Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky - eye is cloudy white

Default Rocky - eye is cloudy white

I recently realized that Rocky's left eye has a white cloudiness to the center. Not sure how long this has been there I may have seen it before and thought it was just a reflection of light. This is not a reflection. I took close-up pics of both eyes to show the difference.

This is an infection? diet is a possibility? i've read thru dozens of threads re- cloudy eyes and very few of those had the happy ending i'm praying for.

I do not have antibiotics on hand. We have vets all around but I live in a state where pet squirrels are not legal (VA).

What can I do to diagnose this? or treat it?

Name:  IMG_8739.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  99.0 KBName:  IMG_8736.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  81.5 KBName:  IMG_8719.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  79.0 KBName:  IMG_8726.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  63.9 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

LR (02-08-2018)

Default Re: Rocky - eye is cloudy white

this is a pic of the healthy other eye

Name:  IMG_8731.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  83.9 KB

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

cava (02-08-2018)

I think you may be able to buy Terramycin online but I'm not sure if it's indicated for this so I'll let other's chime in.

I'm rooting for ya.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

justAddNuts (02-10-2018)

How old is Rocky? If you look at his eye from the side (so you can see across the surface of his eye ball) does it look nice and smooth? Sometimes if there is a scratch or puncture you can actually see a rough or dented area on the eye. There are special stains that vets have to make it more apparent, but sometimes you can see it without the stain.
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

justAddNuts (02-09-2018), LR (02-09-2018)

his eyes are very smooth - I see no sign of damage or irritation. his eyes are not watery. he's not blinking or showing any indication that his vision is affected in any way.

BUT - I just got him out for a while and looked at both eyes closely in good light. The other eye - his right one - is starting to get the same light white disc inside of it too. Whatever is going on with his left eye - his right eye is starting to get it too.

That's either one hell of a coincidence or maybe this is diet?

Rocky is 6 1/2 years old. I found him when he was ~4 weeks and i've cared for him since. He has not been outside nor in contact with any other animals.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to justAddNuts:

4Puddles (02-08-2018), LR (02-09-2018)

Is he drinking and urinating normally? (Not excessively?)
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

justAddNuts (02-10-2018), LR (02-09-2018)

I have not noticed anything unusual. Not sure I would notice even if he did start doing that. he usually drinks ~2-4 oz of water a day. I don't see an unusual amount of "pee spots" in his cage tray bedding - nothing to cause concern. I'll watch for that.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to justAddNuts:

4Puddles (02-08-2018), LR (02-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by justAddNuts View Post
    I have not noticed anything unusual. Not sure I would notice even if he did start doing that. he usually drinks ~2-4 oz of water a day. I don't see an unusual amount of "pee spots" in his cage tray bedding - nothing to cause concern. I'll watch for that.
    I ask because there is a known link to diabetes and the development of cataracts. Other things could be causing the clouding, however if it is affecting both eyes then I feel like a corneal injury or tumor would be unlikely. Glaucoma can cause eye clouding but usually the eyes are extremely painful. What diet have you been feeding?

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

I'm not sure about the other eye. I took another close look at it last night and I could not see enough white to justify concern ... yet. The left eye though is pretty obvious. It has to be getting worse there is no way I could've missed it the way it looks now.

His diet: everyday he gets sugar snap peas (he eats the beans out of them), baby corn, zuccini, okra, iceberg lettuce, green lettuce, carrots, oranges, banana peels, mint leaves, rosemary - he has an inventory of nuts: hard-shell pecans, almonds, filberts, walnuts and the occasional pistaccio. Yesterday he consumed one almond and one filbert (I know I can count the empty shells in his cage). That seems about average.

I have not noticed him eating more or less than usual lately.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

LR (02-09-2018)

Does he get any type of rodent block? Do you have access to a vet?

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

justAddNuts (02-09-2018)

forgot about the important part - yes he eats Henry's picky blocks - at least one maybe 2 a day.

there are vets all around - i'm in the DC suburbs of Va.

Just typed up this story for someone else. I'll copy and paste.

Francis one of my boy releases from last summer was fine one day and his left eye was completely white and cloudy the next day. I'd never seen it happen like that. I freaked out of course, but ended up putting triple antibiotic eye ointment in it 2x a day and by the end of the week his eye was fine. Looking back, he must have gotten a scratch while playing. I bet this guy ends up just fine too. So glad to see it getting better!

If you can get some triple antibiotic eye ointment from a vet I'd get that right away and start applying it to his eyes, Chances are he scratched it somehow. If you are able to get the ointment make SURE and I mean SURE that it is the eye ointment WITHOUT steriods. I will repeat just to make sure you have to MAKE SURE the ointment does NOT HAVE steriods.

If it is a scratch it will clear up very quickly. If it is something else it won't and then you can look into diabetes or other issues.

Good luck
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

forgot about the important part - yes he eats Henry's picky blocks - at least one maybe 2 a day.

there are vets all around - i'm in the DC suburbs of Va.
    Sorry, I didn’t have any answers for the cloudy eye. I have never dealt with that and didn’t have anything to contribute.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (02-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    If you can get some triple antibiotic eye ointment from a vet I'd get that right away and start applying it to his eyes, Chances are he scratched it somehow. If you are able to get the ointment make SURE and I mean SURE that it is the eye ointment WITHOUT steriods. I will repeat just to make sure you have to MAKE SURE the ointment does NOT HAVE steriods.
    Good luck
    How about Terramycin? contains oxytetracycline hydrochloride - I recognize tetracycline in that - Supports the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Keratitis, Pink Eye, Corneal Ulcer, and Blepharitis in dogs, cats, cattle, sheep and horses.

If I get this stuff how would I apply it? To the closed eyelids or somehow try to dab his open eye with it? How in the world am I going to pull that off?

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

LR (02-10-2018)

How about Terramycin? contains oxytetracycline hydrochloride - I recognize tetracycline in that - Supports the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Keratitis, Pink Eye, Corneal Ulcer, and Blepharitis in dogs, cats, cattle, sheep and horses.

If I get this stuff how would I apply it? To the closed eyelids or somehow try to dab his open eye with it? How in the world am I going to pull that off?
    You can get terramycin at tractor supply, I saw some on the shelf just last weekend! You want to apply it directly in the eye. Sending you a PM

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

justAddNuts (02-10-2018), LR (02-10-2018)

That's the Tractor Supply on Balls Ford? Info online says I can get it no Rx at Walgreens or Walmart. Will try locally and if no success will travel west to there. Thanks ten million times over to everyone for helping. He's still very playful and shows no signs of visual impairment or discomfort. I want to keep it that way and get his eye healed.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to justAddNuts:

4Puddles (02-10-2018), cava (02-13-2018)

I struck out at Walgreens and at Walmart. Did not have it.

So unless I think of something better - i'm driving to Tractor Supply in Manassas this afternoon.

I have found it online - with express ordering / shipping I can get it Tuesday. That's 3 days away. That could be a really long time if this eye starts getting worse. I'm buying this online as a backup. I'm still heading to Tractor Supply in Manassas.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

4Puddles (02-10-2018)

Scored 2 tubes of Terramycin from Tractor Supply in Manassas. Super special thanks to 4Puddles and cava for pointing me at Terramycin and helping me find it and hopefully apply it the right way - from Rocky and me.

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to justAddNuts:

4Puddles (02-10-2018), cava (02-13-2018), LR (02-12-2018)

I'm really worried about him now. I got him out to play last night and he showed signed of being nearly blind. For example - he fell off his cage. He was walking around the top of it and just fell over the side - rolled down the side and caught himself halfway down. Also - he jumps onto my shoulders or arms from things like his cage. Last night he jumped straight into my face once and into the side of my head twice. He NEVER does that.

I've always suspected this squirrel has poor vision. if he were human he's be wearing thick glasses all his life. I've always suspected that this was a huge part of why he never left when given the many chances - he always found me and came back to me - but had a difficult time finding me - like he couldn't see me - could only rely on being able to smell me (poor squirrel).

I'm applying Terramycin 2x daily now and praying for him. I'm attaching a pic from last night.

Name:  IMG_8785.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  105.0 KBName:  IMG_8787.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  101.9 KB

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to justAddNuts from:

TubeDriver (02-13-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast