Thread: COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

Threaded View

Default COMPLETE newbie trying to figure out HOW to post on this site

In summary - by mere set of odd circumstances, took on the responsibility of "saving" a baby flying squirrel on Christmas day (parent killed by engaging a giant rat that had been stuck on sticky paper strip for catching/removal & set in crook of Oak tree temporarily by homeowner & all babies hurled to their death by invading squirrels ). Dog grabbed 1st fallen one (according to homeowner who went to investigate noise) 3 other baby flyers scooped up - 2 died within the hr & the final remaining one was brought to me (the NICU nurse) as they knew I was in town visiting for the holidays. Had zero knowledge of squirrel care. Did a cursory search using my phone that day , followed basic caregiving routine I found online-- got baby warmed / hydrated / returned home with him and managed heating source/ box / formula feeds while I figured out if any rehabbers near me etc. The person I found online stated she had rehabbed squirrels for 30 + yrs, seemed knowledgeable, and after giving her complete details on the place the baby was located at time of losing family, current location, environment etc, she said he would die if sent back into the wild, I would do best to provide him the best quality life as a "pet". So, here I am 4 + months later --- "BabyNut" is alive, has recently upgraded to a taller "home", very active, and me the "MommaNut" is terrified I still have not provided the proper nutrition and despite my rotating the layout of a beside PLAYGROUND and the inside climbing choices etc in his cage the proper mental entertainment/challenges.

I have tried to read through what seems like MILLIONS of posts / chats / recommendations etc on top of the original rehaber's advice. She had me purchase a long list of vitamins/ ingredients & make what is referred to as NutSquares (1/4 to be given daily). Well, my little BabyNut liked this for the 1st month or so and has steadily refused any intake of these. I have tried making different batches, altering the main fruit (liquid base) ingredient from her list of choices, reducing the amount of sesame seeds (which he seemed to leave every one uneaten) etc etc

I keep offering various fruits / veggies and pecans/ acorns / walnuts, but feel like he really does NOT eat and just tries to STASH all of it -- in MY SHIRT no less .... Which I guess I could feel is just the sweetest way of him trying to take care of me ... ha ha --- but as I have seen posted somewhere on here "I am but his tree trunk"

Anyway, the person I started with seems VERY ANTI seeking advice from others, but much of what she swears by does not seem to match the advice seen on this site the more I read. My concern is advice for providing and releasing in a few months does not allow the caregiver to truly know what choices they make provide the proper or BEST care over a lifespan.

So -- to start ---- Is this Henry's treats I keep reading over and over THE product that is vital to a flying squirrel for optimal health longterm ???

Advice for getting my PICKY eater that just seems to stick his nose up at everything lately to EAT ?

EXACTLY what amounts of food in a day or feeding SHOULD I expect him to eat ? I know he is little -- so difficult for me to judge a total intake that is
    right for his size

He transitioned into his OWN eating habits, whereby even when offered food (veggies / fruits /nuts) he basically waits and leaves it there until about 10 -11pm and then may or may not choose to eat some, sometimes will actively try to stash IF I am around and he does it on me -- otherwise he will just leave it there & I discard and clean the area.

I also have seen many suggest they use Walmart "Nut and Berry" as part of the offerings. I had zero idea what this was & then as I was putting the feed in my birdfeeder today - I actually looked at the bag --- it said NUT AND BERRY ..... so seems I have the product already ... HA HA HA -- but for a flyer -- how much are we talking -- a pinch (??) -- a teaspoon full ?

I imagine I have a million more questions --- but will be most GRATEFUL if I receive even a little support on this journey I now find myself

I would LOVE to add photos of my wee one that was strong enough to be a sole survivor, but I have not figured out how to do that at all Name:  BN4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  333.5 KBName:  BN2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  200.7 KBName:  BN3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  100.4 KBName:  BN6.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  283.4 KBName:  BN4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  333.5 KBName:  BN2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  200.7 KBName:  BN3.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  100.4 KB

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Outdooronly:

gunpackingrandma (04-12-2019), Nancy in New York (04-12-2019), redwuff (04-12-2019), TubeDriver (04-12-2019)