Thread: 4 female squirrels (11-13 weeks) attacking the 9-10 week male with a half of a tail.

Default 4 female squirrels (11-13 weeks) attacking the 9-10 week male with a half of a tail.

Have a squirrel with half of a tail and about a week or two behind my other 4 squirrels (approx 11-13 weeks old vs his 9-10). Three are from same litter and fourth added to outdoor enclosure. He is the only male and gets attacked by the others when I try to introduce them. Any ideas? I hate that he has no companions and is in an enclosure by himself. Tried introducing one at a time without food or water to fight over, but gets nasty, fast. He is never the aggressor.

Default Re: 4 female squirrels (11-13 weeks) attacking the 9-10 week male with a half of a ta

I would err on the side of caution. It’s probably too late to introduce them. I would keep the male separate. There are some cases on TSB with bad outcomes from bullying in the release cage. The bullied ones can be starved/dehydrated by the aggressors in addition to the fighting.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

marykey7 (05-12-2019)

Default Re: 4 female squirrels (11-13 weeks) attacking the 9-10 week male with a half of a ta

Thanks for your insight and that makes sense.
    Does this indicate a poor prognosis for him to be released in the wild, later this year, or should he blend in better once he’s out in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by marykey7 View Post
    Have a squirrel with half of a tail and about a week or two behind my other 4 squirrels (approx 11-13 weeks old vs his 9-10). Three are from same litter and fourth added to outdoor enclosure. He is the only male and gets attacked by the others when I try to introduce them. Any ideas? I hate that he has no companions and is in an enclosure by himself. Tried introducing one at a time without food or water to fight over, but gets nasty, fast. He is never the aggressor.
    You have this little 9-10 week old in an outdoor enclosure?
    That's too young to be put outside. He should still be taking formula.
    Personally I believe the others are also too young to be outside.
    Did they wean themselves, or did you stop the formula?
    What are your little ones eating now?
    When are you planning release?

Many people successfully release single squirrels.
    I find it takes some a little more time to get their self
    confidence.
    Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 05-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

marykey7 (05-12-2019)

The four older ones are in an outdoor enclosure with a roof and nesting boxes. As long as the temperature is mild and the weather is decent, I keep them in the enclosure. I was just wanting the younger one to visit and be a squirrel for brief periods. The older ones seem to be doing really well. They are eating and drinking water and farting all over the enclosure. I fed through 12 weeks with formula.

What are your older ones eating now. You can still provide formula in a bowl if they want it. I hope your plan isn’t to release them till they’re close to 16 weeks old. I think being older when released is to the squirrels advantage, especially for singletons when released.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (05-15-2019)

Oops. Not farting but darting. The bigger squirrels are eating rodent block, cut up fruits and vegetables and a seed mixture. Also feed them baby foods. I’ll add the formula in a dish. I will wait until they’re at least 16 weeks before release. Thanks so much for your wisdom. This is super helpful.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marykey7 from:

Nancy in New York (05-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marykey7 View Post
    Oops. Not farting but darting.
    When I read that I thought, Wow ... TMI but figured it was an autocorrect thing.

I wouldn’t give them seed mix. They have about 4-5 weeks before release so seed mix is risky. Too many seeds can cause Metabolic Bone Disease. They will start eating the seeds and leaving the blocks and veggies.

After release they can have seeds but I wouldn’t give them now.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (05-15-2019)