Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Squirrel - need help getting started

Default Flying Squirrel - need help getting started

I have raised and released many grey squirrels, but I’ve never had a flying squirrel.
    My husband is a logger. He found this little one this morning. He was still in his nest when he found him. He seems to be perfectly fine. He has his eyes open, but he is still very tiny. He looks to be about 5 weeks old. I am going to weigh him before I try to feed him in a couple of hours.

So far I have been treating him like I would a baby grey.

He is in tote with a heating pad under half the tote. I also have a thick/cozy blanket lining the tote. I used a pillow case to make a nest.

I am currently using a little syringe with a little nipple on it. I didn’t try to force the nipple in his mouth. I just pushed a few beads of Pedialyte onto his mouth and he lapped them up. He didn’t drink a lot though. I normally start my grey off on this to make sure they are hydrated enough.

Because he didn’t really take to the Pedialyte, I mixed up a little esbilac puppy milk replacer with probiotics. I did a 1:2 ratio. I did 1/4 teaspoon of powder to 1/2 teaspoon of water. He did lap a couple of beads of it too. Of course, it isn’t mommas milk so he wasn’t that interested.

He is cozy and asleep right now. Any advice is appreciated.

1.) How much would he be drinking and how often?

2.) is the ratio of replacer to water okay? I also have have some Fox Valley 32/40 of that would be the better option.

Name:  BAB398FF-C70E-4305-B162-52A50C840438.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  87.5 KB

Default Re: Flying Squirrel - need help getting started

Name:  24E0511A-717F-4F84-8A17-F13027F00C9B.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  77.7 KB

I was in your same shoes about two and a half years ago when my daughter brought home a baby flying squirrel that was dehydrated and pretty near starved. I was told to give her Pedialyte and water for the first several feedings and then to use Esbilac puppy formula 3 to 1 to start with for a day and then two to one for a day, and then you're at your regular strength but there should be other people looking at these threads coming on soon I hope to give you more accurate information and how much to feed but he seems pretty healthy and it seems that you are doing a good job.
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Chippergray (04-15-2019)

Here he is eating. I got him to eat almost 3/4 of a cc. Again, I didn’t force the nipple. I just let him lap it off. His weight is about 24-26 grams. My scale isn’t the best so this is give or take a gram or two.

Name:  3EF15F7D-CEEB-4EB0-AA86-880F8C96C961.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  90.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roxi's mom View Post
    I was in your same shoes about two and a half years ago when my daughter brought home a baby flying squirrel that was dehydrated and pretty near starved. I was told to give her Pedialyte and water for the first several feedings and then to use Esbilac puppy formula 3 to 1 to start with for a day and then two to one for a day, and then you're at your regular strength but there should be other people looking at these threads coming on soon I hope to give you more accurate information and how much to feed but he seems pretty healthy and it seems that you are doing a good job.
    Thank you 🙏. He isn’t dehydrated for sure. That’s why I’m going ahead with formula. Did your make it okay?

It sounds like you have everything under control.

Based on the chart your baby is about 30 days old.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-and-age/page3

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It sounds like you have everything under control.

Based on the chart your baby is about 30 days old.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-and-age/page3
    Thank you! That is very helpful.

He is a she. 😬 whoops.

Is it normal for her to want to sleep all the time? She even falls asleep while eating.

I have very limited knowledge with flyers, but I recently was brought one that was only 21gr. Yes, mine did sleep a lot. During the day he would climb into my sports bra and sleep for the whole day. They are nocturnal, so night time is when they are most active.

Feeding them during the day you are literally waking them up to do it, so she could fall back asleep. She needs to eat every 3-4 hrs. You might need to encourage her to take more of the formula, that doesn’t seem like much. I went back and checked my records, when mine was 22gr. he was taking 1 to 1.5 cc at each feeding. It may take a little time for her to get used to the syringe and the taste of the formula.

Do not feed Fox Valley 32/40. It’s not recommended to use as it turns to sludge in their bellies and squirrels can’t digest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have very limited knowledge with flyers, but I recently was brought one that was only 21gr. Yes, mine did sleep a lot. During the day he would climb into my sports bra and sleep for the whole day. They are nocturnal, so night time is when they are most active.

Feeding them during the day you are literally waking them up to do it, so she could fall back asleep. She needs to eat every 3-4 hrs. You might need to encourage her to take more of the formula, that doesn’t seem like much. I went back and checked my records, when mine was 22gr. he was taking 1 to 1.5 cc at each feeding. It may take a little time for her to get used to the syringe and the taste of the formula.

Do not feed Fox Valley 32/40. It’s not recommended to use as it turns to sludge in their bellies and squirrels can’t digest it.
    Thank you for the reply.

She sleeps a lot no matter the time of day. I fed her at midnight. She was hard to keep awake. However, she was wide awake for her 4 am feeding. As soon as she ate she was ready to go back to sleep though. She is eating very good now. But instead of trying to suck the nipple she licks it. She drank 3ml for her 12 o’clock feeding.

Name:  7CCA6C13-EF2F-46AD-8F5A-AF1BFF4A5920.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  108.0 KB

Yes, young squirrels do sleep a lot. As long as she continues to eat, I don’t think there’s a problem. If she starts refusing to eat let us know immediately.

My flyer sucked from the nipple for a very short time. He licks it off the end of the nipple. My little guy is almost 5 months old and I can still get him to take between 3-6 ml of formula a day. It’s the best insurance against MBD.

You know that she cannot be released by herself, right? Unlike grays, flyers are very social and must be released with at least one other flyer in an area where there is a colony, if possible. Your girl will bond closely to you with no other flyers around. If you want her to be released we can try to find a member that may be able to release for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes, young squirrels do sleep a lot. As long as she continues to eat, I don’t think there’s a problem. If she starts refusing to eat let us know immediately.

My flyer sucked from the nipple for a very short time. He licks it off the end of the nipple. My little guy is almost 5 months old and I can still get him to take between 3-6 ml of formula a day. It’s the best insurance against MBD.

You know that she cannot be released by herself, right? Unlike grays, flyers are very social and must be released with at least one other flyer in an area where there is a colony, if possible. Your girl will bond closely to you with no other flyers around. If you want her to be released we can try to find a member that may be able to release for you.
    Her past 2 feedings she only drank about 1cc. I suppose that’s about right. 25% if 26-28 grams of body weight is about 7cc she should be drinking within a 24 hr period. I feed her 6 times a day. She did nibble a teensy bit of nut square mix that I use for my grey squirrels since that’s really the only thing I have on hand. I don’t think she liked it much. I have ordered her some picky blocks from Henry’s. I also order her a Miracle mini nipple. Maybe she will try to suck a little. I just don’t want to overdo it. She definitely wants to nibble on food, but she’s just started formula. I don’t want to give her digestive problems. Should I at least start giving her calcium supplements along with the formula and blocks?

If she’s taking formula there’s really no need for a calcium supplement. I have a flavored tums and a small mineral shape in the cage with my guy. I’ve seen him chew on the tums occasionally.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chippergray (04-18-2019)

I took on the responsibility of a single surviving flyer on Christmas day which was slightly younger than your cutie at the time - he ate on avg about 1.5 ml from an oral med syringe 2-3 times a day until he started refusing it and eating nuts / fruits / veggies. I tried feeding him more volune per day based on recommendations, but he refused more than 1.5-2ml max at any given feed those first 2 months. Initially I followed the advice of a rehabber and made a Nutsquare that was to provide the needed intake of Calcium / magnesium / phosphorous to maintain optimal health. As time passed my little BabyNut refused to eat these. I sought further info and ended up in here last week. I ordered Henry's protein blocks -- 4 days in and he has refused to even lick one or pick it up ....considering trying the picky eater blocks next. He did LOVE the live mealworms being added to his diet (also recommended on here for protein) .

He is SUPER ACTIVE and playful for a solid hour at most - now that he is likely 5 months old...but still sleeps probably 22 hrs a day unless you remove him from his home and wake him. I think when they are loners and without a sibling, they must prefer to sleep almost the entire 24hrs By the 3rd month he was definitely more alert and apt to climb / jump and EAT from 9pm -11pm ish.

I could write pages about his progress from your size till now. Ha ha

He is climbing doors and soaring down onto my bed as I write this

Look forward to sharing some pics and stories with another flyer
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Name:  3E984D44-81DB-41AA-83C8-8704279A39E3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  283.4 KBName:  7A8EFD88-6FD3-4CE5-AE9B-2C6B01B9BA5E.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  101.2 KBName:  845E6AC4-212A-41E5-B31F-0DC5C6348119.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  76.9 KBName:  6DFAEBF3-7525-4F80-B4B0-C25B3D6AA36E.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  119.4 KBName:  4CACE2A0-8760-42E1-B098-BD7D892063A2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  136.5 KB

BabyNut from 5-6 weeks to 5 months

Not sure if this will be correct --but going to try to upload a video link of him during playtime ....

https://youtu.be/sDoFuzQ50Ls

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Outdooronly from:

Diggie's Friend (04-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Outdooronly View Post
    I took on the responsibility of a single surviving flyer on Christmas day which was slightly younger than your cutie at the time - he ate on avg about 1.5 ml from an oral med syringe 2-3 times a day until he started refusing it and eating nuts / fruits / veggies. I tried feeding him more volune per day based on recommendations, but he refused more than 1.5-2ml max at any given feed those first 2 months. Initially I followed the advice of a rehabber and made a Nutsquare that was to provide the needed intake of Calcium / magnesium / phosphorous to maintain optimal health. As time passed my little BabyNut refused to eat these. I sought further info and ended up in here last week. I ordered Henry's protein blocks -- 4 days in and he has refused to even lick one or pick it up ....considering trying the picky eater blocks next. He did LOVE the live mealworms being added to his diet (also recommended on here for protein) .

He is SUPER ACTIVE and playful for a solid hour at most - now that he is likely 5 months old...but still sleeps probably 22 hrs a day unless you remove him from his home and wake him. I think when they are loners and without a sibling, they must prefer to sleep almost the entire 24hrs By the 3rd month he was definitely more alert and apt to climb / jump and EAT from 9pm -11pm ish.

I could write pages about his progress from your size till now. Ha ha

He is climbing doors and soaring down onto my bed as I write this

Look forward to sharing some pics and stories with another flyer
    Thank you so much for this info. My little one is eating so much better thanks to the mini Miracle nipple. It has truly made a difference. She loves it. I’ve noticed she wants to eat more during her nighttime feeding. I guess because she is nocturnal. Had a little scare tonight. Getting use to the new syringe, I pressed it to fast at first. I held her upside down and patted her back. I hate doing that. It scares me to death.
    I haven’t gotten her picky blocks in yet. I always used Squirrel Nutrition nut squares that I mixed with fruit. I always feed them to my greys. If she doesn’t like Henry’s, I may go back to those if it will provide enough nutrition for her too.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdooronly View Post
    Name:  3E984D44-81DB-41AA-83C8-8704279A39E3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  283.4 KBName:  7A8EFD88-6FD3-4CE5-AE9B-2C6B01B9BA5E.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  101.2 KBName:  845E6AC4-212A-41E5-B31F-0DC5C6348119.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  76.9 KBName:  6DFAEBF3-7525-4F80-B4B0-C25B3D6AA36E.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  119.4 KBName:  4CACE2A0-8760-42E1-B098-BD7D892063A2.jpg
Views: 202