Thread: Runny Poop

Default Runny Poop

A few weeks back I posted asking for guidance with our 5 week old male grey squirrels because they were having digestive issues. After following suggestions given, their poop became more consistent and solid but never back to fully being hard pellets. I ordered the DiaStat from Henry's and would alternate formula feeding with diastat for a day. They are now 7 1/2 weeks old. One weighs 207g and the other 200g. I am feeding them 7% of their body weight of the powdered Esbilac puppy formula 4 times a day along with rodent block and I have introduced some broccoli and spring mix greens. Their large cage also has some leafy branches in it as well. Last night they began with very runny poop. I don't seem to have any vets in my area to offer in suggestions so I am looking to the board for some suggestions. My squirrels seem healthy and active and the only problem I seem to be having is the diarrhea. I know this is not normal so I need some guidance. I am attaching pictures from the day we got them till last night. They seem to be thriving and I want to make sure they continue to do so because I would like to release them as soon as they are ready.

Thanks,
    Mom to Charlie and Champ
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_2ddb.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  75.1 KBName:  E8yJzevOSrO80SKL0mTd+g.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  86.1 KB

Default Re: Runny Poop

Quote Originally Posted by mbschrim View Post
    A few weeks back I posted asking for guidance with our 5 week old male grey squirrels because they were having digestive issues. After following suggestions given, their poop became more consistent and solid but never back to fully being hard pellets. I ordered the DiaStat from Henry's and would alternate formula feeding with diastat for a day.
    Go back to here and start over for a longer duration, you were making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by mbschrim View Post
    They are now 7 1/2 weeks old. One weighs 207g and the other 200g. I am feeding them 7% of their body weight of the powdered Esbilac puppy formula 4 times a day along with rodent block and I have introduced some broccoli and spring mix greens. Their large cage also has some leafy branches in it as well. Last night they began with very runny poop. I don't seem to have any vets in my area to offer in suggestions so I am looking to the board for some suggestions. My squirrels seem healthy and active and the only problem I seem to be having is the diarrhea. I know this is not normal so I need some guidance. I am attaching pictures from the day we got them till last night. They seem to be thriving and I want to make sure they continue to do so because I would like to release them as soon as they are ready.
    Thanks, Mom to Charlie and Champ
    Cut the formula back to 5%, hydrate in between feedings. Remove all veggies, leave the block! (Veggies such as broccoli just aids diarrhea.)
    What are the leafy branches, do you know type tree and do they chew on them?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: Runny Poop

Yes, the branches have been from oak trees.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mbschrim from:

stepnstone (04-20-2019)