Thread: Antibiotic question

Default Antibiotic question

I am seeing that it is a good idea to have Baytril on hand, if needed. I happen to have some old Bird Biotic. Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg but the bottle does show expired March 2011. If i did ever need would these suffice?

Default Re: Antibiotic question

Doxy is one of the few meds that really SHOULDN'T be used after the expiration date, so, no.

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is a very common human med that is usable in place of Baytril - they are all but the same drug.

But baytril and cipro are both fairly narrow in what they treat well. In rehabbing it is used mostly for aspiration pneumonia and for urinary tract infections. You need different meds to treat different issues. Many human meds can be used once they are properly diluted and dosed.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

nscott@farmersagent.com (05-01-2019), stepnstone (04-28-2019)

I agree with Mel Doxy can't be used when it is old, it actually becomes toxic. Anything else, I'd say keep and use

IMO, Clavamox is the drug to have on hand at all times. Human version is Augmentin. If I had to pick 2 antibiotics that I must have it would be Clavamox and Clindamycin.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

nscott@farmersagent.com (05-01-2019)

Thank you. What is the best way to obtain to have some on hand? My squirrel doing really well but wouldn't hurt to have on hand just in case!

You can go online to joespetmeds.com and see what antibiotics might be available. This company is in Australia, but many folks have purchased from them with no issues.

I get some meds from friends who had extra stuff from their dog and cat vet visits. I also have vets I work with who will write scripts for the drugs I need. Clavamox is called Augmentin in the human form. If a vet will write you some scripts you could buy them at Walmart and it is really cheap
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

This source is one that has been used in for a number of years for an adult tree squirrel. It can also be used for weaned juveniles.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-cap.../dp/B005PJN2HO

This Pre/Probiotic Soil Based Organism (SBO) formula by Vitality Science, contains Humates.

The size (number of capsules), and potency varies for size of pet (Cat or Dog), yet both contain the same ingredients just a different dosage)

Include (1/64 Tsp.) of the powder daily out of capsule from source noted for cats. (No additives, no flavors, or colors, etc.)

Can be added to Plain organic yogurt that contain another kind of probiotic.