Thread: New baby with possible MBD

Andarai Guest

Default New baby with possible MBD

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but I need some serious help. A little red squirrel was brought to me yesterday and he's been having some trouble with his hind limbs. He's really young but able to pee and poop on his own, though he isn't cleaning himself. His back legs aren't paralyzed, he still has movement in them, he just seems very weak. When he sees me, he starts vocalizing and pulling himself up to me, but he isn't displaying aggression. He's eager for a syringe of food and has a good appetite, but the weakness in his hind limbs came out of nowhere. Could this be mbd?

Default Re: New baby with possible MBD

How old is the squirrel, do you think? Are you feeding formula? If so, which one?

The MBD treatment is at this link. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment. If it’s not MBD the calcium will not hurt him so you should start the treatment immediately. Tums is usually readily available to use as a calcium source.

This weakness in the hind legs could also be the result of a fall. Do you have access to prednisone, prednisolone or dexamethasone. A steroid like one of these has helped many squirrels regain use of their rear legs by reducing swelling.

If you can post a picture that would be helpful. Others will be along soon to help.

Andarai Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How old is the squirrel, do you think? Are you feeding formula? If so, which one?

The MBD treatment is at this link. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment. If it’s not MBD the calcium will not hurt him so you should start the treatment immediately. Tums is usually readily available to use as a calcium source.

This weakness in the hind legs could also be the result of a fall. Do you have access to prednisone, prednisolone or dexamethasone. A steroid like one of these has helped many squirrels regain use of their rear legs by reducing swelling.

If you can post a picture that would be helpful. Others will be along soon to help.
    Thank you so much for replying! I'm not totally sure how old he is and I'll definitely post a picture of Skeeter. I don't have any medication currently but I can look into getting it. He came from another rehabber and she said he didn't fall or anything, he just declined. He has been on Fox Valley.

Andarai Guest

Name:  20190416_064912.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  90.1 KB
    This is Skeeter.

How long did the other rehabber have him? What’s his story as to how he was acquired?

It seems odd that he declined while being fed formula. Which formula was he being fed and what formula is he eating now? It’s very important that it be either the POWDERED Esbilac puppy milk replacer with the blue banner at the top that says “with pre and probiotics” or if the can is missing the banner the third ingredient is whey protein, or Fox Valley 20/50 squirrel formula. Only those two formulas will do, no other substitutions!

Depending on what others think and what his diet consists of, if there is a need for prednisone and you can’t locate any I can send you some pills and someone on here can help you dose it.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (04-16-2019), redwuff (04-16-2019)

Andarai Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How long did the other rehabber have him? What’s his story as to how he was acquired?

It seems odd that he declined while being fed formula. Which formula was he being fed and what formula is he eating now? It’s very important that it be either the POWDERED Esbilac puppy milk replacer with the blue banner at the top that says “with pre and probiotics” or if the can is missing the banner the third ingredient is whey protein, or Fox Valley 20/50 squirrel formula. Only those two formulas will do, no other substitutions!

Depending on what others think and what his diet consists of, if there is a need for prednisone and you can’t locate any I can send you some pills and someone on here can help you dose it.
    The other rehabber had him and a sister for a couple weeks and I think they were brought to her. He's on the Fox Valley squirrel formula. Should I try the Esbilac instead? He declined suddenly but the sister is thriving and will be ready for release in a few weeks. Do you think she may have hurt him?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andarai from:

redwuff (04-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Andarai View Post
    The other rehabber had him and a sister for a couple weeks and I think they were brought to her. He's on the Fox Valley squirrel formula. Should I try the Esbilac instead? He declined suddenly but the sister is thriving and will be ready for release in a few weeks. Do you think she may have hurt him?
    It’s not common for squirrels to hurt each other, but not impossible either. He also could have fallen without the rehabbers knowledge.

Continue with full strength Fox Valley. Begin the MBD protocol. If after others read this and offer their thoughts and you need some meds I’ll send them.

I have to say that he looks a bit dehydrated and thin. What formula are you feeding? At this age he should be on FV 20/50. Esbilac is ok if that is what you already have. If he was fed an adequate amt of FV from the other rehabber, he should not have MBD. Like Mel said, he could have fallen. Feel along his spine and see if you feel anything odd.

He looks to be 6-6.5 weeks of age. Had the other rehabber started to ween him? If so he is way too young. Feed formula at 5-7% of his body weight 5-6 times a day with two hydration feedings between formula feedings. A homemade version of hydration fluid is 2 cups of water, 1.5 Tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt. What is his weight and what is his sisters weight?

It would be good to get him started on an anti inflammatory. If you can get one pill of prednisone that would be great. There are other anti inflammatories ut pred would be the best.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (04-16-2019), Nancy in New York (04-16-2019)

Can you do a side picture of him. I want to see his back legs.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Do you still have his sister? I noticed that in your profile page you mentioned that you only have two squirrel, Skeeter and your grey. No judgement, but curious why they would be separated.

I love love ❤️ fox squirrels 🐿! We will help you get your little man on tract the best we can!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Andarai Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Do you still have his sister? I noticed that in your profile page you mentioned that you only have two squirrel, Skeeter and your grey. No judgement, but curious why they would be separated.

I love love ❤️ fox squirrels 🐿! We will help you get your little man on tract the best we can!
    I have little Skeeter, but not his sister. Skeeter needed more intense care and the rehabber I got him from didn't really have time for him so she gave him to me. I'll get some better pics of his legs so y'all can see them. Would I get the prednisone from a vet or can I get it over the counter?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andarai from:

redwuff (04-16-2019)

Andarai Guest

I cant really feel anything odd in his spine, but he did bark at me so it looks like its painful.
    Name:  20190416_100043.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by Andarai; 04-16-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added picture

Thanks for letting me know. Ask around you might find someone that has some leftover for the prednisone, otherwise you do need a script from a two or four legged Dr. We will need the strength of the med and your babies weight.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.