Thread: First time rescuer. Diarrhea starting

Default First time rescuer. Diarrhea starting

I am on day 5 of having the baby squirrel. I am guessing she is 3 weeks old, weighs 50 g. Started on pedialyte to rehydrate. She was constipated and not peeing. After 36 hours approximately started peeing and small pellet hard poop but had gas. Pee is now clear and pooped a lot yesterday am but towards end of day was looser. No more gas , no bloating. Ia was also giving liquid puppy milk which I stopped last night after discovering this board. I ordered fox and that should be here in about 5 days. So I made the homemade formula listed here w goats milk, yogurt and 1/8 c heavy whipping cream as described. But last feeding her stool pale and more runny. I did sprinkle some acidophilus in her food mid morning after reading that too. Donít want it to get worse! What should I do? So worried

Default Re: First time rescuer. Diarrhea starting

Thought I should add I believe I was over feeding her at 5 cc and lowered to 2.5 last night so 5 percent where body weight. I also failed to gradually transition her from the puppy liquid formula to the gm formula. I see that was a mistake. Should I switch back to the puppy milk or transition back til fox comes in ? Should I give water or pedialyte ? I donít think diarrhea bad yet but donít want it to happen either!

Quote Originally Posted by nscott@farmersagent.com View Post
    I ordered fox and that should be here in about 5 days.
    Which Fox Valley formula did you order (20/50 or 32/40)?

So I made the homemade formula listed here w goats milk, yogurt and 1/8 c heavy whipping cream as described. But last feeding her stool pale and more runny. I did sprinkle some acidophilus in her food mid morning after reading that too. Donít want it to get worse! What should I do? So worried

Thought I should add I believe I was over feeding her at 5 cc and lowered to 2.5 last night so 5 percent where body weight. I also failed to gradually transition her from the puppy liquid formula to the gm formula. I see that was a mistake.
    Over-feeding will result in pale, runny diarrhea. If you decreased her feedings to the 5% I would stay the course and not switch back. But I would offer some pedialyte in-between feedings until the poop firms up.

Can you post a picture of her for us? That always helps...

I ordered the 20/50.
    Donít know if Iím being paranoid now but I do also hear very random clicking. Almost sounds like her teeth rubbing against each other? Click sound like once every 1-2 minutes or so. Thank Very active at feeding and good appetite too. I will post a picture

I ordered the 20/50.
    Donít know if Iím being paranoid now but I do also hear very random clicking. Almost sounds like her teeth rubbing against each other? Click sound like once every 1-2 minutes or so. Thank Very active at feeding and good appetite too. I will post a picture

Just to confirm the 20/50 is terrific. The 32/40 is deadly (for very young squirrels).

Yes, they can make random "click like noises"... random is good from the perspective that AP (Aspiration Pneumonia) causes a consistent click associated with their breathing. Active and a good appetite also are counter to AP which causes lethargy and a loss of appetite!

Since AP is hands down the number one killer of baby squirrels under the care of humans, it is a good precaution to have antibiotics on hand (Baytril (animal) or Cipro (Human) are best and fastest acting, Clavamox (animal) or Augmentin (Human) are nest best.. others will work but may be slower acting or less effective). If you can get a single pill to have on hand, I would highly recommend that... ask family and friends if you have none.