Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BABY SQUIRREL - PLEASE HELP

Default Re: BABY SQUIRREL - PLEASE HELP

Great job!

One of the hardest things for us advisors on this forum to do, is get new folks to understand that the correct formula (or diet) is critical to the health and well being of a baby squirrel. There are, collectively, decades of experience on raising squirrels on this board. We know what works and what doesn’t. Many folks see the price of a can of powdered puppy Esbilac formula (which is extraordinarily high in pet stores) and think that another brand or a small can of liquid will be the same. Unfortunately, it’s not. The substitutions always result in loose stool, which can be life threatening if not turned around.

It sounds like you have your little one back on track. Don’t deviate from what you’re doing. When your little one opens his eyes around 5 weeks, some of the folks on here feed a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and Fox Valley 20/50 formula. The Fox Valley must be purchased online and it has a higher fat content that helps add weight when their older. If you decide to do this on down the road, folks on her can advise you on how to transition to the new formula so your little one doesn’t have any GI issues.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (04-25-2019), stepnstone (04-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloewagstaffe View Post
    So, after a lot of time, effort and money, I’m very glad to announce that Stewart is back to normal, eating well and his stool is a gold-yellow and solid.
    So glad to hear this. Another member mentioned that some people start mixing in Fox Valley at 5 weeks, but my opinion is to keep him on the Esbalic puppy replacer. It’s just not worth the hassle. I raised many greys and they have all turned out to be beautiful and healthy. When they start setting up and wanting to eat a little, I start giving mine nut squares from xxxxxxxxxx. Some people like other kinds of rodent blocks, but the ones from xxxxxxx is the kind I prefer and my squirrels prefer. My new little flyer loves them. She is 6 weeks. I just started her on them a few days ago. I just mix a tiny bit of applesauce into the mix, roll it in a ball, and it’s done. She culls the picky blocks from Henry’s. My other opinion is to keep him on formula for as long as he will take it, even if it’s a syringe full a day along with his meals. If squirrels don’t get enough calcium they will get Metabolic Bone Disease (rickets).
    Last edited by island rehabber; 04-25-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    So glad to hear this. Another member mentioned that some people start mixing in Fox Valley at 5 weeks, but my opinion is to keep him on the Esbalic puppy replacer. It’s just not worth the hassle. I raised many greys and they have all turned out to be beautiful and healthy. When they start setting up and wanting to eat a little, I start giving mine nut squares from xxxxxxxxx. Some people like other kinds of rodent blocks, but the ones fromxxxxxxx is the kind I prefer and my squirrels prefer. My new little flyer loves them. She is 6 weeks. I just started her on them a few days ago. I just mix a tiny bit of applesauce into the mix, roll it in a ball, and it’s done. She culls the picky blocks from Henry’s. My other opinion is to keep him on formula for as long as he will take it, even if it’s a syringe full a day along with his meals. If squirrels don’t get enough calcium they will get Metabolic Bone Disease (rickets).
    Chippergray, most of your post is fine but I regret that I must edit parts of it.

Any member here is free to feed what they want; America is still a free country although freedom is going fast, IMHO.
    What I cannot do is allow you to mention a forum that will not respect nor refer to The Squirrel Board except in negative terms -- this has been so for years. The owner of that forum, who fancies himself an expert in squirrel nutrition, has recommended some of the worst and most dangerous "practices" for feeding squirrels -- practices which sicken and kill them. I have attempted several times to argue my point of view on nutrition and he has shut me down, deleted me, then slandered me on his board in a way that if this were not the internet I could SUE him.

Sorry you were caught in the middle of this, but that guy can take his scalded milk and pour it over his damn head.

Carry on, kids!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (04-29-2019), stepnstone (04-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Chippergray, most of your post is fine but I regret that I must edit parts of it.

Any member here is free to feed what they want; America is still a free country although freedom is going fast, IMHO.
    What I cannot do is allow you to mention a forum that will not respect nor refer to The Squirrel Board except in negative terms -- this has been so for years. The owner of that forum, who fancies himself an expert in squirrel nutrition, has recommended some of the worst and most dangerous "practices" for feeding squirrels -- practices which sicken and kill them. I have attempted several times to argue my point of view on nutrition and he has shut me down, deleted me, then slandered me on his board in a way that if this were not the internet I could SUE him.

Sorry you were caught in the middle of this, but that guy can take his scalded milk and pour it over his damn head.

Carry on, kids!
    I certainly do not condone any cyber libel. I did not know anything about the said information above. I, myself, do not agreed with using the formula he uses. I do like the nut square mix, however. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. That certainly was not my intent. I was just trying to help out a fellow caregiver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12