Thread: Help Needed in SE Michigan

rpenterics Guest

Default Help Needed in SE Michigan

Hello,
    a baby fox squirrel found us (he ran to my wife's feet crying) in our front yard - unable to get the mother to take him back (he appeared to have an injured leg), based on guides online I would guess he's around 5 or 6 weeks old. We have fed him water and some applesauce and he seems to be doing much better but have been unable to contact a rehabber to take him - hoping the folks on here can provide some help with finding somewhere to take him or provide some help to give him better care until we do. Located in Lenawee county Michigan

Thanks

Default Re: Help Needed in SE Michigan

Thank you for helping him. This baby will need formula. Make sure he’s hydrated and warm, ideally before offering anything. Place a non shut off heating pad set to low underneath one half of a plastic bin. Add fleece, blankets or t shirts so he has something to burrow in.

The formula you need is Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula with a picture of a white puppy on the label and a blue banner that says “with pre and probiotics”. NOTHING ELSE WILL DO! Not the liquid, not another type made by the same company. They don’t provide the correct balance of nutrition and cause diarrhea. You can usually find Esbilac at Tractor Supply, Pet Supermarket, Petco and some PetSmarts and Walmart’s. If you can’t get this baby placed with someone soon, you will need to begin feeding. A 1 or 3 cc syringe will work, but no bottle.

Here is the name of a vet/rehabber in Michigan. I don’t know the proximity of where it is to where you are: St. Francis Animal Hospital. Dr. Marilyn Kedzierski, 45505 Garfield, Macomb, MI 48044, 586-228-8387.

Please let us know how things go.

rpenterics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Thank you for helping him. This baby will need formula. Make sure he’s hydrated and warm, ideally before offering anything. Place a non shut off heating pad set to low underneath one half of a plastic bin. Add fleece, blankets or t shirts so he has something to burrow in.

The formula you need is Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula with a picture of a white puppy on the label and a blue banner that says “with pre and probiotics”. NOTHING ELSE WILL DO! Not the liquid, not another type made by the same company. They don’t provide the correct balance of nutrition and cause diarrhea. You can usually find Esbilac at Tractor Supply, Pet Supermarket, Petco and some PetSmarts and Walmart’s. If you can’t get this baby placed with someone soon, you will need to begin feeding. A 1 or 3 cc syringe will work, but no bottle.

Here is the name of a vet/rehabber in Michigan. I don’t know the proximity of where it is to where you are: St. Francis Animal Hospital. Dr. Marilyn Kedzierski, 45505 Garfield, Macomb, MI 48044, 586-228-8387.

Please let us know how things go.
    We have been unable to find anywhere to take him in so in the last several weeks we have acquired a non shut off heating pad and a former chinchilla cage (multi level 36"x30"x60" high) and he seems to be doing well (growing and now climbing/jumping etc), still feeding the esbilac formula but assume he will be wanting solid foods soon (he has eaten some small pieces of apples and oranges) - what should we be giving him then? Also what will be the steps for release when possible?

Thanks

The first solids should be a good rodent block. Acceptable rodent blocks that can be bought at pet retailers are Mazuri rodent block or Oxbow rodent block. A better one is Envigo Teklad 2018 that can be purchased online. I buy it on Amazon from resellers in small portions. It is sold in 33lb bags so resellers aliquot it into 1,2,5 pound bags. Henry’s Healthy Pets sells a block made specifically for squirrels. I always buy the picky eater block as mine always hate the high protein baby blocks.

When he is eating the block well, you can start introducing healthy veggies.... kale, broccoli, sugar snap peas, etc.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

The link says Pet Squirrels but actually it applies to captive/rehab squirrels as well.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (05-21-2019), stepnstone (05-26-2019)

Do you still need assistance from a licensed rehabber in your area?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.