Thread: Babies smell strong urine

Default Babies smell strong urine

Hello ,
    Its a long time i did’nt come in .
    I need your help today:
    I have 2 babies squirrels of 5 weeks old who came at 4 weeks old with a strong smell of urine and peeying on them , they wet their bed . The babies was healthy , drink very well , poop normaly and grow everydays , the behavior was also normal for this age . I first thought about UTI , i asked to a rehabber friend antibiotics for UTI , she gave me Clavamox , i thought to remember than Clavamox was not for UTI but not sure , i look on the rehaber’s book and they write Clavamox was good for UTI . After 5 days i have no improvment i asked to my friend to given me Baytril , i thought it will be better for UTI . But i gave them for more than a week and no improvment at all ;-(
    My friend who are rehabber and myself rehabber also for 21 years have no idea what it can be and why Baytril dont do the job ...
    I thought maybe bordetella because they wet their bed but they have no others symptomes
    , they took weight everyday , drink very well their formula . Just they smell so bad and pee on themself ...
    We leave a message on the voice mail of an other rehabber of NY and waiting for an answer but no sure if she knows what to do .
    I would like to know if somebody has the case and what can works ...
    Thank you in advance for your help , i have 2 babies like that et my friend rehabbers have some others in the same case ...i hope its not contagious because they are with some others babys same age ( 5 and 6 weeks old )
    Thanks again
    flo
    NY state licenced
    Wildlife rehabilitator

Default Re: Babies smell strong urine

Formula pee really smells. These babies may have nothing at all wrong with them.

Change their bedding frequently - like several times a day, and make sure they are bedded with something absorbent. You want any pee to get sucked up by the bedding and wicked away, not sitting in puddles waiting to be laid on.

I would potty these babies before and after they are fed. Potty them, feed them, then let them bumble around for a couple minutes and then potty them a second time.

Young healthy babies does,nt smell strong urine , Lady Nature make good things , young babies does’nt smell urine for not attract predator on the nest . When i writed they smell a strong urine , its REALY strong totaly inusual for this age ( the color is clear )
    i used Fox Valley years ago and Esbillac with probiotics now and i dont have probleme of smell until this season with only 2 babies on 6 . I do baby squirrels for more than 20 years i have a lot of babies in spring and in summer each year and their urine does,nt smell like that when they are youngs and they dont pee on themself or in their bed if we dont stimulate them .

i stimulated them before and after each feeding but nothing change . And i change their bedding at each feeding and try to keep them dry but the pee goes out drop by drop permanently .....

I use for the first time Baytril injection 2.27% and give by oral ( on the advise of another rehabber ) . follow the dosage per weight .
    from the dosage of the rehabber book ( First 48h and beyond ). I give in 1 time per day but i will try tomorow to divided in 2 times per day but i doubt it will change something ...
    flo
    NY state licenced
    Wildlife rehabilitator

Hi Flo -- I am just seeing this post now because I was off line most of today. For how many days have they been on Baytril? It may take 4-5 days for a truly bad UTI to respond to the medicine. Twice a day split is probably a good idea. Do you have Clavamox? You can also give that along with probiotics to protect the gut flora. If you really believe the Baytril is NOT working, my next tactic would be to try doxycycline.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (05-04-2019)

Thanks a lot Maura 😘
    flo
    NY state licenced
    Wildlife rehabilitator

If it can help somebody with the same problem :
    On others rehabbers’s advise i stopped Baytril and give Bactrim (sulfa/trim ) 2 times per day and after 48 hours the 2 babies was dry , no dropping pee anymore ;-)
    flo
    NY state licenced
    Wildlife rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Flo from:

Nancy in New York (05-07-2019)