Thread: New member

Squirrelbait Guest

Default New member

I joined this to look for some advice. I have a almost two-year-old fox squirrel. I raised him from about a week old, and he's always been the sweetest little boy. Literally just up until three days ago when I started noticing him being a little more aggressive, he was nesting so I didn't think much of it, but I accidentally stepped on his tail and set off the series of events to bring me here. He bit me several times and ever since then he has been trying to get my hands. He lunges at my feet and he's never done any of this before. After every bite I put him back in his room, and I am still actively handling him as I want him to still be a sweet little baby. Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so can they please give me some advice on how to get him to trust me again.

Default Re: New member

to TheSquirrelBoard

Actually it's pretty common. The first thing we like to ask is does your boy have a stash of nuts. If they have nuts hidden they can be very aggressive in protecting them. If he does have nuts hidden, the first thing you should do is remove the nut stash.... when he isn't looking of course. They can get pretty aggressive about that.

We also like to assess the overall health by asking about the diet. Most people aren't aware that too many nuts can be deadly to a captive squirrel. It leads to a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease. It is a painful condition that is also fatal if not treated and the diet changed. A squirrel suffering from MBD associated pain might get aggressive. What are you feeding your friend.

Squirrels react to different smells. If you have a new shampoo, cologne, hand cream, etc they go bonkers and will attack. If you don't 'smell right' they will bite you.

There is also the possibility that your boy is 'wilding up'. It is very common. Even the sweetest squirrel can reach a time where the hormones kick in and they start to be driven by their instinct. Their instincts are to be a wild animal. We had a squirrel just last week with the same issue. After repeated attempts to win back her sweet baby she made the decision to prepare her for release. Often that is the right answer and frankly the only answer.

I doubt that stepping on the tail was the only factor involved. I know of many squirrels that have the tail degloved and they do get over it without turning on you for life.

Squirrelbait Guest

Default Re: New member

He's very spoiled and I give him what I know he loves. Sugar snap peas are his most favorite. He's always stashed nuts all over, and even my dogs find them all about the house. Release isn't an option as he has no fear of me or anyone who has been around him. No fear of my dogs. Every once in a while he's nested, but this last week, I moved a portable cage to the top of my fridge so he had more places to sleep etc. But since then he's been a brat. He always tucks himself in his tower in his own bedroom at night, and when I'm home all day he's always been out freely to roam. This morning he let me kiss him on his head, and he's always let me just handle him however because he trusted me. I'm just worried that he's not going to any more. He's the most precious thing to me and I will keep trying to help him get back or close to my beautiful boy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.