Thread: Fractured leg or toe - need help and advise

elena Guest

Default Fractured leg or toe - need help and advise

Please, help me.... Poor squirrel might have if not leg, then a toe definitely broken... It is swollen, dark in color... It looks like the nail is disconnecting from the skin. Poor boy, he can't step on it and he is consistently liking it.... We live in rural area, no vets around. Is there anything that we might be able to do to ease his pain? He is sleeping most of the time, coming out couple of times a day to drink and have some lite food…. Thanx to everybody, who will reply.

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  93.3 KB

Default Re: Fractured leg or toe - need help and advise

What happened to his toe? How did it get injured? How long ago did this happen? Do you have any infant ibuprofen, meloxicam or tramadol? Someone can help you dose for the pain if you can find any of these drugs and provide the mg of the drug and the weight of the squirrel.

Are those puncture wounds on top of the foot?

elena Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What happened to his toe? How did it get injured? How long ago did this happen? Do you have any infant ibuprofen, meloxicam or tramadol? Someone can help you dose for the pain if you can find any of these drugs and provide the mg of the drug and the weight of the squirrel.
    I don’t know exactly what have happened, because he was outside. When I found him 7 days ago, he was already injured. His leg was swollen, but finger wasn’t sticking out. Two days later it started changing color, got swollen and now he doesn’t step on it .
    I bought liquid infant ibuprofen berry flavor, but I don’t know how much he weighs, because he is afraid to go on the scale. My guess is – around a pound, he is not big. What is the best way to give it to him?
    Does he need some anti-inflammatory drug or antibiotic?

elena Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Are those puncture wounds on top of the foot?
    It doesn’t look like puncture, more like scratch. I did not notice it when I found him, but he had torn fur on the side of the body and scratched lip.

elena Guest

Thank you very much for your advise : he is doing much better after two days of taking infant ibuprofen. His leg is not as swollen as it was, and he can even step on it.

I’m glad to hear he is doing better. Did someone give you dosing for the ibuprofen?

Get a container that he wil fit in with a lid and set that on the scale and 0 it out. Then add your squirrel and you'll have a weight . He should have antibiotics as well, incase he was hurt by a cat.

Is this your first squirrel?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

elena Guest

I’m glad to hear he is doing better. Did someone give you dosing for the ibuprofen?
    No, there is nobody to talk about it, I am just guessing and either squeeze a couple of drops from plastic syringe straight into his mouth or dip pecan in it. Yesterday and today he came out in the morning and during the day but leg swells up in the evening, and he is in pain. I think him licking the top of the leg caused a small wound on his foot bridge.
    Thank you again for your care and attention, and good advice

elena Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Get a container that he wil fit in with a lid and set that on the scale and 0 it out. Then add your squirrel and you'll have a weight . He should have antibiotics as well, incase he was hurt by a cat.

Is this your first squirrel?
    Hi, yes this is my first one. I will try to weight him in container, but he became very alert and even scared now, so not sure it will work out. He probably weighs up to a pound. He is about 8 months old. His leg feels wormer than the rest of the body. How can one give antibiotic to squirrel?

elena Guest

I would like to give some updates regarding our brave boy Kuzia : he is doing much better now and he “asked” me to thank everybody, who helped him to get to this point))) Besides the medication I have also sanitized his leg with fresh squeezed Aloe, which helped to reduce inflammation and swollenness a lot. I also kept him away of excessive activity like running and climbing and now he is almost back to normal: his leg does have some deformity, finger is still sticking out, but he can step on it, jump, climb and enjoy his life. Soon I will post a picture of his leg now for comparison, in case somebody would search this case for possible answers.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to elena:

Mel1959 (05-09-2019), Scooterzmom (05-08-2019)

In order to dose any mediction we need the weight - in grams - of the squirrel. A small kichen scale usually can do the job for that. You can buy one, keep the bill and return it in a week or so when you don't need it anymore *hushhhh

Meds are best administered orally by syringe - no needle of course - but could also be given with a treat like a boo-ball if the little fellow doesn't let you handle him.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.