Thread: Need prednisone dosing for baby

Hybrid View

Default Need prednisone dosing for baby

Not technically life threatening but time-sensitive, I think.

7-8ish week old little boy. Friend of a friend found him outside her house last night when she came home from work around 5:15. Has kept him warm. He is clean, no fleas or and barely dehydrated.

His legs are limp most of the time but they also pushed back against my hand here and there, and at another time he pulled one leg up to his tummy while I held him.

Another important detail is that he had a small dark scab near his upper lip and nose, and his top incisors were tiny stubs. Hopefully they’ll grow back but likely evidence of a fall. Doesn’t seem recent though, yet this little boy seems too healthy to have been on his own very long.

I’ve got two 20mg prednisone tablets. He weighs 1.16lbs. Should I start now, or wait to see what my vet might prefer? I’ve read some think gabapentin is actually better for restoring mobility. Was thinking xrays might still be helpful.

Anyway I got him to take around 4.0ml of formula. He is very light sensitive and wants to be under cover at all times.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

Default Re: Need prednisone dosing for baby

This morning I woke up and thought to myself, "how can a 7-8 week baby weigh a pound?!?" I think because his tail isn't fully fluffed, it deceived me about his age. his paralysis likely has affected his tail fluffing ability?

anyway I am going to re-weigh him today & make sure my scale didn't give me a weird reading.

he ate well and more enthusiastically this morning. Also as I held him aloft, he pulled both his legs up and held them close to his body. still no strength in them though.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

So he weighs 7.5 Oz = 0.212622kg

I’ve read in the forum that the squirrel dosing should be:
    Strength: 5mg
    Dosage: 2.2mg/kg
    My prednisone tablet is 20mg/human strength

A chemist friend told me that prednisone isn’t water soluble so making a suspension using glycerin could work?

At his weight and the strength of my tablet, she said that:

“One tablet, crushed very fine into 4ml of liquid. Then you would give 0.09ml of that.”

Do I mix the crushed tablet into the glycerin, then mix into water (or even his FV formula)?

I dose prednisone at 1mg/lb PO, SID. It does seem to go into solution with water but you always should shake well before each use. You can use Glycerin I guess if you feel it will not go into solution.

Quote Originally Posted by missPixy View Post
    So he weighs 7.5 Oz = 0.212622kg

I’ve read in the forum that the squirrel dosing should be:
    Strength: 5mg
    Dosage: 2.2mg/kg
    My prednisone tablet is 20mg/human strength

A chemist friend told me that prednisone isn’t water soluble so making a suspension using glycerin could work?

At his weight and the strength of my tablet, she said that:

“One tablet, crushed very fine into 4ml of liquid. Then you would give 0.09ml of that.”

Do I mix the crushed tablet into the glycerin, then mix into water (or even his FV formula)?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

With Prednisone you need to use a staggered system to get the loading dose going, then the main dose, then to back off of it. Your friend is right, it would be .09ml, but for the first 3 days you'd divide that by 2 so you could give it 2x a day. So.......

Day 1, 2 & 3 - .045 BID(2x a day)
    Day 4, 5 & 6 - .09 SID (1x a day)
    Day 7, 9 & 11 .09 SID (so you keep the full dose, but give it every other day)

Then you're done. Now if you are seeing improvment but still not back to 100%, you can extend Days4-6 by two more days, meaning you give full dose 5 days in a row, once a day.
    Then follow the last instructions as listed above.

Feel free to PM me if this doesn't make sense.

Regards,
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

missPixy (04-27-2019)

Thank you so much for those details! He has a pain response when I squeeze his feet, so I want to try and help him regain mobility if at all possible.

Name:  85D8533F-3F54-448E-BA34-D2D254C7AA9B.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  90.3 KB

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missPixy:

kcassidy (04-27-2019), Nancy in New York (04-27-2019)

SO happy to hear this.

At this very moment I am watching a paralyzed baby in the tree. It was in the ground this AM. Mom was with it. When I realized the back legs were not working I went to get fleece to capture it and mom grabbed it and ran up the tree. I have blankets under it stretched between chairs. I want it to fall so I can start pred also. I am so sad watching Mother Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    SO happy to hear this.

..... I am so sad watching Mother Nature.
    isn't THAT the truth!! Nature has no empathy. Good luck with this little one, hope it all works out.

Hooooray!!! He is very cute.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

missPixy (05-02-2019)