Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Pinkies found, few days old?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Pinkies found, few days old?

    Hi guys. We got a call from a friend that blackbirds were causing chaos in a tree and knocked down a squirrel nest. Three of the babies were saved. They look like a few days old. When they're this small does the standard pedialyte then fox valley? Do they suck at this stage?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,022
    Thanked: 8125

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    They sure do suck at this age.

    I'm sure you have warmed them. Yes to the Pedialyte. No to the FoxValley. I don't think any rehabbers use FoxValley for pinkies. It was once the standard, but NO longer. Pinkies can not digest it. I believe they use Esbilac. They might even use the goat milk recipe for a few days. I'll let the pinkie rehabbers sound in on formula but I'm sure it's NOT FoxValley.

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    Wallysdad (05-08-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,148
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Any way to try and reunite with mom?

  5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    stepnstone (05-09-2019), Wallysdad (05-08-2019)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    We have puppy Esbilac. Is this what we start after pedialyte? And how long for the pedialyte? We got the clear one. Also, can these babies take the miracle nipple? I know they have a lot of room in their mouths and throat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Any way to try and reunite with mom?
    They tried for four hours and mom never showed, started getting dark outside so we went with our gut. Something could have happened to her or she ran from the birds. At first they were vocal and started chirping.

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

    Mel1959 (05-08-2019)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,148
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Yes, hydrate with pedialyte then Esbilac. You can use the miracle nipple. It might take a little while for them to get the hang of it.

    You might try taking them back over to the sight that you found them in the morning. Momma may have been too frightened to get them today, especially when it started getting dark. First thing in the morning she may be looking for them.

  10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    Grinderhead (05-08-2019), stepnstone (05-09-2019), Wallysdad (05-08-2019)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    We plan on trying in the morning.

  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

    stepnstone (05-09-2019)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes, hydrate with pedialyte then Esbilac. You can use the miracle nipple. It might take a little while for them to get the hang of it.

    You might try taking them back over to the sight that you found them in the morning. Momma may have been too frightened to get them today, especially when it started getting dark. First thing in the morning she may be looking for them.
    Can you advise on how much to feed these little ones? We're seeing .5ml but now looking at .5ml is a ton for them.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Just weighed them before their second feeding and they are all 13 grams. Seem to be going to the bathroom pretty well. No feeder bands on their bellys yet. The male just took .5ml.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallysdad View Post
    Just weighed them before their second feeding and they are all 13 grams. Seem to be going to the bathroom pretty well. No feeder bands on their bellys yet. The male just took .5ml.
    First female took the same. The second female took .4ml after some coaxing but has blood in her stool and possibly her urine. Her temperature was noticeably lower too. Trying to maintain her temp for now. Trauma from the fall?

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,025
    Thanked: 19155

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallysdad View Post
    Can you advise on how much to feed these little ones? We're seeing .5ml but now looking at .5ml is a ton for them.
    Here you go.


  17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    Mel1959 (05-09-2019), stepnstone (05-09-2019), Wallysdad (05-09-2019)

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Thank you all for the responses. They are eating very well, latching onto the nipple easier and getting around the .5ml area. Slowly going to add as their weight increases and mix in the Esbilac with the pedialyte. We plan on staying with the Esbilac until fur grows in and eyes start opening. Then Fox Valley, Wally did well with FV at that age. Poop and pee pee are moving easily. The little one that had some blood in her stool passed a hard large one early this morning and that has ceased thankfully. We went back to the area where they were found to see if mom would come back. After waiting for three hours she did not return to the tree. We did see two different squirrels but neither were interested. Slow slow going. Amazing animals they are, the sounds they make already. ❤️

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,025
    Thanked: 19155

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallysdad View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. They are eating very well, latching onto the nipple easier and getting around the .5ml area. Slowly going to add as their weight increases and mix in the Esbilac with the pedialyte. We plan on staying with the Esbilac until fur grows in and eyes start opening. Then Fox Valley, Wally did well with FV at that age. Poop and pee pee are moving easily. The little one that had some blood in her stool passed a hard large one early this morning and that has ceased thankfully. We went back to the area where they were found to see if mom would come back. After waiting for three hours she did not return to the tree. We did see two different squirrels but neither were interested. Slow slow going. Amazing animals they are, the sounds they make already. ❤️
    Just looking for some clarification so I don't misunderstand.
    Are you mixing/feeding Pedialyte and Esbilac mixed together?
    Are these little ones on the straight esbilac yet?
    They should be on Pedialyte no more than 24 hours and then
    switched to formula.
    If these little ones are already pooping and peeing, they probably
    were with Mom right up until the time the blackbirds got the nest, so
    start the Esbilac now.
    They look nice and plump in the picture.
    Make sure that you make the formula up ahead of time, and let
    it rest in the refrig for a couple of hours, stirring occassionally to
    make sure it all dissolves.
    I'm sure you know this but at this age, they should be eating every 2-3 hours
    around the clock.
    When you start on the Fox Valley make sure to get the FV 20/50. We no longer
    recommend the FV 32/40.
    Good luck with your little ones. I'm glad you're enjoying them.

  20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

    Wallysdad (05-09-2019)

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Just looking for some clarification so I don't misunderstand.
    Are you mixing/feeding Pedialyte and Esbilac mixed together?
    Are these little ones on the straight esbilac yet?
    They should be on Pedialyte no more than 24 hours and then
    switched to formula.
    If these little ones are already pooping and peeing, they probably
    were with Mom right up until the time the blackbirds got the nest, so
    start the Esbilac now.
    They look nice and plump in the picture.
    Make sure that you make the formula up ahead of time, and let
    it rest in the refrig for a couple of hours, stirring occassionally to
    make sure it all dissolves.
    I'm sure you know this but at this age, they should be eating every 2-3 hours
    around the clock.
    When you start on the Fox Valley make sure to get the FV 20/50. We no longer
    recommend the FV 32/40.
    Good luck with your little ones. I'm glad you're enjoying them.
    Yes as of right now their last feed was more of a 70/30 of formula to ped. Plan on 100 formula on next feed. Currently looking for decent 1ml syringes in retail stores. No one carries the Miracle syringes in retail stores that I know of. They suck pretty well but our 1ml plungers get stuck. I have tried to lubricate the rubber plunger with coconut oil to free it up but it's not working like it should. Are there any other tricks to try?

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,148
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Don’t mix formula with pedialyte!! They are two separate things...one is hydration the other is food.

    If you go to a local drugstore and tell them you are feeding an orphaned kitten they will usually give you a 1cc syringe. You really need to do this ASAP so your little guys don’t aspirate on a stuck syringe. Then place an order with Henrys Healthy Pets and order some 1cc and 3 cc syringes along with both sizes of miracle nipples. You’re gonna be feeding them for quite some time so you might as well make it easiest on you and safest for them. Since you’re placing an order with Henry’s and she charges one flat fee for shipping ($5.99), order some picky healthy blocks and put them in the freezer so you have them on hand when your little guys’s eyes open and they’re ready for block.

  23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    stepnstone (05-09-2019), Wallysdad (05-09-2019)

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Don’t mix formula with pedialyte!! They are two separate things...one is hydration the other is food.

    If you go to a local drugstore and tell them you are feeding an orphaned kitten they will usually give you a 1cc syringe. You really need to do this ASAP so your little guys don’t aspirate on a stuck syringe. Then place an order with Henrys Healthy Pets and order some 1cc and 3 cc syringes along with both sizes of miracle nipples. You’re gonna be feeding them for quite some time so you might as well make it easiest on you and safest for them. Since you’re placing an order with Henry’s and she charges one flat fee for shipping ($5.99), order some picky healthy blocks and put them in the freezer so you have them on hand when your little guys’s eyes open and they’re ready for block.
    Cvs was the only pharmacy in the area with some 1ccs, got a few from them. Those from the pharmacy only have a real small seal around the plunger so it looks like it will work for them. Henry's order is otw, 1ccs and minis, with Picky blocks ready in the freezer. That coconut oil deal I found for the rubber plungers seems to make it a little more difficult to push with consistency, even when warmed up. 😠

  25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

    kcassidy (06-06-2019)

  26. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,022
    Thanked: 8125

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    The O-ring syringes that Henry's sells are definitely needed for pinkies. The O-ring offers very little resistance so it doesn't get stuck. The syringes with the fat black rubber on the end of the plunger work well a couple times but then they start getting stuck. When they get stuck it is easy to blast formula while trying to feed. You won't have that problem with the O-ring type.

    You will be feeding these pinkies for quite a while so you might as well make it easy on yourself and for the safety of the babies, buy the O-ring syringes.

    Edit... I see you already ordered them. Perfect!

  27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    Wallysdad (05-10-2019)

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    5,148
    Thanked: 6553

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    I NEVER had good luck lubricating the rubber on syringes. It may work great once and then the next time stick so bad that any amount of pressure causes it to let loose and choke them with the milk. eek

  29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    stepnstone (05-09-2019), Wallysdad (05-10-2019)

  30. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    Thank you kind people for the responses and help. We are listening to everyone's opinions and are always learning something we didn't know about our little friends. We were 90% prepared for the next time to feed babies, we had no idea it would be pinkies. We're giving it our best and they seem to be as well. Thank you again.

  31. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Wallysdad:

    Chickenlegs (05-10-2019), Mel1959 (05-10-2019), Nancy in New York (05-10-2019), redwuff (05-10-2019), stepnstone (05-10-2019)

  32. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Pinkies found, few days old?

    The babies are gaining every day! Taking somewhere between 5.5% and 6% of their weight and doing well. Our only problem is trying to tell the two females apart. Names are next. Left picture was the 12th of May and the right one was today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wallysdad from:

    Nancy in New York (05-16-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •