Thread: pinkie with liquid stool

Default pinkie with liquid stool

Hi everyone,

Someone brought us a baby on Sunday (around 2 weeks old is my best guess) that started producing yellow liquid stool this evening. I've never raised a baby this young before, but we've been exclusively feeding him powdered Esbilac formula (1:2). He's ~20g, so he's been getting 1-1.5cc every 3-4 hours (he first weighed ~18g, and as of this afternoon was up to ~22g). My assumption is that I've been overfeeding him, but I know diarrhea can quickly become fatal so I wanted to check in and see if I'm missing anything. His stomach isn't firm or rounded and as far as I can tell there's no sign of bloating, and I switched him over to rehydration fluids. When we took him out for his 8:00 feeding his legs and tail were coated in diarrhea, and I've heard him make a couple squeaks of discomfort from inside his box - is there anything else I should be doing?

This is how he looked on Sunday
    Name:  tumblr_pq387tWN221qflrec_540.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  73.0 KB

and here he is right now

Name:  tumblr_pq38dbNroi1qflrec_540.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  63.6 KBName:  tumblr_pq38dc6YZG1qflrec_540.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

Default Re: pinkie with liquid stool

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah View Post
    Hi everyone,

Someone brought us a baby on Sunday (around 2 weeks old is my best guess) that started producing yellow liquid stool this evening. I've never raised a baby this young before, but we've been exclusively feeding him powdered Esbilac formula (1:2). He's ~20g, so he's been getting 1-1.5cc every 3-4 hours (he first weighed ~18g, and as of this afternoon was up to ~22g). My assumption is that I've been overfeeding him, but I know diarrhea can quickly become fatal so I wanted to check in and see if I'm missing anything. His stomach isn't firm or rounded and as far as I can tell there's no sign of bloating, and I switched him over to rehydration fluids. When we took him out for his 8:00 feeding his legs and tail were coated in diarrhea, and I've heard him make a couple squeaks of discomfort from inside his box - is there anything else I should be doing?
    Over feeding is likely the cause. I would hold a baby this size at 5% which for only now being 22 grams would be 0.1/1
    I would hold him at 1cc for now...
    I would give the hydration for a couple feeds and then allow formula, he will need the nutrition. Hydrate in between feedings.
    Just to clarify...
    Pictured below is the correct Esbilac formula, is this what you are using 1 powder-2 water?
    Could be picture but he looks like he'd weigh more then 20 grams??

Also attaching a link on baby squirrel care. Go to this link this can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Correct Esbilac:
    Name:  formula sm.jpg
Size:  32.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (04-17-2019), redwuff (04-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Over feeding is likely the cause. I would hold a baby this size at 5% which for only now being 22 grams would be 0.1/1
    I would hold him at 1cc for now...
    I would give the hydration for a couple feeds and then allow formula, he will need the nutrition. Hydrate in between feedings.
    Just to clarify...
    Pictured below is the correct Esbilac formula, is this what you are using 1 powder-2 water?
    Could be picture but he looks like he'd weigh more then 20 grams??

Also attaching a link on baby squirrel care. Go to this link this can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Correct Esbilac:
    Name:  formula sm.jpg
Size:  32.4 KB
    Yes, that is the formula we've been using. I diluted it just a tiny bit but it's still very close to the 1:2 ratio. We did a couple rounds of just hydration and then reintroduced the diluted formula this morning and he's doing much better - his stool has definitely firmed up again, and he's still peeing frequently and plentifully. The scale says he lost a little over a gram, but I guess that shouldn't be surprising given the diarrhea and the time on just hydration fluids. Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah View Post
    Yes, that is the formula we've been using. I diluted it just a tiny bit but it's still very close to the 1:2 ratio. We did a couple rounds of just hydration and then reintroduced the diluted formula this morning and he's doing much better - his stool has definitely firmed up again, and he's still peeing frequently and plentifully. The scale says he lost a little over a gram, but I guess that shouldn't be surprising given the diarrhea and the time on just hydration fluids. Thank you for the help!

Good to hear, thanks for the update.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator