Thread: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

Hybrid View

Default Re: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

As far as mushroom, I buy them at the grocery store. I have tried ALL of them. I hope you like mushrooms. If he won’t eat it at least you can eat them. My problem is that I don’t eat mushrooms and they don’t last long before they go bad. You could experiment and see which ones, if any, he will like best. I have tried the white button mushrooms, shiitake, portabella, oyster and even porcini. I bought the dried porcini because I read they have a nutty taste. They took a few nibbles.

I buy the live worms at a pet retailer. My boys much prefer the waxworks. I’m not sure what the problem is but there have been national shortages this past year. The stores were often out of them. It seems to be a little better lately. You can buy much better worms online at a place like Grubco. I tried to purchase online but they would not ship without a signature on arrival. I couldn’t do that because I worked. I just retired so I will try that again. It was because the worms will die sitting in a mailbox in FL. They just can’t handle extreme temps. The meal worms are not nearly as fragile so you can try those also.
    Worms are stored in the refrigerator. The wax worms must be stored in the door or they will die. If I put them in the main part of the refrigerator they get too cold and die. I’m a little confused about live vs dried worms as far as nutrition. The purpose of feeding worms is for the protein. The analysis of the dried worms indicates a very high protein so they should be good but I don’t feed them. I have no doubt they prefer a live worm to a dried shell of a worm. In nature, they have a field day tearing through a dried log eating insects and grubs. The dried are more convenient and cost effective but I just feel the live worms are better.

By the way, I reversed the Calcium : Phosphorus ratio in my first post. Thank you Nancy for correcting that. The ideal Calcium : Phosphorus ratio is 2 calcium to 1 phosphorus. I’m going to get a link that shows the calcium to phosphorus ratio of different foods. It will help you as far as knowing which foods are the best as far as calcium. It will also show you why nuts and seeds are SO bad. Keep in mind that calcium is just one aspect of nutrition and balance is the key.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1232419601

If you study the chart you will note that of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts are the better nut as far as calcium although still not great. You will also see why I never feed pine nuts. (1:35.9) Peanuts are also on my no feed list. I feel if they are going to get a treat (which they do) it should at least be a choice that is somewhat better than another choice.

I forgot to mention this, but I buy a dehydrated dog treat for the boys. It is called Pure Bites dehydrated chicken. It is 100% chicken without preservative or questionable ingredients. I don’t buy the chicken jerky treats because they are almost all made in China and we know how that goes.
    Last edited by HRT4SQRLS; 04-12-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Adding link

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019), Snicker Bar (04-12-2019)

Default Re: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

I buy the live worms at a pet retailer. My boys much prefer the waxworks. I’m not sure what the problem is but there have been national shortages this past year. The stores were often out of them. It seems to be a little better lately. You can buy much better worms online at a place like Grubco.]

If you study the chart you will note that of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts are the better nut as far as calcium although still not great. You will also see why I never feed pine nuts. (1:35.9) Peanuts are also on my no feed list. I feel if they are going to get a treat (which they do) it should at least be a choice that is somewhat better than another choice.
    . [/QUOTE]
    -----

So - got the mushrooms added - I had offered these a month or so ago and he refused, but today was happy AND was able to get live mealworms and he attacked them with ferocious excitement toward food for the first time in a while -- YEA !!!

To clarify -- how many & how often do you feed the mealworms ?? &/ or chicken protein

Also -- i reviewed the Calcium / Phosphorous chart of foods ..... is the goal to mainly / daily feed a food source that has as close 2:1 ratio as possible -- AVOID those that are drastically far off from the 2:1 ratio and "treats only" for the ones that are slightly more off balanced ???

Making my cheat sheets to tape to my pantry door

GREATEST APPRECIATION for everyone's help !!!

Will try an attachment of BabyNut eating the live mealworm .....Name:  12FFAF04-4FE3-48C7-A157-0A6F5E6A5211.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  119.4 KB

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Outdooronly:

HRT4SQRLS (04-13-2019), Nancy in New York (04-13-2019)