Thread: Maple "helicopter seeds" can baby eat?

Default Maple "helicopter seeds" can baby eat?

Hello, I have a 5-6 week old baby, very healthy (173 grams) , I would like to start her on her first solid foods in a week or so. She was born in our maple tree (you know the ones with the helicopter seeds. My question is, would that be a good choice of a food to introduce her on?

I will start feeding veggies and such as well but was just wondering because there is plenty in our backyard and its something she may be familiar with. Also, can I give her some dandelion heads to munch on? We never use pesticides in our yard, so its safe. Thanks for helping!

Default Re: Maple "helicopter seeds" can baby eat?

First solid food should be a quality rodent block which they should be eating and eating well before
    any other solids are introduced. Please read/study the pyramid on the healthy diet link below.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thank you, yes I do know this. I have some rodent blocks. But are the helicopter seeds ok for later?

I would very strongly suggest that instead of introducing her to these (which will be fine for a snack, later), you introduce her to a "rodent block" first as her base diet. Once she is eating these well, THEN the goodies like wild foods, fruit and veggies can be introduced. They are like kids - once they understand that pizza and ice cream are a thing, good luck with those fresh greens and steamed vegetables!

Almost all of us use these: https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ This is designed to be (1) tasty and (2) fortified in order to allow you to feed a variety of other foods without worrying overly much about MBD. The tasty part is really important, too.

Harlan Teklad (now Envigo) rodent blocks are pretty good though not nearly as yummy. Check ebay.

So get and give a block and let them fuss with that until they figure out it is food. Once they are eating them well, THEN introduce mostly veggies, a couple fruits, and your helicopters.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (04-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale1703 View Post
    Thank you, yes I do know this. I have some rodent blocks. But are the helicopter seeds ok for later?
    An older baby that's actually eating an established nutritional diet could have them as a treat in moderation the same as any nut as long as they are fresh and not been on the ground too long to get the (white) mold on them that many do. You were asking if a baby could have them and that comes under the same caution and guide lines for feeding any nut or seed to a growing baby.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thank you guys so much! I wanted to make sure they are not poisonous to her when I start her on solids (after her Rodent blocks). After her Rodent blocks is there a particular food you guys like to use as a first start to solids? (after her rodent blocks have been established)