Thread: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

Default COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

In summary - by mere set of odd circumstances, took on the responsibility of "saving" a baby flying squirrel on Christmas day (parent killed by engaging a giant rat that had been stuck on sticky paper strip for catching/removal & set in crook of Oak tree temporarily by homeowner & all babies hurled to their death by invading squirrels ). Dog grabbed 1st fallen one (according to homeowner who went to investigate noise) 3 other baby flyers scooped up - 2 died within the hr & the final remaining one was brought to me (the NICU nurse) as they knew I was in town visiting for the holidays. Had zero knowledge of squirrel care. Did a cursory search using my phone that day , followed basic caregiving routine I found online-- got baby warmed / hydrated / returned home with him and managed heating source/ box / formula feeds while I figured out if any rehabbers near me etc. The person I found online stated she had rehabbed squirrels for 30 + yrs, seemed knowledgeable, and after giving her complete details on the place the baby was located at time of losing family, current location, environment etc, she said he would die if sent back into the wild, I would do best to provide him the best quality life as a "pet". So, here I am 4 + months later --- "BabyNut" is alive, has recently upgraded to a taller "home", very active, and me the "MommaNut" is terrified I still have not provided the proper nutrition and despite my rotating the layout of a beside PLAYGROUND and the inside climbing choices etc in his cage the proper mental entertainment/challenges.

I have tried to read through what seems like MILLIONS of posts / chats / recommendations etc on top of the original rehaber's advice. She had me purchase a long list of vitamins/ ingredients & make what is referred to as NutSquares (1/4 to be given daily). Well, my little BabyNut liked this for the 1st month or so and has steadily refused any intake of these. I have tried making different batches, altering the main fruit (liquid base) ingredient from her list of choices, reducing the amount of sesame seeds (which he seemed to leave every one uneaten) etc etc

I keep offering various fruits / veggies and pecans/ acorns / walnuts, but feel like he really does NOT eat and just tries to STASH all of it -- in MY SHIRT no less .... Which I guess I could feel is just the sweetest way of him trying to take care of me ... ha ha --- but as I have seen posted somewhere on here "I am but his tree trunk"

Anyway, the person I started with seems VERY ANTI seeking advice from others, but much of what she swears by does not seem to match the advice seen on this site the more I read. My concern is advice for providing and releasing in a few months does not allow the caregiver to truly know what choices they make provide the proper or BEST care over a lifespan.

So -- to start ---- Is this Henry's treats I keep reading over and over THE product that is vital to a flying squirrel for optimal health longterm ???

Advice for getting my PICKY eater that just seems to stick his nose up at everything lately to EAT ?

EXACTLY what amounts of food in a day or feeding SHOULD I expect him to eat ? I know he is little -- so difficult for me to judge a total intake that is
    right for his size

He transitioned into his OWN eating habits, whereby even when offered food (veggies / fruits /nuts) he basically waits and leaves it there until about 10 -11pm and then may or may not choose to eat some, sometimes will actively try to stash IF I am around and he does it on me -- otherwise he will just leave it there & I discard and clean the area.

I also have seen many suggest they use Walmart "Nut and Berry" as part of the offerings. I had zero idea what this was & then as I was putting the feed in my birdfeeder today - I actually looked at the bag --- it said NUT AND BERRY ..... so seems I have the product already ... HA HA HA -- but for a flyer -- how much are we talking -- a pinch (??) -- a teaspoon full ?

I imagine I have a million more questions --- but will be most GRATEFUL if I receive even a little support on this journey I now find myself

I would LOVE to add photos of my wee one that was strong enough to be a sole survivor, but I have not figured out how to do that at all Name:  BN4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  333.5 KBName:  BN2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  200.7 KBName:  BN3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  100.4 KBName:  BN6.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  283.4 KBName:  BN4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  333.5 KBName:  BN2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  200.7 KBName:  BN3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  100.4 KB

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Outdooronly:

gunpackingrandma (04-12-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019), TubeDriver (04-12-2019)

Default Re: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

Well--- I somehow managed to INSERT a few photos into the body of my 1st post -- they are GIANT and repetitive -- my apologies as I try to navigate this Smithsonian sized data base appropriately ..

to TSB. Your baby is adorable...

Quote Originally Posted by Outdooronly View Post
    So -- to start ---- Is this Henry's treats I keep reading over and over THE product that is vital to a flying squirrel for optimal health longterm ???

Yes, Henry's... I am a fan. They more "supplements" than treats (though they sell treats too)... It is nearly impossible to get they all they need without something like Henry's in the mix.

Advice for getting my PICKY eater that just seems to stick his nose up at everything lately to EAT ?

There is advice on Henry's site regarding picky eaters you should review... it is as much training as it is anything else. Feed the block and nothing else until they eat it. My "kids" line up for block like kids at an neighborhood ice-cream truck. There are videos here somewhere in the Smithsonian...

EXACTLY what amounts of food in a day or feeding SHOULD I expect him to eat ? I know he is little -- so difficult for me to judge a total intake that is right for his size

Here is a link to the healthy flyer diet. It is all about variety and healthy foods.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=flyer+diet

5. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (04-11-2019), HRT4SQRLS (04-12-2019), island rehabber (04-11-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019)

Much appreciation for the replies -- ordering the Henry's products now .... I have more "video" than pics -- he has definitely made my life more interesting-- in a positive way. I guess fate can work in mysterious ways.

to TheSquirreBoard

I'm glad you found us. I think we can help you. One of the things I agree with is that a single flyer can not be released. Flyers are colony dwellers and depend on the colony for survival. While it is possible to successfully release a group of flyers, it is not advisable to release a singleton. The survival rate would be low. Rehabbers try to incorporate singles into a group that is being prepared for release. With that said, flyers do make great pets. They do bond to people and can be good pets if you can handle the nocturnal 'thing'.

I'm not a big fan of the NutSquares. When someone doesn't want you to seek 'other' advice, it sends up a red flag for me. We should all be on the same page or at least close. I have 2 male flyers. One is 8yo and the other is 6yo. I purchase the Picky Eater block that Henry's sells. They make a high protein block specifically for flyers (and baby squirrels) but my boys don't like them so I use the Picky Eater block. Along with the block, they eat an assortment of veggies. Flyers have higher protein requirements than tree squirrels so their diet must include protein... meal worms or WaxWorms. My boys prefer the WaxWorms. They get a pinch of oatmeal (the real oats not quick oats). The also get a small piece of fruit. They like apple, love orange, blueberry, watermelon). The fruit should be limited. In the morning whent they are going to bed they get 1/2 of an almond. Yes, I take a single almond and split it. They each get 1/2.

Are you familiar with the calcium requirements of squirrels including flyers and how the diet can adversely affect their health? If not you should probably read up on Metabolic Bone Disease. Nut and seeds must be limited because they are extremely unhealthy. They are high phosphorus foods. Phosphorus and calcium have a metabolic balance in the body. That balance is 2:1 (Calcium : Phosphorus) If the diet is high in phosphorus like nuts and seeds the body will pull calcium from the bones to try to maintain the balance. This is what causes MBD. It is fatal if not treated. With this in mind, I would give the Nut & Berry mix to the birds. Your baby can have a tiny pinch as a treat but not as a part of the diet. Any treat foods must be limited or they will stop eating the healthy foods and wait for the treats.

Another thing we feed is mushrooms. They are high in Vitamin D which is important for calcium utilization. They eat the gills.

SO, this gives you a start.

By the way, that is a handsome boy you have there.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 04-12-2019 at 04:42 AM.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (04-12-2019), island rehabber (04-11-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019), TubeDriver (04-12-2019)

You've gotten great advice here. I have only released one little flyer so I am NO expert, but I wanted to ditto everything said about henryspets.com and their products. I feed them to all my rehab squirrels to set them up in the best health possible before release. Henry's blocks are all human-grade ingredients and the owner of the company, a long-time member here on TSB, has many many years of research behind her excellent products.

That "Nut Square" dude? He also recommends the most ghastly diet on earth that kills baby squirrels: scalded cow's milk (from the fridge) instead of squirrel-specific formula from a company like Fox Valley. He will not tolerate any criticism on his site (he deletes you immediately) and has refused to even discuss anything with me off-line although he trashed TSB and me BY NAME. NOT a credible or ethical individual regardless of his slick website.

OK I'll shut up now. Your fly boy is gorgeous!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    to TheSquirreBoard

I'm glad you found us. I think we can help you. One of the things I agree with is that a single flyer can not be released. Flyers are colony dwellers and depend on the colony for survival. While it is possible to successfully release a group of flyers, it is not advisable to release a singleton. The survival rate would be low. Rehabbers try to incorporate singles into a group that is being prepared for release. With that said, flyers do make great pets. They do bond to people and can be good pets if you can handle the nocturnal 'thing'.

I'm not a big fan of the NutSquares. When someone doesn't want you to seek 'other' advice, it sends up a red flag for me. We should all be on the same page or at least close. I have 2 male flyers. One is 8yo and the other is 6yo. I purchase the Picky Eater block that Henry's sells. They make a high protein block specifically for flyers (and baby squirrels) but my boys don't like them so I use the Picky Eater block. Along with the block, they eat an assortment of veggies. Flyers have higher protein requirements than tree squirrels so their diet must include protein... meal worms or WaxWorms. My boys prefer the WaxWorms. They get a pinch of oatmeal (the real oats not quick oats). The also get a small piece of fruit. They like apple, love orange, blueberry, watermelon). The fruit should be limited. In the morning whent they are going to bed they get 1/2 of an almond. Yes, I take a single almond and split it. They each get 1/2.

Are you familiar with the calcium requirements of squirrels including flyers and how the diet can adversely affect their health? If not you should probably read up on Metabolic Bone Disease. Nut and seeds must be limited because they are extremely unhealthy. They are high phosphorus foods. Phosphorus and calcium have a metabolic balance in the body. That balance is 2:1 (Calcium : Phosphorus) If the diet is high in phosphorus like nuts and seeds the body will pull calcium from the bones to try to maintain the balance. This is what causes MBD. It is fatal if not treated. With this in mind, I would give the Nut & Berry mix to the birds. Your baby can have a tiny pinch as a treat but not as a part of the diet. Any treat foods must be limited or they will stop eating the healthy foods and wait for the treats.

Another thing we feed is mushrooms. They are high in Vitamin D which is important for calcium utilization. They eat the gills.

SO, this gives you a start.

By the way, that is a handsome boy you have there.

1) TERRIFIED of not consistently providing correct diet to prevent MBD. -- and you provided the best explanation of food intake/ phosphorous correlation . It is unnerving not feeling confident in my knowledge of keeping the correct calcium / phosphorous intake-- so very appreciative of guidance regarding this topic!!! Henry"s ordered and cannot get here fast enough

2) Can you clarify which mushrooms you provide -- where to buy ?

3) Also clarify which mealworms /waxworms ... I have read conflicted info on " live" vs packaged --- which is best ?? Where to buy ???

Forever grateful for the support and guidance
    Last edited by Spanky; 04-12-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Fixed / inserted the end to the quote...

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Outdooronly:

HRT4SQRLS (04-12-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019)

As far as mushroom, I buy them at the grocery store. I have tried ALL of them. I hope you like mushrooms. If he won’t eat it at least you can eat them. My problem is that I don’t eat mushrooms and they don’t last long before they go bad. You could experiment and see which ones, if any, he will like best. I have tried the white button mushrooms, shiitake, portabella, oyster and even porcini. I bought the dried porcini because I read they have a nutty taste. They took a few nibbles.

I buy the live worms at a pet retailer. My boys much prefer the waxworks. I’m not sure what the problem is but there have been national shortages this past year. The stores were often out of them. It seems to be a little better lately. You can buy much better worms online at a place like Grubco. I tried to purchase online but they would not ship without a signature on arrival. I couldn’t do that because I worked. I just retired so I will try that again. It was because the worms will die sitting in a mailbox in FL. They just can’t handle extreme temps. The meal worms are not nearly as fragile so you can try those also.
    Worms are stored in the refrigerator. The wax worms must be stored in the door or they will die. If I put them in the main part of the refrigerator they get too cold and die. I’m a little confused about live vs dried worms as far as nutrition. The purpose of feeding worms is for the protein. The analysis of the dried worms indicates a very high protein so they should be good but I don’t feed them. I have no doubt they prefer a live worm to a dried shell of a worm. In nature, they have a field day tearing through a dried log eating insects and grubs. The dried are more convenient and cost effective but I just feel the live worms are better.

By the way, I reversed the Calcium : Phosphorus ratio in my first post. Thank you Nancy for correcting that. The ideal Calcium : Phosphorus ratio is 2 calcium to 1 phosphorus. I’m going to get a link that shows the calcium to phosphorus ratio of different foods. It will help you as far as knowing which foods are the best as far as calcium. It will also show you why nuts and seeds are SO bad. Keep in mind that calcium is just one aspect of nutrition and balance is the key.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1232419601

If you study the chart you will note that of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts are the better nut as far as calcium although still not great. You will also see why I never feed pine nuts. (1:35.9) Peanuts are also on my no feed list. I feel if they are going to get a treat (which they do) it should at least be a choice that is somewhat better than another choice.

I forgot to mention this, but I buy a dehydrated dog treat for the boys. It is called Pure Bites dehydrated chicken. It is 100% chicken without preservative or questionable ingredients. I don’t buy the chicken jerky treats because they are almost all made in China and we know how that goes.
    Last edited by HRT4SQRLS; 04-12-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Adding link

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019), Snicker Bar (04-12-2019)

I am still learning here as well, so please listen to the experts here ...And if I’m wrong I will follow the advice as well. But I ordered the Henry’s Healthy Pets plain Calcium Carbonate Powder. It just got kind of confusing to me, which version ( with / without vitamin D 3) so I figured I couldn’t go wrong using the Henry’s version ! I also am still unsure of the frequency (?) , so again listen if others verify...But I lightly dust their “ protein” (wax or mealworms) EVERY night. Mine prefer the live; I tried the dried and it was a NO. In fact, mine will eat most any insect that accidentally gets into their porch / flight room. The carnage ( wings, barbed legs) is randomly scattered here and there most mornings... Grosses me out! There are many good online sources to order these from, ( and for two adults it’s more economical) but for your little teenie PetCo or PetSmsrt is a place to start. I ALWAYS open the tubs and check the quality first! Sometimes they have bad batches that are mostly dead ( black) or worse, decayed. I’ve never had that problem with the Online companies. The mushrooms (?) I would think organic white is ok(?) But now that I read the “frill” is the best part, maybe the bigger pieces with more frill (than stem) would be better...(?) I also offer boiled egg , avacado, and leftover boo balls ( see recipes in Nutrition section) that my other greys don’t eat. My WHOLE gang is pathetically picky ( my fault, didn’t start off right) so I have to prepare things made with the Henry’s blocks. I always gather the leftover blocks ( as long as clean and still fresh/no mold) and freeze them for making recipes. Vanilla yogurt is also supposed to be good (?) The whole milk fat versions. I honestly can’t tell if they like it? But I do! So I simply put a little blob on their plate, and a few scoops in my mouth... Don’t want to waste !

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

HRT4SQRLS (04-12-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019)

Your pictures of your little man are gorgeous. So glad you found us!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Snicker Bar (04-12-2019)

You are getting excellent advice from very experienced flyer folks.

A couple other things besides diet (which seems to be about the single, most important variable for overall health) includes making your squirrel room or house ..... squirrel proof. That includes crawling around on the floor, looking up at the bottom edge of cabinets and peeking up along the ceiling for any little holes, crevices etc that could allow escape or trap a flyer. Plug any holes or crevices, fix any loose HVAC ducts that are loose etc. Leaving toilet seats closed and placing an "escape ladder" (hardware cloth mesh or rope) in the toilet bowl that would allow a swimming flyer a chance to crawl out.

Lastly, a warning about other pets. Even the sweetest cat or old dog can have its predatory instincts raised by the movement and appearance of a squirrel or flyer. They can NEVER be trusted together without constant supervision so its best to keep them apart.

Your little guy is super cute. I hope to be able to help a flyer some day. They are supposed to be around in my area but I NEVER see them.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

HRT4SQRLS (04-12-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), Snicker Bar (04-12-2019)

Yes, Snickers is right. You can dust the worms with pure calcium carbonate powder to offset the CA:P imbalance that worms have. On OCCASION I will dust their food with Calcium carbonate w/ Vitamin D3. This is an occasional thing because too much Vitamin D is toxic to rodents. Some rodenticides are Vitamin D based so I知 a little afraid of it. Of course, they do need some I知 just very cautious. I have studied this and the reptile products like ReptiCal have extremely low levels of D3 but I still use it sparingly.

I see that your boy gets acorns. I want to give you the heads up on acorns. Acorns are risky because they are moist inside. This makes them prone to fungal growth inside. Some fungi (not all) produce aflatoxins that are deadly. Squirrels have died in captivity from tainted acorns. At this time of year I would not feed acorns because they are all old and on the ground. (This might have been an older picture though when acorns were fresh.) This is the way I feel about acorns. I do give them a few acorns when they are fresh. They dearly love them. It is one of the few things I can give them from their world (trees). When the acorns are fresh (Fall) I will either pick acorns from the tree or take a freshly fallen acorn. I cut them in half with a sharp knife to inspect them for fungal growth. Often acorns that are perfect on the outside are bad on the inside. Acorns are the first thing they snag off of the plate. Feeding acorns is a choice that everyone makes for themselves. Some rehabbers won稚 feed any acorns at all.
    I do give my boys acorns (in season) but I知 very cautious with them due to the risk.

Thank TubeDriver for mentioning the toilet. The NUMBER ONE cause of death of flyers in the home is drowning in the toilet. It is one of the most heartbreaking AND avoidable things that can ever happen to a beloved flyer.

I am totally convinced that flyers are drawn to the water in the toilet. There are far too many drownings for it to be coincidental like an accidental slip and fall.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Yes, Snickers is right. You can dust the worms with pure calcium carbonate powder to offset the CA:P imbalance that worms have. On OCCASION I will dust their food with Calcium carbonate w/ Vitamin D3. This is an occasional thing because too much Vitamin D is toxic to rodents. Some rodenticides are Vitamin D based so I知 a little afraid of it. Of course, they do need some I知 just very cautious. I have studied this and the reptile products like ReptiCal have extremely low levels of D3 but I still use it sparingly.

I see that your boy gets acorns. I want to give you the heads up on acorns. Acorns are risky because they are moist inside. This makes them prone to fungal growth inside. Some fungi (not all) produce aflatoxins that are deadly. Squirrels have died in captivity from tainted acorns. At this time of year I would not feed acorns because they are all old and on the ground. (This might have been an older picture though when acorns were fresh.) This is the way I feel about acorns. I do give them a few acorns when they are fresh. They dearly love them. It is one of the few things I can give them from their world (trees). When the acorns are fresh (Fall) I will either pick acorns from the tree or take a freshly fallen acorn. I cut them in half with a sharp knife to inspect them for fungal growth. Often acorns that are perfect on the outside are bad on the inside. Acorns are the first thing they snag off of the plate. Feeding acorns is a choice that everyone makes for themselves. Some rehabbers won稚 feed any acorns at all.
    I do give my boys acorns (in season) but I知 very cautious with them due to the risk.

The acorns I scooped up and put in a freezer back the first few days I had him (December) in South Louisiana.... I read green ones were toxic ... so got ones as they fell with a storm that passed thru and froze them. Have given him 2-3 (and they r tiny) over the course of a week for teeth chewing as much as intake. I figured they would be fresh in freezer for 4-6 months (??) The grey squirrels in my back yard are still digging up and eating the leftovers from my 4 oak trees ..

I had read about the toilet issue - so keep lids down 100%. I live alone --NO other pets etc to compete with. Previous dog passed on and not replaced after 17 yrs and only child is out of state as a Sophomore in college. So...guess this odd circumstance was fate putting me into caregiving mode again for a busy and interesting companion !

He has been funny / adorable / messy / curios / loving and more.... He has his own home for work hours and nites. I allow him to exercise / soar / play in my master bedroom area supervised, as he has no family and I feel it would be no quality of life if he were simply confined to a cage.

I proofed it -- which was not difficult, as our home (and community) FLOODED 2 yrs ago .. so it was gutted and remodeled but I chose NOT to refill it with tons of furnishings and stuff. Tile floors for easy sweeping up his messes ... Ha ha ha

He came when I truly had the time to provide interaction, safe environments and tons of love !!

Lucky for us both given the circumstances ....

The acorns I scooped up and put in a freezer back the first few days I had him (December) in South Louisiana.... I read green ones were toxic ... so got ones as they fell with a storm that passed thru and froze them. Have given him 2-3 (and they r tiny) over the course of a week for teeth chewing as much as intake. I figured they would be fresh in freezer for 4-6 months (??) The grey squirrels in my back yard are still digging up and eating the leftovers from my 4 oak trees ..

Please read this link below about frozen acorns. With so many options out there, I would never chance
    another acorn.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...kill-squirrels
    The wild squirrels KNOW the difference between a good nut and a bad.
    Our little charges believe whatever WE GIVE THEM is good, that's how much they trust us.
    A few years back I threw out ~8 pecans in the shell. The squirrels kept ignoring this certain one.
    They would pick it up sniff it, and leave it. I went outside after several ignored it, and cracked it open.
    Yup it was rotten.
    I had heard that outside squirrels know the differrence, but wasn't sure I believed it.
    Now, I'm a believer.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 04-12-2019 at 05:49 PM.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-13-2019)

Ok -- thats even MORE terrifying.... the dietary intake makes one scared to feed them anything ... whah .... -- Well out with acorns now !

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Outdooronly from:

Nancy in New York (04-12-2019)

I buy the live worms at a pet retailer. My boys much prefer the waxworks. I知 not sure what the problem is but there have been national shortages this past year. The stores were often out of them. It seems to be a little better lately. You can buy much better worms online at a place like Grubco.]

If you study the chart you will note that of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts are the better nut as far as calcium although still not great. You will also see why I never feed pine nuts. (1:35.9) Peanuts are also on my no feed list. I feel if they are going to get a treat (which they do) it should at least be a choice that is somewhat better than another choice.
    . [/QUOTE]
    -----

So - got the mushrooms added - I had offered these a month or so ago and he refused, but today was happy AND was able to get live mealworms and he attacked them with ferocious excitement toward food for the first time in a while -- YEA !!!

To clarify -- how many & how often do you feed the mealworms ?? &/ or chicken protein

Also -- i reviewed the Calcium / Phosphorous chart of foods ..... is the goal to mainly / daily feed a food source that has as close 2:1 ratio as possible -- AVOID those that are drastically far off from the 2:1 ratio and "treats only" for the ones that are slightly more off balanced ???

Making my cheat sheets to tape to my pantry door

GREATEST APPRECIATION for everyone's help !!!

Will try an attachment of BabyNut eating the live mealworm .....Name:  12FFAF04-4FE3-48C7-A157-0A6F5E6A5211.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  119.4 KB

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Outdooronly:

HRT4SQRLS (04-13-2019), Nancy in New York (04-13-2019)

I give them 2 worms and a small chunk of the dried chicken per day.

Yes, the ideal foods are 2:1 or as close as possible in terms calcium to phosphorus.
    Keep in mind that calcium is just one aspect of nutrition. Granted, for rodents it is a critical factor of nutrition. You will be interested to know that this applies to all mammals including us. This is why Cokes cause osteoporosis in humans. You won't see any calcium on the label but phosphoric acid is right there at the top. The body will try to reestablish the 2:1 levels in the body by pulling calcium from the bones. I myself was guilty of this.

Those foods that are Extremely offbalanced are on my do not feed list. Pine nuts would be on that list. Peanuts are too. You learn to substitute more healthy options for less healthy ones. In other words, an almond is a much better choice than a peanut for a treat. As you can see, it would take a lot of calcium to offset a few pine nuts.

Avocado in terms of calcium isn't much better than nuts. Actually it's worse than almonds BUT it does have other nutrients that are good so I do give them some as part of the diet. It's all about balance. You can't make the diet all about calcium but it is very important. Of course, a light dusting of calcium carbonate is helpful. I do that occasionally as a supplement. Don't overdo that because too much calcium isn't helpful either.

Yeah, it's kind of gruesome watching them eat worms. I just give them to the boys and walk away.