Thread: Aspiration pneumonia

Cbrittanys1 Guest

Default Aspiration pneumonia

I need a little help determining if the almost 6 week old squirrel I have has aspiration pneumonia. I don't have many resources around my area and I've called some vets but they won't see her because she is a squirrel. I don't her clicking in her lungs but I hear it in her nose as she breaths. Also she has had a little loss of apatite as well as sleep alot more then when she was a few days before. Looking for advice and some help with this because I don't want anything to happen to her. Want her to get treated quickly if that's what it is because I've heard it is life threatening.

Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrittanys1 View Post
    I need a little help determining if the almost 6 week old squirrel I have has aspiration pneumonia. I don't have many resources around my area and I've called some vets but they won't see her because she is a squirrel. I don't her clicking in her lungs but I hear it in her nose as she breaths. Also she has had a little loss of apatite as well as sleep alot more then when she was a few days before. Looking for advice and some help with this because I don't want anything to happen to her. Want her to get treated quickly if that's what it is because I've heard it is life threatening.
    Lethargic with loss of appetite certainly sounds like aspiration pneumonia. Can you get meds? Cipro, which is commonly used by humans for urinary tract infections, works very well. Tell us what you can locate and we can help you.

Cbrittanys1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Lethargic with loss of appetite certainly sounds like aspiration pneumonia. Can you get meds? Cipro, which is commonly used by humans for urinary tract infections, works very well. Tell us what you can locate and we can help you.
    Wildlife resources around here arent much help and I've tried to call vets but they all claim the don't deal with squirrels. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on what you recommend

Cbrittanys1 Guest

I looked it up and everything is prescription and like I said I've called vets and animal hospitals and they won't help. I don't know what to do I'm desperate

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrittanys1 View Post
    I looked it up and everything is prescription and like I said I've called vets and animal hospitals and they won't help. I don't know what to do I'm desperate
    I would go on FB and ask your female friends if anyone has even just ONE pill. Cipro is so effective for urinary tract infections that despite doctor's orders, many don't bother to finish their prescriptions so you may be able to fine one.

Unfortunately there isn't any substitute for antibiotics for aspiration pneumonia.

Cbrittanys1 Guest

I would go on FB and ask your female friends if anyone has even just ONE pill. Cipro is so effective for urinary tract infections that despite doctor's orders, many don't bother to finish their prescriptions so you may be able to fine one.

Unfortunately there isn't any substitute for antibiotics for aspiration pneumonia.
    Thank you I'm going to ask around asap

Cbrittanys1 Guest

[QUOTE=CritterMom;1291420]I would go on FB and ask your female friends if anyone has even just ONE pill. Cipro is so effective for urinary tract infections that despite doctor's orders, many don't bother to finish their prescriptions so you may be able to fine one.

So I as of right now I'm waiting to hear back from people but I think I'm running out of time. Is the walgreens off brand "antibacterial plus urinary are pain relief" the same thing and can that be used

If it’s over the counter it won’t work. It wouldn’t be an antibiotic. I really hope you aren’t ‘running out of time’.

A human or veterinary antibiotic will work. We know that you can’t get one from a vet but friends or family often have a single pill left over from an old prescription. We can dose it for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.