Thread: Are running wheels safe for flyers?

Default Are running wheels safe for flyers?

I recently purchased 2 running wheels for my 9 week old flyer. I purchased the Freedom Wheel (new version of the Stealth Wheel) and the Silent Runner. I read something about the Silent Runner falling off and hurting gliders when so I just have the Freedom Wheel in. She gets to running so fast that it spins her in complete circles once or twice. It has never thrown her out although I have seen videos of hamsters being shot out of wheels like rockets. Just wandering if anyone has had any bad experiences with wheels or if I should be using a different kind for her? I don’t want her to get hurt.
    Name:  384E18D2-1892-449D-A149-67A674A1FAE0.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  83.4 KB
    Name:  111B1B4C-B47D-4E3A-A85F-8EED0039305F.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  405.9 KB

Default Re: Are running wheels safe for flyers?

Some of the wheels are better than other. Any wheel with a cross bar construction is not safe. I don't think the Silent Runner is safe. Flyers run very fast on the wheel. Any bar or slots in the open side can cause serious injuries. They will jump out or be thrown out while it is spinning. Bars or slots can break their back or cause other injuries.

I do believe that Attix Worx makes the best wheels. I originally bought a Stealth Wheel. My first flyer NEVER used it. The second flyer LOVES it. He runs like a maniac on the thing. He also though it tasted awesome. He chewed the running track so badly that it was no longer safe. The Magnum wheel is the same as the Stealth except that it has a PVC coated metal track. The company sent me the metal track. I installed it on the Stealth wheel in essence making it a Magnum wheel. That solved the chewing problem. I do feel that it is safe. It's pretty common for a flyer to get it up to speed and then stop running. They hang on and ride it round and round like a carnival ride. It makes me dizzy just watching.

This was the first time I saw the Freedom wheel. There are things I like about it and things that concern me. The one piece construction makes it very easy to clean so that's a bonus. I know that the Attix Worx company is always seeking to make a better wheel. I think this version might have been an attempt make a wheel that is easier to manufacture. A one piece wheel could be made with a mold as opposed to the other wheels that are made with a bucket lid. This mold construction is where my concern comes in. I'm pretty sure that the mold construction dictates the size of the grid in the running track. The 1/4inch grid in the track concern me. My only concern is a tiny flyer leg falling through the grid while running. To be honest with you I can't remember the size of the grid in the Stealth wheel. The coated wire mesh on the Magnum has small openings. The openings in the Stealth were larger than the Magnum but can't remember if they were 1/4inch.

Other than that one concern it looks like a great wheel. Watch for chewing. Given the chance a flyer can turn anything plastic into plastic dust.

It is entertaining to watch them run in a wheel.

Edit: looking at the pic again... those sure are large openings in the running track.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (05-10-2019)

Default Re: Are running wheels safe for flyers?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Some of the wheels are better than other. Any wheel with a cross bar construction is not safe. I don't think the Silent Runner is safe. Flyers run very fast on the wheel. Any bar or slots in the open side can cause serious injuries. They will jump out or be thrown out while it is spinning. Bars or slots can break their back or cause other injuries.

I do believe that Attix Worx makes the best wheels. I originally bought a Stealth Wheel. My first flyer NEVER used it. The second flyer LOVES it. He runs like a maniac on the thing. He also though it tasted awesome. He chewed the running track so badly that it was no longer safe. The Magnum wheel is the same as the Stealth except that it has a PVC coated metal track. The company sent me the metal track. I installed it on the Stealth wheel in essence making it a Magnum wheel. That solved the chewing problem. I do feel that it is safe. It's pretty common for a flyer to get it up to speed and then stop running. They hang on and ride it round and round like a carnival ride. It makes me dizzy just watching.

This was the first time I saw the Freedom wheel. There are things I like about it and things that concern me. The one piece construction makes it very easy to clean so that's a bonus. I know that the Attix Worx company is always seeking to make a better wheel. I think this version might have been an attempt make a wheel that is easier to manufacture. A one piece wheel could be made with a mold as opposed to the other wheels that are made with a bucket lid. This mold construction is where my concern comes in. I'm pretty sure that the mold construction dictates the size of the grid in the running track. The 1/4inch grid in the track concern me. My only concern is a tiny flyer leg falling through the grid while running. To be honest with you I can't remember the size of the grid in the Stealth wheel. The coated wire mesh on the Magnum has small openings. The openings in the Stealth were larger than the Magnum but can't remember if they were 1/4inch.

Other than that one concern it looks like a great wheel. Watch for chewing. Given the chance a flyer can turn anything plastic into plastic dust.

It is entertaining to watch them run in a wheel.

Edit: looking at the pic again... those sure are large openings in the running track.
    She doesn’t chew on it, so that’s a plus. I’ve been a little worried about the grid vs a smooth surface myself. The Silent Runner is smooth. It doesn’t have a crossbar (middle axel if that’s what you mean). I was going to buy an actual stealth wheel but they were sold out at the time. Maybe they are trying to phase them out. The holes in the stealth wheels are a little smaller. She runs it like a champ. It spins her around 50 times as fast as it can go. I think she loves doing it. I just been worried that’s not normal.