Thread: 7 week old grey constantly sucking herself

Default 7 week old grey constantly sucking herself

My 7 week old female gray is constantly sucking on herself all over. Not just on her genitals. Her stomach, legs, tail, etc. I’ve made sure we are feeding her enough and the right formula. She also refuses to eat her rodent block. I have given her no other sold foods but she still ignores it. Every time I get her from her cage she is soaking wet and it’s not pee. Any ideas to either problem?

Default Re: 7 week old grey constantly sucking herself

I would first check her mouth and teeth.
    She may be sucking on things (and herself) because her mouth hurts. She may also be refusing to eat blocks because of mouth/teeth problems.
    Does she have sticks and/or wood in her cage, and actively chew on them? Normally they are constantly grinding their teeth on wood at this age, like obsessed beavers.

Siggy Guest

We have a 7 week as well. New to this whole thing. I read in another thread the sucking can be a comfort thing as they will often suckle on each other and it’s normal as long as you don’t see rawness or swelling. I’m not sure about the soaked part....when our girl goes to the bathroom her urine doesn’t smell or look yellow, it just looks like water. She has no interest in solid foods either, except the occasional sliver of pecan and she goes crazy for avocados.
    I have been encouraging her to chew on raw sweet potato and small apple branches by mimicking chewing with my fingernails, she seems to have taken to shredding the sweet potato or debarking the branches instead of suckling.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    We have a 7 week as well. New to this whole thing. I read in another thread the sucking can be a comfort thing as they will often suckle on each other and it’s normal as long as you don’t see rawness or swelling. I’m not sure about the soaked part....when our girl goes to the bathroom her urine doesn’t smell or look yellow, it just looks like water. She has no interest in solid foods either, except the occasional sliver of pecan and she goes crazy for avocados.
    I have been encouraging her to chew on raw sweet potato and small apple branches by mimicking chewing with my fingernails, she seems to have taken to shredding the sweet potato or debarking the branches instead of suckling.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I would first check her mouth and teeth.
    She may be sucking on things (and herself) because her mouth hurts. She may also be refusing to eat blocks because of mouth/teeth problems.
    Does she have sticks and/or wood in her cage, and actively chew on them? Normally they are constantly grinding their teeth on wood at this age, like obsessed beavers.
    She doesn’t have any sticks or anything but I’ll try that. Are there any woods that are dangerous for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah_span View Post
    She doesn’t have any sticks or anything but I’ll try that. Are there any woods that are dangerous for them?
    That may be your problem.
    Baby squirrels need sticks and wood to chew on for both teething, and to strengthen their teeth. If they do not have sticks... they will find something else to chew/suck on. Sticks are like baby squirrel pacifiers.
    Basically you want to use hardwood.. like oak, ash, or beech. Woods that do not splinter easily (so no pine or fir). I also use poplar, dogwood, cherry... trees that do not have a 'flaky' outer bark.
    Give her an assortment of sticks from pencil size up to a couple of inches in diameter... and she will tear into them like a chainsaw.

If you are unsure about picking a stick up in the woods... pet stores can recommend (and sell you) wood for chewing on.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Stacy (09-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    That may be your problem.
    Baby squirrels need sticks and wood to chew on for both teething, and to strengthen their teeth. If they do not have sticks... they will find something else to chew/suck on. Sticks are like baby squirrel pacifiers.
    Basically you want to use hardwood.. like oak, ash, or beech. Woods that do not splinter easily (so no pine or fir). I also use poplar, dogwood, cherry... trees that do not have a 'flaky' outer bark.
    Give her an assortment of sticks from pencil size up to a couple of inches in diameter... and she will tear into them like a chainsaw.

If you are unsure about picking a stick up in the woods... pet stores can recommend (and sell you) wood for chewing on.
    Awesome thank you

If she continues to suck on herself a couple of days after introducing chewing materials... definitely come back and let us know.

At 7 weeks squirrels should have some type of rodent block in their cage at all times so they can start taking an interest in solid food.

There are two types of rodent block. One type is free feeding, meaning they can have as much of it as they’ll eat. It’s completely balanced and doesn’t require additional veggies in the diet if they are consuming it. Unfortunately this type of block is less palatable so isn’t as readily accepted. Brands of this block are Harlan Teklad (Envigo), Mazuri and Oxbow. The first brand must be purchased online. There are recipes to create boo balls with this type of block which makes it tastier.

The second type of block is a supplemental block which is more readily accepted. Two of these blocks are given daily along with healthy veggies, and an occasional fruit or nut from the healthy diet pyramid in the Squirrel Nutrition section. This brand must also be purchased online at Henry’s Healthy Pets. The picky formula and the hazelnut ones are well liked.

Initially, you only want to offer the block while continuing the formula. Only after the squirrel is eating the block well do you add in any veggies. At this age, I’d never give any nuts. It’s like expecting a toddler to eat spinach after getting a taste of ice cream.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (04-19-2019)

Siggy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    At 7 weeks squirrels should have some type of rodent block in their cage at all times so they can start taking an interest in solid food.

There are two types of rodent block. One type is free feeding, meaning they can have as much of it as they’ll eat. It’s completely balanced and doesn’t require additional veggies in the diet if they are consuming it. Unfortunately this type of block is less palatable so isn’t as readily accepted. Brands of this block are Harlan Teklad (Envigo), Mazuri and Oxbow. The first brand must be purchased online. There are recipes to create boo balls with this type of block which makes it tastier.

The second type of block is a supplemental block which is more readily accepted. Two of these blocks are given daily along with healthy veggies, and an occasional fruit or nut from the healthy diet pyramid in the Squirrel Nutrition section. This brand must also be purchased online at Henry’s Healthy Pets. The picky formula and the hazelnut ones are well liked.

Initially, you only want to offer the block while continuing the formula. Only after the squirrel is eating the block well do you add in any veggies. At this age, I’d never give any nuts. It’s like expecting a toddler to eat spinach after getting a taste of ice cream.

This is great info! Our baby wants to eat 10CC’s every 4 hours (sleeps through the night) and acts like she wants more in the morning feeding and the evening but her belly is pretty full. It just started eating the sweet potato instead of just shredding it so I’ll see if I can’t get her to start eating the block before she gets to hooked on “ice cream”

She looks older then 7 weeks but her eating habits make me think she’s in that range.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Siggy from:

Mel1959 (04-19-2019)