Thread: Lucky newbie questions: I've been adopted by a wild female squirrel

CDRome Guest

Default Lucky newbie questions: I've been adopted by a wild female squirrel

Hello everyone and thanks for accepting me,

I am new to the board and new to squirrels as well, in the sense that I have recently been adopted by an adult female squirrel that has a nest along with other four squirrels high up on a very old cottonwood tree in front of my house in Denver, CO. I am surrounded by wildlife here as I live on a trail just a couple of miles down from a state park.

The squirrel first started approaching me a few weeks ago even when I was out with my dog. After a couple of days, I put a peanut in the shell on the ground and she came and grabbed and went a safe distance away and ate it. From that, in a very short time, we have reached the point when she runs down the tree when I come out of the house or when I call her, sits on my lap and eats peanuts from my hand and allows me to pet her even while she's eating, and... yesterday she did all that as well as allow me to lay my hand on her entire body, and then peed on me, too! Not sure if that's a sign of ownership or just a coincidence. She will even splat near me and my dog and will do more or less the same when I am out with my cat, though she is a little more wary of the cat. But when the screen door is shut, she'll sit on the other side with the dog and the cat on the inside and they'll all stare at each other. My dog is an Australian Shepherd that I have somewhat trained not to chase wildlife when we are out hiking in the mountains (though last summer she chased after a fox on a very windswept mountain top at 13000 ft and I almost thought I had lost her)...

I am not sure what to make of the squirrels behavior. I am thinking that she may have been raised in a household and then released into the wild.

So here are my questions:

1. Was the peeing just an accident or did it mean something?
    2. What are the potential troubles this relationship can create for me as far as things like the squirrel trying to get into the house or biting me, etc.
    3. I don't want to become a major food source for the squirrel. I only give her some peanuts (shelled since I later read that buried peanut shells can develop poisonous molds and be fatal to squirrels) and sometimes pecans or hazelnuts. I don't always go out when the squirrel comes and sits by the door waiting for me so that she knows that she can't rely on me alone as a food source. Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions as how I should change my actions so as to build a relationship without creating excessive dependency on her part or a nuisance out of her?

Name:  IMG_2398.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  108.1 KBName:  IMG_E1362.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  87.3 KBName:  IMG_1954.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  81.9 KBName:  IMG_E1774.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  143.0 KBName:  IMG_1390.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  147.0 KB

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CDRome:

Nancy in New York (05-03-2019), redwuff (04-29-2019), TubeDriver (04-30-2019)

Default Re: Lucky newbie questions: I've been adopted by a wild female squirrel

Your squirrel looks like a young fox squirrel. Something might have happened to its mother and it is looking for help. It’s hard for me to tell how old it is, we don’t have them in Florida, but judging by the size of your hand next to it, it seems small. Fox squirrels are larger than gray squirrels.

It sounds to me like you’ve given a lot of thought into your interactions with her. Many folks on her supplement their wild yard squirrels diets, especially during the winter. Peanuts are one of the least healthy nuts for them, though. Almonds are much better. You can also purchase Henry’s Healthy Blocks from Henry’s Pets online. They are chock full of vitamins so just a couple a day will provide excellent nutrition for her. They are a little pricey, though. I feed my wilds avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut chunks and small chunks of fresh corn, too.

I understand you not wanting her to become dependent on you for food, but I’m not sure how you determine what is too much.

She’s very cute!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (04-29-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

She looks like a nursing Mom (look at her nipples in the pic with your glove) and since you said she lives in the Cottonwood with other squirrels, I'm assuming the others are her babies. When babies get big, they take a lot out of Mom...they eat a lot and Mom has to make a lot of milk. She is likely seeking help from you because she needs it. There is a fine line of creating a dependency, but she's asking for help. I'd give it to her.

Try some healthy stuff like Mel suggested. I generally don't feed the Henry's Blocks to my wilds (the cost and shear volume...20+ squirrels a day), but when I have a nursing Mom looking for food on my deck, I roll out the red carpet, Henry's Blocks and all.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Diggie's Friend (05-03-2019), Grinderhead (04-29-2019), gunpackingrandma (04-29-2019), Mel1959 (04-29-2019), redwuff (04-29-2019), stepnstone (04-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    She looks like a nursing Mom (look at her nipples in the pic with your glove) and since you said she lives in the Cottonwood with other squirrels, I'm assuming the others are her babies. When babies get big, they take a lot out of Mom...they eat a lot and Mom has to make a lot of milk. She is likely seeking help from you because she needs it. There is a fine line of creating a dependency, but she's asking for help. I'd give it to her.

Try some healthy stuff like Mel suggested. I generally don't feed the Henry's Blocks to my wilds (the cost and shear volume...20+ squirrels a day), but when I have a nursing Mom looking for food on my deck, I roll out the red carpet, Henry's Blocks and all.
    Good eye, MM. I totally missed that.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (04-29-2019), Milo's Mom (04-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Good eye, MM. I totally missed that.
    I was right there with you the whole way. But then I was just looking at the pics remembering and there sat a nipple. A NIPPLE! I went back and re-read and re-looked. Those nipples can be sneaky!

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (04-29-2019)

CDRome Guest

Thank you both for your quick replies! The photo is deceiving. She isn't that small, although I think she’s on the younger side. Her belly and nipples grew in the past few weeks and I was assuming that she might be pregnant. The other squirrels that she plays and seems to share a nest with are the same size as her. They hang around together and once, before this one befriended me, they had a noisy fight in the hedge near my door, which I filmed. Then they all ran away but this one turned around and came back a little ways and looked at me before running away again. After that episode she started getting closer and closer, until eventually she ended up in my lap.

What do you make of a wild squirrel being so fearless? Is that common?

It isn't necessarily common, but it's not unheard of. I've had a few wilds become quite friendly for reasons known only to them. I will say however, that when that happens I consider it a gift. Over the years I've noticed that some are just friendly, some are curious, and some know that they need a little extra support. When I'm gifted with a friendly wild I try to not create the dependency, but I also allow them to guide the relationship. Sometimes they fade away and go on their way, and sometimes others end up having a tough time and need me to step in with additional support.

My advice to you is to allow your beautiful girl to guide the relationship. Provide her with a couple healthy treats. Not a meal, but just a few yummy easy to get treats, but keep them healthy. Try to keep her away from the cats and dogs. Squirrels are smart, like wicked smart and it takes us humans a little time to catch up with them. I might not allow her to climb onto your lap, as she is a wild and she can move on to another yard and person just as fast she she did to you; the next person might not be as kind. And above all else, cherish the friendship she has given you...not everyone receives that gift.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Diggie's Friend (05-03-2019), Mel1959 (04-30-2019)

It’s not necessarily common, but when in need they can be. As you suggested, it could have been raised and released by someone, if you have neighbors within a mile of you. They can cover a significant amount of territory, although males tend to more than females. Once they know you are not a threat they can warm up to you a lot. Case-in-point....We have a wild female squirrel that has befriended us (my husband in particular) over the last couple of years that will come through an open window in my husbands office (he works from home), jump up on his leg, then onto his desk, take a nut and sit on the desk and eat it. She’ll then take a couple for the road and jump down and go back out the window. She allows us to touch and pet her, even with food in her mouth. I KNOW this is a wild and not one that has been released. I live in a neighborhood with houses all around and I am the only one doing any raising and releasing here.

I would invest in a bag of Henry’s blocks and provide her some sound nutrition as she’s probably pregnant or had a litter and needs some good nutrition. Pregnancy and nursing takes a lot out of a squirrel.

The peeing on you could just be coincidental or she could be marking you. You don’t need to worry about catching anything from a squirrel. They typically don’t carry diseases and are not a rabies vector species. As for getting into your house/attic, it’s always a possibility, but I have never had that happen and I feed lots of wilds daily. They get into attics to nest so you might want to consider putting up a wooden nest box in a tree ,or two, to provide a safe place for them to live.

Congratulations, you have now been touched by squirrel magic! It’s pretty special!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Milo's Mom (04-30-2019)

CDRome Guest

Thank you both again! Yes, this little thing is pure magic in her friendliness and bravery! I am going to order some good stuff for her although I'll probably opt for the ones specific to wild squirrels from Squirrel Nutrition as they seem to be a little less expensive than Harry's, especially if ordered in bulk :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CDRome View Post
    Thank you both again! Yes, this little thing is pure magic in her friendliness and bravery! I am going to order some good stuff for her although I'll probably opt for the ones specific to wild squirrels from Squirrel Nutrition as they seem to be a little less expensive than Harry's, especially if ordered in bulk :-)
    NOOOOO! Please, those are not as healthy as they are made out to be. The Henry's WildBites are very economical and are made from foods approved for humans...squirrel nutrition not so much.

Please, if you're going to spend money to assist your beautiful girl, spend it on the best. You'll be using 2 blocks a day from Henry's at the very most, that's just a few cents a day for a single squirrel.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (05-03-2019)

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Milo's Mom (05-03-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.