Thread: Formula Choice: Esbilac vs Fox Valley 20/50

Default Formula Choice: Esbilac vs Fox Valley 20/50

I have two 7 week old male grey squirrels that I have been feeding the powder puppy formula Esbilac. I now have some Fox Valley Day One Formula 20/50. Do you recommend staying on the Esbilac or slowly converting over to the Fox Valley 20/50?

Champ & Charlie

Default Re: Formula Choice: Esbilac vs Fox Valley 20/50

Quote Originally Posted by mbschrim View Post
    I have two 7 week old male grey squirrels that I have been feeding the powder puppy formula Esbilac. I now have some Fox Valley Day One Formula 20/50. Do you recommend staying on the Esbilac or slowly converting over to the Fox Valley 20/50? Champ & Charlie

The Esbilac puppy w/ pre and pro biotics and FV 20/50 are both good formula's.
    Esbilac most of the time is tolerated for younger babies better then the FV20/50 which has more fat.
    However after a certain age many members will transition to a 50-50 mix of esbilac -FV for the fat and
    better weight gain for those who need it. Some will transition fully over to the FV20/50. As said, they
    are both good formula's excluding to those babies that go to Goat's milk due to intolerance.
    It is all about the bowels with formula's, that's the reason for transition regardless of what formula
    you go with.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 04-20-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (04-20-2019), island rehabber (07-30-2019)

I am getting 4 pinkies today. I have the powdered Esbilac that I will feed these babies. I had the sludge situation in April and the pinkies all died. My question is what are the measurements for Esbilac formula? Thanks.

If you have pinkies you are correct in using Esbilac to avoid the sludge horror often caused by FV32/40. The 1st day after you have rehydrated the pinkies you should use Esbilac mixed one part powder to 3 parts water; then the 2nd day gradually transition to regular full strength Esbilac which is 1 part powder to 2 parts water. Mix the powder in very hot water and let it sit for at least 2 hours before feeding.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 07-30-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Talk to text ain't perfect
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (07-30-2019), stepnstone (07-30-2019)