Thread: Rehabber around Zebulon/Raleigh NC for tame squirrel re-release.

Default Rehabber around Zebulon/Raleigh NC for tame squirrel re-release.

Hello, I have two 4 month old squirrels that I found when they were two weeks old. Their tree fell down and we were unable to reunite them with their mom. Initially we were hoping to re-release them back into the yard, but unfortunately they quickly became desensitized to our pet dogs that are also in the house. We keep them in a large flight-style cage in their own room, but the door is glass, and when they are out for their playtime, they can see the dogs and interact through the glass. As they grew older and it became clear that they are very imprinted on me, we decided to try to keep them in our family, especially because they are very tame. They love to cuddle and snuggle and be pet. I love them so much, but recent uncontrollable circumstances have made it impossible to give them the proper care they need to be their happiest and healthiest.

The trouble is, although they're still young, as mentioned above, they're very tame and they don't have a good sense of fear/wariness of danger. I wish I could rehab them for re-release myself, but I'm struggling with my health recently after a recent diagnosis, and my dad, who has been helping me with their care, is no longer very helpful because they are starting to get kind of aggressive with him.

It's clear that they want to be outside, so I would really love to get them with a rehabber who can help transition these very cuddly, pettable squirrels into healthy outside squirrels. I am located in Zebulon, North Carolina, but I can travel anywhere in the area. Proximity of Knightdale, Wendell, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc... Their names are Betelgeuse and Bellatrix. Bella currently needs calcium supplements because she has MBD (although with the treatments she's gone right back to normal).

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Rehabber around Zebulon/Raleigh NC for tame squirrel re-release.

Thank you for sharing about the squirrels you have raised. We have contacts in your area that should be able to help you as far as supporting wilding up these juveniles towards their successful release. A rehabber should be on soon to help you with your request.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

madameflan (07-18-2019)

I’m not in your area but will bump your thread to the top so that it stays active. Hopefully someone can be found to help you.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

madameflan (07-18-2019)

Please see PM for contact info.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GoldenEyes from:

madameflan (07-18-2019)