Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Which is better and where do i get Ivermectin and how to apply. i had some revolution ive been using but i dont think its doing its job plus i may have given my squirrel to much. he's better now i guess just not his old self because of the parasites .not sure what kind of parasites thinking its mange like last time. sleeps alot hum drum not a hundred percent. its been three weeks since dosage three drops. eating fine maybe just getting old (5). not intrested in outside much. was thinkink of going to vet tommorow getting more revolution. the revolution i used had been opened for about three months but was in a pill container . any thoughts .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,159
    Thanked: 19281

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    I've used the liquid ivermectin on my squirrels before.
    It needs to be diluted down and then applied topically or given orally
    according to their weight.
    To me, it's much safer to dose an exact measurement.
    I've gotten mine at Chris's.
    https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pro...n-date-07-2017

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I've used the liquid ivermectin on my squirrels before.
    It needs to be diluted down and then applied topically or given orally
    by their weight.
    To me, it's much safer to dose an exact measurement
    according to their weight.
    I've gotten mine at Chris's.
    https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pro...n-date-07-2017
    Thank you Nancy.

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HappyLittleSquirrely from:

    Nancy in New York (05-09-2019)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,159
    Thanked: 19281

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    Thank you Nancy.
    If this is the route you go, let me know and I will break it down for you
    so you know how much to give.
    Remember, I would need a weight.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I've used the liquid ivermectin on my squirrels before.
    It needs to be diluted down and then applied topically or given orally
    according to their weight.
    To me, it's much safer to dose an exact measurement.
    I've gotten mine at Chris's.
    https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pro...n-date-07-2017
    would you put a drop on it's back like the revolution? Or rub it all over

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    If this is the route you go, let me know and I will break it down for you
    so you know how much to give.
    Remember, I would need a weight.
    ok . i have erand to run now but . so tommorow morning i will try to weigh him

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,159
    Thanked: 19281

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    This is a little "mange squirrel" that I treated last year with ivermectin.
    It took a month and she looked great after 3 treatments.

    .......

    Fur coming back.

    .......

    .......
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 05-09-2019 at 06:29 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanked: 8390

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Isn't this a neuro squirrel? If yes, either product can be dangerous. Both ivermectin and selemactin are neurotoxins. The only reason they can be used is because they don't cross the blood brain barrier in a NORMAL animal. If a neuro animal has had the BB barrier compromised in any way, either product can be deadly. I would be very careful using either.

    You indicated that he had a reaction to the Revolution. I think that is a red flag. Be very careful.

  10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    Nancy in New York (05-09-2019), stepnstone (05-09-2019)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,159
    Thanked: 19281

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Isn't this a neuro squirrel? If yes, either product can be dangerous. Both ivermectin and selemactin are neurotoxins. The only reason they can be used is because they don't cross the blood brain barrier in a NORMAL animal. If a neuro animal has had the BB barrier compromised in any way, either product can be deadly. I would be very careful using either.

    You indicated that he had a reaction to the Revolution. I think that is a red flag. Be very careful.
    Great reminder HRT4SQRLS.
    HappyLittleSquirrely, is this for PiTi?

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Great reminder HRT4SQRLS.
    HappyLittleSquirrely, is this for PiTi?
    yes this is piti. i think i might wait sometime before giving him anymore treatments. i was thinking his little system could have been overloaded and needs to clean out. maybe his liver or kidneys damaged. he seems tired all the time. he gets plenty of water and healthy food. he also has suffered with red type of rash most of his life (sensitive skin) and he just molted i think. still the parasites maybe making him tired as well.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Isn't this a neuro squirrel? If yes, either product can be dangerous. Both ivermectin and selemactin are neurotoxins. The only reason they can be used is because they don't cross the blood brain barrier in a NORMAL animal. If a neuro animal has had the BB barrier compromised in any way, either product can be deadly. I would be very careful using either.

    You indicated that he had a reaction to the Revolution. I think that is a red flag. Be very careful.
    he's not a nuero well at least i dont think so. i'm still not 100 percent postive what his situation is.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    If this is the route you go, let me know and I will break it down for you
    so you know how much to give.
    Remember, I would need a weight.
    Hey Nancy Piti is 1.52 pounds. i'm going to order some ivermectin. what is the procedure in treatment. Thanks.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Cradle of Liberty
    Posts
    8,717
    Thanked: 822

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Here's what I do, and I'm not saying it's right or best but I have been doing it for years with nothing but positive results. All my guys are wild so topical application is not possible.I put a drop of ivermectin smaller than the size of a notebook paper hole on a half of shelled pecan and put it out by itself so that it is taken first. They do not seem to notice any taste. The trickiest thing is getting it in the right squirrel as you do not want anyone to get two drops by being an obnoxious bandit piggy (which is their true nature LOL). Usually I manage by being vigilant. You can keep it on a shelf nearby if you have prepared it, and the patient doesn't show up, so it is handy as and when he does You should give another dose after 10 days to kill any remaining parasites. I just dip a toothpick into the medication and let it drip one drop on the nut meat, or better yet, just touch the nut lightly. It is VERY powerful and dangerous stuff, so do not overdose. MORE IS NOT BETTER. I do not give it to nursing mothers either, but wait until I think her little ones are weaned.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Here's what I do, and I'm not saying it's right or best but I have been doing it for years with nothing but positive results. All my guys are wild so topical application is not possible.I put a drop of ivermectin smaller than the size of a notebook paper hole on a half of shelled pecan and put it out by itself so that it is taken first. They do not seem to notice any taste. The trickiest thing is getting it in the right squirrel as you do not want anyone to get two drops by being an obnoxious bandit piggy (which is their true nature LOL). Usually I manage by being vigilant. You can keep it on a shelf nearby if you have prepared it, and the patient doesn't show up, so it is handy as and when he does You should give another dose after 10 days to kill any remaining parasites. I just dip a toothpick into the medication and let it drip one drop on the nut meat, or better yet, just touch the nut lightly. It is VERY powerful and dangerous stuff, so do not overdose. MORE IS NOT BETTER. I do not give it to nursing mothers either, but wait until I think her little ones are weaned.
    Thank you very much. I wasnít sure if the dosing was the same as cat revolution. Since it is, I will most likely put a drop on his back since he lets me hold and pet him. For some reason the revolution doesnít work as good anymore and I thought I might have overdosed him but Iím pretty sure he was going through some weird molting thing or something else. Still not sure ,but heís better now itís just heís itchy all the time and losing fur again like last year. Thanks again .

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,159
    Thanked: 19281

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    Hey Nancy Piti is 1.52 pounds. i'm going to order some ivermectin. what is the procedure in treatment. Thanks.
    HappyLittleSquirrel
    I will send you dosing instructions for the liquid ivermectin.
    You will have to dilute it down and then apply it topically,
    between the shoulder blades.
    Since PiTi is an indoor squirrel, that you can handle,
    and you have an accurate weight on him,
    this is a much safer way to use ivermectin.
    I will pm the information now.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    HappyLittleSquirrel
    I will send you dosing instructions for the liquid ivermectin.
    You will have to dilute it down and then apply it topically,
    between the shoulder blades.
    Since PiTi is an indoor squirrel, that you can handle,
    and you have an accurate weight on him,
    this is a much safer way to use ivermectin.
    I will pm the information now.
    Thank you very much.

  19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HappyLittleSquirrely from:

    Nancy in New York (06-16-2019)

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    Hey Nancy. Piti seems to be turning a corner. Growing a little fur (not alot) back. Thinking its a fungus not mange. always happen same time a year. might be Dermatophytosis. ive been feeding him raw coconut everyday since he wont eat the oil in its solid form. he doesnt seem to be in any distress. happy as a lark. i was trying to send pics, but in messages its seems different . will keep trying .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Ivermectin or revolution for mange and mites?

    one more
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •