Thread: Baby squirrel acting different suddenly. I can see her pulse in her eyes?!

Default Baby squirrel acting different suddenly. I can see her pulse in her eyes?!

My 9ish week old baby squirrel is acting funny suddenly. She's acting disoriented and confused, her head is bobbing and I can see her pulse in her eyeballs. She's lethargic and hard to rouse. She's been on cipro for a few days for AP, but she was back to herself the morning after the first dose. I'm unsure what's happening, but she doesn't seem well. I think she's dying. I hope so badly that I'm wrong. Could she have suffered brain damage from her fall from the tree (that left her back legs paralyzed)? Late onset brain swelling?!

Help please

Default Re: Baby squirrel acting different suddenly. I can see her pulse in her eyes?!

How long have you had her? Give us a little history.

Default Re: Baby squirrel acting different suddenly. I can see her pulse in her eyes?!

When was the last dose of Ciprofloxacin?
    I would discontinue the Ciprofloxacin if you are still giving it.

I really have no idea if this is the problem but one of the serious side effects of Ciprofloxacin is severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats. Seeing the pulse in the eyeballs is certainly a pounding heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    How long have you had her? Give us a little history.
    I've had her since April 16th. She fell out of a tree at my aunts house and her dogs were trying to get her. Beatrice, my sweet little lady squirrel, was screaming. My aunt called me and I called a rehabber, they wouldn't take her because her back legs weren't working. I have been taking care of her, but I fed her too fast once and she got AP and I came here for dosing and was messaged the amount. I'll discontinue the meds, today was the last day anyway. She weighs about .4 of a pound. She's interested in fruit and some veggies, but is still on Esbiliac every 4-6 hours taking about 10mL. I've had conflicting amounts to give her so I stop at 10 and she's typically satisfied then if not before. If it is from the Cipro, will she snap out of this? Gosh.. I hope so. She's acting drunk almost. I checked on her and she was sleeping on her back and she has never done that. Just this morning, she pulled her legs up for the first time. She's able to urinate and defecate, but I don't think she can feel when she goes because she's always covered in urine. I wipe her down every time I feed her and bathe her nightly to prevent urine scald.

0.4 lbs is 181grams. We feed between 5-7% of the body weight each feeding. At 181g that would be between 9-12g so you're pretty much on target. At 9 weeks I would feed every 6 hrs and she would probably work up to 10% of the body weight which is 18ml.

She really did need the Ciprofloxacin for the AP. She wouldn't have survived without it. With that said, Ciprofloxacin can cause some serious side effects. I will say that we have not seen side effects from Ciprofloxacin when used for squirrels but of course it's possible. The more notable side effects are the central nervous system, ligament/joint issues and cardiovascular. The pounding heart can be caused by Cipro but in Bea's case we can't say with certainty that it caused this. There might be other issues. The symptoms should subside if it was the Cipro but again I don't know if it was related. This will probably be a watch, wait and see sorta thing.

We don't know the extent of the spinal injury causing the paralysis. We also don't know if she had a head injury and is neurologically compromised. So many unknowns but I wouldn't use Cipro in the future as a just in case. Neuro babies shouldn't receive Cipro anyway as it can cause seizures in those prone to them due to a head injury.

Often paralysed babies can benefit from prednisone but with her other symptoms I would be afraid to use it. I hope for the best for Bea as I can tell that you are emotionally invested in this little bundle of love. Please let us know how she does. I wish I knew more to tell you but I really don't know what to think here.

7. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (04-25-2019), Nancy in New York (04-25-2019), SammysMom (04-24-2019), stepnstone (04-24-2019), TubeDriver (04-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    0.4 lbs is 181grams. We feed between 5-7% of the body weight each feeding. At 181g that would be between 9-12g so you're pretty much on target. At 9 weeks I would feed every 6 hrs and she would probably work up to 10% of the body weight which is 18ml.

She really did need the Ciprofloxacin for the AP. She wouldn't have survived without it. With that said, Ciprofloxacin can cause some serious side effects. I will say that we have not seen side effects from Ciprofloxacin when used for squirrels but of course it's possible. The more notable side effects are the central nervous system, ligament/joint issues and cardiovascular. The pounding heart can be caused by Cipro but in Bea's case we can't say with certainty that it caused this. There might be other issues. The symptoms should subside if it was the Cipro but again I don't know if it was related. This will probably be a watch, wait and see sorta thing.

We don't know the extent of the spinal injury causing the paralysis. We also don't know if she had a head injury and is neurologically compromised. So many unknowns but I wouldn't use Cipro in the future as a just in case. Neuro babies shouldn't receive Cipro anyway as it can cause seizures in those prone to them due to a head injury.

Often paralysed babies can benefit from prednisone but with her other symptoms I would be afraid to use it. I hope for the best for Bea as I can tell that you are emotionally invested in this little bundle of love. Please let us know how she does. I wish I knew more to tell you but I really don't know what to think here.

Thank you. She's still acting disoriented today, but eating fine.

I spoke too soon. She was eating fine with no change in behavior until about 3. Tonight she is refusing to eat, she's laying on her back and breathing slow and heavily. I don't think she'll make it through the night.

Not eating is definitely not a good sign. There’s no way of knowing if there was damage from the fall that has just now manifested itself. You can cuddle and hold her. The sound of your heartbeat and touch might be encouraging for her. I’m sorry I don’t know what else to tell you. I hope she pulls through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Not eating is definitely not a good sign. There’s no way of knowing if there was damage from the fall that has just now manifested itself. You can cuddle and hold her. The sound of your heartbeat and touch might be encouraging for her. I’m sorry I don’t know what else to tell you. I hope she pulls through this.
    Well she made it through last night and even ate a bit a couple times today. Tonight though, she's only breathing about 20 times a minute and it's so labored. She's working really hard for her breaths. Shes pulling her neck back to make more air flow. You said something about prednisone... What would that do for her? Could it help? She may be too far gone.. She also has diarrhea today and she hasn't to this extent even when she was on the Cipro.

Prednisone is a steroid with anti-inflammatory properties. If paralysis is due to inflammation, reducing swelling might improve mobility. It penetrates nerves.

I wish I had an answer for you but I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know why she suddenly crashed. It is possible that her spinal injuries have effected her internal organs and they might be shutting down. I just don’t know. Just hold her and love her.

With diarrhea she would be dehydrated. You could CAREFULLY offer her hydration fluid.

I was hoping prednisone could open her airway. I'm loving on her now, she's on my chest all snuggled in. I just want to save her.

At this point, you could try it. Get some in the morning and we can dose it. You wouldn’t happen to have a different antibiotic would you? The difficulty breathing makes me think she might still have pneumonia.

I don't have any other antibiotic. I can try a lesser dose of cipro, but her pulse is getting weaker and weaker. It may not be worth bothering her anymore.

I’m so sad for you and Bea.

I would offer her some lightly sweetened water and make her as comfortable as possible. I also wonder if maybe the pneumonia was not beaten by the first round of Cipro?

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I thought about you and Bea all night.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (04-27-2019)

Bea
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

My sweet Bea died curled up on my chest last night. under a blanket and warm heating pad. Thank you all for your love and support.

I am SO very sorry for your loss. I know that little Bea took a piece of your heart when she departed. I really don't know what happened but the one thing I do know is that Bea was wrapped in love next to a heart of compassion....surrounded by warmth,
    peace and love.