monitor the temp and if it's to hot I will place a couple puppy peepads inside the box under his towel and continue to monitor the temp till I'm satisfied and feel it's at a safe temp for him yeah?

I been able to pet him, carefully, and haven't noticed any injuries and he doesn't act like he's in pain or flinching when touched. He's kinda acting like a college party kid who is recovering from a bad hangover lol, only way I can really explain it.

SquirrellyGirl Guest

Now I'm thinking I'm totally wrong in thinking that it was even a chipmunk at all. Is he perhaps a baby squirrel of some type?

Name:  IMG_20190511_205916608_HDR.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  124.9 KB

This looks like a red squirrel - but depending on the lighting maybe it's a baby ground squirrel??? I don't know which kinds you have in your area.
    Hard to tell in the photo. If a read, then it's real hard to tell from the pic if it's a juvie or adult... with something next to him to compare his size we could judge better. If it's this quiet then this lil one is in deep trouble - reds are usually very hyper. He would need to be rehydrated ASAP, with either pedialyte or at least sweet water. You can use a 1cc syringe to do that, and make sure to point upwards and feed slowly, as you don't want to risk him aspirating - getting it in his lungs which could lead to pneumoia. No solids please at this stage. Also everything you make him drink has to be warmer than your own body - theirs is aaround 101F, nothing cold!

I hope somebody makes it here quick to further help you (as I'm pressed for time here, have to go... so sorry ).

Hope this little one makes it. Thank you for helping him.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

SquirrellyGirl Guest

I plan on taking him to one of the local wildlife rescue places here in Arizona. I looked it up and he is definitely a juvi Ground Squirrel which are common here in Arizona. I have him tucked in nice and warm with a heating pad and lots of soft blankies to snuggle in. I just need the little guy to make it through the night until 8am when the wildlife rescue center opens up, then he will hopefully be in the clear once he's in the right hands. So until then I will continue to keep updating you all with his progress.

I did manage to get him to sip a few drops of warm sweet water, just hope it's enough to get him by till morning.

For now he seems to be loving chilling out inside my fuzzy slipper. He's like a little furry burrito. 🤗😊

Size comparison pic is him next to a bottle of nail polish if that helps give you an idea of his gestational age.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrellyGirl from:

Nancy in New York (05-12-2019)

Wildlife rescue places are typically so swamped this time of year, so if anything is wrong
    with him, they will most likely euthanize.
    I don't think we have many members from your state, but if you give me a city that
    you are in or near I will try to find a rehabber who will give your little one a chance.
    He's absolutely precious!

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (05-12-2019)

If he is only drinking a small amount of water, do it frequently, like every two hours.
    The most important things right now are to keep it warm and get it well hydrated.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

SquirrellyGirl Guest

I live in Chandler Arizona but can take him anywhere in Phoenix if there is a rehabber here in the valley. He isn't injured just little and still learning how to crawl and run around.

UPDATE 8:31 AM

He is awake and is much more active after a goodnight sleep! I keep giving him sips of warm fluids with a cotton ball or the dropper when he'll take it. He seems to be doing much better today and loves cuddling up in his fuzzy slipper...face first booty sticking out lol. 😂

What are you feeding him? He might be young enough to take POWDERED Esbilac puppy formula. If not I’d offer him some vegetables from the squirrel healthy diet. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrellyGirl Guest

UPDATE:

I took him to Liberty Wildlife animal preserve and they are gonna take good care of him. I also found out that the little guy is called an Arizona Rock Squirrel. Thank you everyone for the support and helpful advice.

23. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrellyGirl:

Javarat (05-13-2019), Mel1959 (05-13-2019), Nancy in New York (05-13-2019), Vox (05-14-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1