Thread: Baby jumped and hit concrete, now limps and sneezes

Violet_the_squirrel Guest

Exclamation Baby jumped and hit concrete, now limps and sneezes

Hi. I've been taking Violet outside a couple minutes a day to get her some fresh air and get her used to the sights and sounds of the yard. Today she was running through the yard, climbed a tree trunk, dug in the dirt, she loved it!
    She was on my shoulder as I was walking in the house and as I passed my truck, she attempted to jump to it, missed it, and landed on the concrete driveway on her right shoulder. I'm not sure if she hit her head.
    It all happened so fast! I brought her in, fed her, let her rest, now she's trying to run around but she can't put to much pressure on her right arm. This was 40 minutes ago since it happened. She's becoming more and more active and trying to use it more and more. What should I do? Is this life threatening?

Default Re: Baby jumped and hit concrete, now limps and sneezes

I doubt it’s life threatening, but she could have sprained her arm or even broken it. Is she putting any weight on it? Is she able to move it?

She may just need some time for it to get better. I would keep her in the cage to discourage her from doing any running and jumping.

I’m not sure if others feel some infant ibuprofen is called for or not. You would need Violets weight and let us know if you have infant ibuprofen and the strength.

I caution you about letting Violet out in the yard without a cage. She’s liable to climb a tree and not come down....it’s happened before.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (04-27-2019)

Post Re: Baby jumped and hit concrete, now limps and sneezes

She can put some weight on it. I've even thought about popsicle sticks to keep it straight but she would chew it. I thought she was going to keep going up the tree until she turned around and have me the MOM HELP ME look.

Keep her in the cage and limit her use of the leg. If it’s a pulled muscle she’ll need some time to let it heal.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Arrow Re: Baby jumped and hit concrete, now limps and sneezes

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I doubt it’s life threatening, but she could have sprained her arm or even broken it. Is she putting any weight on it? Is she able to move it?

She may just need some time for it to get better. I would keep her in the cage to discourage her from doing any running and jumping.

I’m not sure if others feel some infant ibuprofen is called for or not. You would need Violets weight and let us know if you have infant ibuprofen and the strength.

I caution you about letting Violet out in the yard without a cage. She’s liable to climb a tree and not come down....it’s happened before.
    I have a scale now. She weighs 182g. How much ibuprofen should I give her and how much is the ideal feeding for her. She gets rodent blocks twice a day

I have PM'd the Ibuprofen information.

A 182 gram squirrel is very small, please do not take her outdoors (unless caged) and do read up on the soft release process. Is this a Red squirrel by chance?

She should still be on formula at least 2X daily...

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

kcassidy (04-26-2019)

Hey Violet, welcome to the group.

Is this your first squirrel? Can you share pictures? We all love seeing every squirrel we can LOL

Spanky is right, there isn't any reason to take a 7 - 8 week old baby outside right now. Because this type of thing could happen.

What are you feeding her? What's her name?

Thanks
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    Hey Violet, welcome to the group.

Is this your first squirrel? Can you share pictures? We all love seeing every squirrel we can LOL

Spanky is right, there isn't any reason to take a 7 - 8 week old baby outside right now. Because this type of thing could happen.

What are you feeding her? What's her name?

Thanks
    Hi! Yes she is my first squirrel. Her name is Violet. I'm still learning how to upload things here. I did it successfully once lol. She is now on Fox valley 20/50, picky rodent blocks, and some veggies(she loves avocado). We started off on puppy formula and have come a long way. I wish I knew how to upload videos. I have the cutest ones of her
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awwwwwww a Foxer. You could upload it to Vimeo or Youtube and then share the link. If not, you can send me the video in a text to 917.628.8177 I'll upload it for you.

Glad that you are feeding FV 20/50 that is perfect. Are you planning on releasing her?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

A trick I learned about the videos: after uploading to YouTube and viewing it yourself, copy the link at the top of the browser window rather than the YouTube Share Link. Then, use the video tool in the menubar of this reply form to paste that browser link.

This makes the actual video appear right in your post rather than just the link that then brings the viewer to YouTube.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to missPixy from:

kcassidy (04-29-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.