Thread: Aging and food question

Siggy Guest

Default Aging and food question

Can you help me properly age this little girl? First photo was last Sunday when we first found her (she actually found us) Desperately trying to adopt our mainecoon as her mom much to his confusion.

She acts like she is not getting enough food even though I feed her every 4 hours 7-10CC the first week and 10-12CC currently. I just introduced the rodent block and she chews them up and only eats the pieces once she starts getting hungry. She will also do this with raw sweet potato. She poops and pees on her own and they are health and regular (no change from the poops from day one).

First photo is the day we got her and the second almost a week later.Name:  E66D68C7-952F-4A96-BDDE-129331B50FD6.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  112.2 KB
    Name:  C7620BC9-AA44-4E4B-9BA3-5198F6E564FD.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  237.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Aging and food question

She looks to be about 7-8 weeks IMO, do you have a weight on her?
    What type rodent block are you feeding?
    You do want her to be eating block and eating it well before introducing
    other solids, then I would start with the green veggies first.
    Here is the link below to the healthy diet:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Siggy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Thank you.
    She had been getting a temporary formula of Goat milk kefir. Basically plain goat milk with higher fact content and the addition of the probiotic and nutrients. Her poops are very health if I refer to what I’ve read in the board. My fox valley formula arrives tomorrow.
    No weight. I don’t have a scale that small yet. Kaytee forti-diet pro health is the rodent block I found. It’s the only one we could find in stores so I grabbed it for the time being.

Siggy Guest

Weight is in! 6.2 ounces! She had 11CC of formula this morning and rodent blocks in her cage which she ate all of (about .5 ounces of block) I got the fox valley in the afternoon and tried to mix it with the goat milk formula to transition this evening. She ate about 1CC before refusing more and went to her water and then back to the rodent block. She wants the Syringe but as soon as she taste it she sticks her nose up at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Weight is in! 6.2 ounces! She had 11CC of formula this morning and rodent blocks in her cage which she ate all of (about .5 ounces of block) I got the fox valley in the afternoon and tried to mix it with the goat milk formula to transition this evening. She ate about 1CC before refusing more and went to her water and then back to the rodent block. She wants the Syringe but as soon as she taste it she sticks her nose up at it.

6.2 ounces / 175 grams. Your feeding just a little over 6% at 11cc which is fine as long as bowels remain good.
    Just to clarify, did you just add FV to the GM or did you mix the GM and FV separately then take 1/4 of the already
    mixed FV and add to 3/4s of the GM?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Siggy Guest

6.2 ounces / 175 grams. Your feeding just a little over 6% at 11cc which is fine as long as bowels remain good.
    Just to clarify, did you just add FV to the GM or did you mix the GM and FV separately then take 1/4 of the already
    mixed FV and add to 3/4s of the GM?
    I warmed the water for the FV and goats milk separately then mixed them together and added the FV powder to the mixture but only enough FV to the ratio of water added. Maybe I’ll try decreasing the FV and slowly sneaking it in. And I’ll mix the FV Fully first.

So 11CC is OK for both the morning and the evening feeding? She would still eat 11CC 4 times a day if I offered it and the rodent block.... seems like a lot but she doesn’t want to stop the formula. She self regulate the blocks but not the formula.

The way to transition to a new formula is to make each formula up separately at the proper ratio. Then fill 1/4 of the syringe with the new formula and remaining 3/4 of the syringe with the old formula. You do this for a few feedings, then do a 50/50 mix for a few feedings then 3/4 of syringe with new formula and 1/4 of the syringe with the old formula for a few feedings. After that you will be at 100% new formula and hopefully your little one won’t have any tummy issues from the switch.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (04-23-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1