Thread: Swollen Penis

Clwassa Guest

Default Swollen Penis

I woke up to this little guy in pain with a swollen penis. I have washed in warm water and massaged but can't tell if the dark red spot is a scab or blood pooled. I can't seem to clear it. Any suggestions to make him more comfortable and prevent urine backup?

https://imgur.com/a/gXCXd4C

Default Re: Swollen Penis

He is either self suckling or being suckled by another in the bin. You have to continue to soak the penis with warm water and gently remove any scab on the end. This is life threatening. He has to be able to urinate. I had one that this happened to and although the penis was clear from any scab that I could see when he went to urinate his penis expanded like a balloon and required me gently expressing it to get the urine to come out.

Use a cotton ball and continue to swab it with warm water till you see he can pee freely. Then continue to observe him. You should separate him from any cage mates if there are any till you get it under control.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (05-08-2019)

Ouch, yea, what Mel said.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Clwassa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    He is either self suckling or being suckled by another in the bin. You have to continue to soak the penis with warm water and gently remove any scab on the end. This is life threatening. He has to be able to urinate. I had one that this happened to and although the penis was clear from any scab that I could see when he went to urinate his penis expanded like a balloon and required me gently expressing it to get the urine to come out.

Use a cotton ball and continue to swab it with warm water till you see he can pee freely. Then continue to observe him. You should separate him from any cage mates if there are any till you get it under control.
    I did get the scab pulled off, at least as far as I can tell. But he still won't pee. I will continue to try the warm cotton ball and see if I can express it! Another cage mate has the same problem but not nearly so severe.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Clwassa from:

redwuff (05-08-2019)

What are you feeding them, how much, and how often? Suckling can start because the babies are hungry...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (05-08-2019)

They definitely need to be separated. You can put triple antibiotic ointment on it. Watch to make sure he is not suckling him self after you separate them. It will take about 4 days to heal once you stop the offending behavior.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Clwassa View Post
    I did get the scab pulled off, at least as far as I can tell. But he still won't pee. I will continue to try the warm cotton ball and see if I can express it! Another cage mate has the same problem but not nearly so severe.
    While using the cotton ball dipped in warm water it will be difficult to tell if he’s passing urine unless you actually see it coming out. Try a old make up brush or tissue to see if you can detect urine on it as you stimulate him.

How are your little guys doing?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.