Thread: Low energy 6 weeks old, no poop for 72h, refuses formula

Default Low energy 6 weeks old, no poop for 72h, refuses formula

I have a baby squirrel who is barely 6 weeks old and weighs 128 gr. I have had her for 72h.
    As of 5 hours ago, when I went to feed her, she would not take any formula. Tried again an hour later thinking it was time to space out the feedings, but refused again, and also acted differently. Very low on energy and just not looking well. At that point, she had been on 100% formula (FV 32/40) as of 24h prior. Last time she ate formula, she did so eagerly (9 cc) and it was this am (8.5 hours ago).

Other issue is she has not pooped since I have her (72h). I found a little spec on 2 occasions, but that is it.

History
    Weight on intake: 110gr. Weight now 128gr.
    She was on pedialyte exclusively for 17 h
    Formula was introduced gradually and it took 7 feedings to get to 100% formula. While I transitioned, I mixed the already prepared formula with pedialyte (after trying water and she would not drink it), starting with a 1/4 pedi 3/4 formula ratio. I ended up following the WMB protocol that says mixing with pedialyte is okay. During this whole time, she had lots of energy and appeared well and hydrated. But no poop.

What I have tried and plan on doing
    I massaged her tummy (no bloat btw), tried giving benebac (she is not cooperative). My intention is to do a gut flush (been giving pedialyte for the pas s 3 hours, a bit at a time. So far, I managed to get 7.5 cc in her. I purchased Esbilac and prepared some. I don't trust FV so I don`t plan to transition with any FV. Just pedi followed by gradual transition to Esbilac.

What should I do? How long before introducing Esbilac? Am I right to completely stop giving FV and instead opt for a gut flush and transition to Esbilac? I am very concerned. Anything else I should do?

My friend posted on my behalf on a FB group, some suggested apple juice, someone else mollasses, someone else to thin out esbilac. So, I decided to come ask here on TSB. I had been holding Rosie since I found her not well, so I put her in her carrier so I could come write here on my computer. Will return now and check my phone.

I lost a deer mouse last month and took it really really hardly. I really don't want to lose someone else. My heart could not take it. Please help.
    Last edited by DixiesMom; 05-11-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added some missing info
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Default Re: Low energy 6 weeks old, no poop for 72h, refuses formula

I agree with your idea of stopping the FV and doing a flush. I stay away from the 32/40 and only use the 20/50, as the 32/40 can cause constipation and dehydration.
    I would also treat with Infant GasX (simethicone) and do tummy massages while in a warm water bath to stimulate pooping.

72 hours of not pooping is not critical, if she was on empty when she arrived. I have had many arrivals that went up to 84 or 90 hours with no poop.

You don't want to mix pedialyte with formula. You wind up doubling the electrolytes which can pull too much fluid from the intestines and cause constipation.

Most important is how does her tummy feel, and how is the coloration on it?

I have also had many babies that ate well, then refused a feeding, and then ate a little, and then ate well again.. this normally indicated they were being fed too often and needed longer periods between feedings.

Note that if you are removing formula for a period, this may delay her pooping for an even longer period. It won't come out if nothing is going in.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

DixiesMom (05-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I agree with your idea of stopping the FV and doing a flush. I stay away from the 32/40 and only use the 20/50, as the 32/40 can cause constipation and dehydration.
    I would also treat with Infant GasX (simethicone) and do tummy massage while in a warm water bath to stimulate pooping.

How does her tummy feel, and how is the coloration on it?
    Thank you Javarat. I bought the FV 32/40 as a mistake and hesitated to use it... I knew it was bad for pinkies, but not that it could cause dehydration and constipation. I tossed the whole package now.

Her tummy feels soft and the color is normal looking. She has started to perk up while I did the flush and I now gave her 1/3 Esbilac 2/3 water 2 hours ago. She drank it eagerly and is doing better (as far as energy level goes). She gave me quite a scare today. I legit thought I might lose her at some point. I hope she will do well on Esbilac. TBH I am still scared but much more hopeful than earlier.

I have been massaging her tummy but not in warm water bath, I will try that. Will get Simethicone in the morning (pharmacy is closed now).

Thank you very much for your help!
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

My concern is her loss of appetite and lethargy. I would treat for AP.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (05-12-2019)

Rosie started getting better yesterday (more energy and more appetite). I did get worried again this morning because her belly felt a little hard (about 30 min after going up to 3/4 Esbilac for the first time-- I am still working on getting her to 100% strength gradually). Her stomach had been soft before then, which was reassuring. So, I massaged her tummy in warm water, gave her Simethicone. I diluted the formula more a couple feedings (went back down to 1/2 Esbilac 1/2 apple juice the last couple feedings). I also been giving extra fluids (apple juice) in between to keep her hydrated and for the mild laxative effect, as well as benebac. I hope I am not making a mistake with the apple juice. I went with my gut when I decided to dilute with apple juice instead of water. This afternoon, she finally pooped (just once though). It ended up taking 96 hours. I will be truly relieved when she eliminates regularly and is on 100% strength formula.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    My concern is her loss of appetite and lethargy. I would treat for AP.
    The loss and appetite and lethargy is what concerned me the most as well. But since she never aspirated (finder did not give her anything and I know with certainty she did not aspirate), I would not consider AP.
    ----
    Josee

Just wanted to give an update on Rosie. She is now doing great! She is on 100% Esbilac, eating well, she is active, energetic and pooping normally (nice color and consistency).
    ----
    Josee

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

Nancy in New York (05-14-2019)

Thanks for letting us know
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

DixiesMom (05-14-2019)