Thread: Needing help from the wonderful Squirrel Rehabbers who also take in raccoons

Default Needing help from the wonderful Squirrel Rehabbers who also take in raccoons

It's been awhile but I have recently received one orphaned raccoon. Received on Saturday, weighed in at 708 grams. Today, 940 grams. Following the standard intake protocol. Baby seems healthy. No parasites or injuries. Started deworming.

My question is this, I live in Montana and have zero access to any Veterinary care. I am in search of distempter and rabies vaccines. I am looking for anyone rehabbing babies in my area to put him with but until then I would like to keep this little guy healthy. So, if anyone can help me locate the vaccines I would be eternally grateful. I am willing to pay all costs to get them here soon. Thank you so much!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Needing help from the wonderful Squirrel Rehabbers who also take in raccoons

BUMP!

Hope someone with raccoon experience sees this.

Default Re: Needing help from the wonderful Squirrel Rehabbers who also take in raccoons

Dog distemper vaccines are available at Tractor Supply but they don’t have rabies shots.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Rabies vaccines are available at Jeffers. But you have to check if they are legally allowed to ship to your state and which one would be appropriate. You'll also need to worm it as of a certain age and every so many weeks until release.

I would send a PM to farm mom. She loves her coonies and raises a slew of them every year. I generally avoid them like the plague.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

stepnstone (05-26-2019)

Okay so I buy them in flats of 25, which I don't think you need LOL. But you can buy them in smaller doses.

You're going to need minimum of 4 vaccines for the dog distemper/parvo, many folks used to do Cat Parvo vaccines as well. This year many are just doing the dog one. That's what I'd do as well.

Here is what many use including me: https://www.revivalanimal.com/produc...plies-vaccines

If you only have 1 raccoon then you'll want to try and find 4 single shots. Rabies https://www.revivalanimal.com/produc...sku=30495-1220 I think this is the smallest bottle.

Here is the protocol

upon intake - worm with Nemex, if you see worms in the next poop worm again in 5 days, keep doing the 5 day protocol til you no longer see worms. Then you dose it 1x a month forever.
    after the raccoon is stabilized and eyes open, you start the series of Distemper shots. So lets say at 6weeks of age, then you give one at 8weeks, then 10 weeks, then 12 weeks.

When they are around 4 months old you give the Rabies vaccine, then 2 weeks later a second rabies vaccine, if you are keeping the raccoon, you give it once a year if you're releasing that's it. Unless you keep them a year

That's it.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

stepnstone (05-26-2019)