Thread: Hit by Car Squirrel

Nebuladarling Guest

Red face Hit by Car Squirrel

Hi guys!

It’s my first time posting here so let me know if this is the wrong place to post. I’m just in a pickle.

I do volunteer work for wildlife rehab, but I don’t do adult squirrels. And yet, on my way to work, there was a recently hit squirrel so I grabbed him and quickly checked him out. He’s been with me for a day now and eats like a champ. He’s not very active, however, and periodically loses consciousness, only to wake up later, leading me to assume there is damage to the brain. He is on antibiotics for swelling courtesy of my wildlife group, but almost no one has experience with adults. I know all the vets in the area will immediately chose euthanasia, so I'm hesitant to seek their help.

I was wondering what the success rate of a brain injured squirrel is. Would he be able to be released? I don’t want to have him euthanized unless I have to, but I don’t want him to die a slow, painful death if it could be avoided.

He’s warm and safe for now, but I want to make sure he has best chance of survival and release.

Thanks!

Default Re: Hit by Car Squirrel

Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Thanks for helping this injured adult. Unfortunately, it is a waiting game. Some will make a complete recovery and others will become non-releaseable. You have offered him the best chance by rescuing him from certain death. He had no chance in nature in his compromised state.

You could try prednisone for inflammation. Prednisone penetrates the brain and nerves so it could reduce inflammation assuming this isn’t a brain bleed. Give him a few days. He might surprise you. The fact that he’s eating is a great sign. He wants to live.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

GoldenEyes (04-09-2019), stepnstone (04-10-2019)

Default Re: Hit by Car Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuladarling View Post
    Hi guys!

It’s my first time posting here so let me know if this is the wrong place to post. I’m just in a pickle.

I do volunteer work for wildlife rehab, but I don’t do adult squirrels. And yet, on my way to work, there was a recently hit squirrel so I grabbed him and quickly checked him out. He’s been with me for a day now and eats like a champ. He’s not very active, however, and periodically loses consciousness, only to wake up later, leading me to assume there is damage to the brain. He is on antibiotics for swelling courtesy of my wildlife group, but almost no one has experience with adults. I know all the vets in the area will immediately chose euthanasia, so I'm hesitant to seek their help.

I was wondering what the success rate of a brain injured squirrel is. Would he be able to be released? I don’t want to have him euthanized unless I have to, but I don’t want him to die a slow, painful death if it could be avoided.

He’s warm and safe for now, but I want to make sure he has best chance of survival and release.

Thanks!
    Please check your PM for the name and number of a Rehabber we know in SC. Thank you for saving this squirrel's life.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.