Thread: Flyer in Fireplace?

Default Flyer in Fireplace?

Hi there!
    I have some strange noises going on near (or in) my fireplace! The flue is closed, and I can’t tell exactly where the noise is coming from. My dog is alerting in that area, so I’m positive there’s a critter.

The last time this happened I realized the very small, very fast animal we caught in a file box was a flyer only after we did a ‘catch and release’ and let it go in the yard, during the day.

Does anyone have an idea of how to go about safely catching my mystery guest and what to do if it is another flyer? I don’t want to hurt it, and I don’t want to release it if I shouldn’t.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Flyer in Fireplace?

First, I’m not sure how to catch it, I’ve never done it before. I would think a very small hav a hart trap, the size for mice, but I’d be concerned that because of their speed it might get injured in the door.

The last time you caught one was the flue closed? I ask because I see that you’re in Florida and we don’t have much call for fireplace usage, would you consider just letting him live up there. It could have babies and you wouldn’t want to catch it if that was the case. If the flues closed I wouldn’t think it could get into the house.

Thanks, Mel!
    Because I’m in FL, I don’t know too much about how the flue actually works...

We do use the fireplace, but it won’t get any more use for months.

Can something live in there?
    I figured it would be trapped, not have a way back up, and die. It’s welcome to stay there if that’s an option!

Last time it happened was on Christmas. The flue was probably open.

Partly I need to know if it can be released if it turns out to somehow be in the house. And how I should release...

You can put a rope down the chimney to allow anyone trapped to climb out. I would definitely try to get it out of the chimney as it isnt a safe place overall. Once it is out, a chimney cap is a must.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Diggie's Friend (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cesta View Post
    Can something live in there?
    I figured it would be trapped, not have a way back up, and die. It’s welcome to stay there if that’s an option!
    Last time it happened was on Christmas. The flue was probably open.
    Partly I need to know if it can be released if it turns out to somehow be in the house. And how I should release...

I've done my share of chimney rescues for greys and it won't survive being trapped in a chimney, it can't climb back up.
    This is mainly due to chimneys having a >liner on the inside which makes it about the same as trying to climb a sheet of glass.
    Once down the chimney they wind up on the >smoke shelf, there is usually ash and burnt debris on that shelf. The scurrying
    one hears is their running back and forth on the shelf looking for a way out or jumping the wall trying to get a hold on the impossible.
    You may be able to open the flue/damper and see movement but can't really access the smoke shelf for rescue without removing
    the >damper. I have had to do that a number of times and it's just a matter of a few bolts but you will come out looking like a
    version of Al Jolson's black face.
    You can however reach up through the flue to place a dish of water or grapes or something like that on the smoke shelf to help it with
    hydration while it's stuck up there. If it's an option to let it come down and get off the smoke shelf, open the flue and place a branch
    or board up through the flue so it can climb down. If possible screen off the fire box area so you can contain it once it comes down.
    If not your better off letting it get into the house and exiting that way then having it expire in your chimney.

A (thick) rope down the chimney is also a good idea if you can get to your chimney and drop it all the way from the top to the area
    of smoke shelf and damper.

As far as release, unless it's been stuck in there so long it's noticeably compromised and weak let it go.

Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  28.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (04-19-2019), Nancy in New York (04-19-2019), redwuff (04-19-2019)