Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

Default Re: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

You can also try supplementing with Acetyl L Carnitine. It is GRAS and is sold as a supplement at most places where vitamins and supplements are available. It's shown excellent results for treating rodents with spinal injuries and TBI, but the results in humans are less dramatic. The dose that I have seen used in research is at least 50 mg/kg, but that is high enough to cause digestive problems, so watch out for that and reduce dosage if you see anything going wrong in that department.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

Bubsy (05-05-2019)

Default Re: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

I was able to compile footage of Bubsy demonstrating a variety of different symptoms throughout the day. The clip is about 2 min. long (the last secs are head scratches to end on a positive note). Everything on this video is from today (beginning from morning & ending early evening).

I did see real progress at the start & throughout the duration of Pred. so I’m very hopeful that this is not a parasite taking control, but a neurological problem that has the potential to get better.

Is this video a good baseline? I’m happy to do anything needed. Does Bubs present like other neuro squirrels?

I appreciate so much everyone taking the time to give advice & watch Bubsy’s symptoms!!

BUBSY SYMPTOMS 5/5/19 : VIDEO LINK

https://youtu.be/itMb4ZKhikg

***Just to note: 90% of the time his head is tilted to the left
    Last edited by Bubsy; 05-05-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added head tilt to the left

Did you exclude an inner ear infection and ear mites? I adopted a dog who came with ear mites, and shortly after I got him he developed similar symptoms. The mites had been biting on him long enough to cause inflammation that went into his semi-circular canals (which control our balance) and that caused an infection in his inner ear and semi-circular canals.

He was an old dog, so the vet basically said to euthanize him, but I insisted that they check his ears before I would agree. His symptoms were similar but a good deal more severe than what I am seeing here. They also developed very suddenly, like literally overnight. I was right about my guess, and he was treated with prednisone, antibiotics, ear rinsing and a long term treatment with revolution. Ear mites are notoriously difficult to get rid of even with revolution. He is fine now, and just turned 19, if you can believe that. He had 4 more years of great health in him and only recently started declining.

Do consider supplementing with ALCAR, like I was suggesting. There is around 20 years of lab experiments showing excellent results in treating rabbits, rats and mice for spinal and neural injuries. It would almost certainly work as well for squirrels.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

Bubsy (05-06-2019)

If this is his standard behavior off all meds, than yes, this can be considered baseline. If you saw significant improvement while on pred (both times) but a worsening after stoping the pred, then I would consider a lower strength, longer term dose (~ month duration).

Treating with Revolution (a single drop orally of Kitten Revolution) is also a worth a shot.

Bubsy has not had a seizure as far as you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
    I was able to compile footage of Bubsy demonstrating a variety of different symptoms throughout the day. The clip is about 2 min. long (the last secs are head scratches to end on a positive note). Everything on this video is from today (beginning from morning & ending early evening).

I did see real progress at the start & throughout the duration of Pred. so I’m very hopeful that this is not a parasite taking control, but a neurological problem that has the potential to get better.

Is this video a good baseline? I’m happy to do anything needed. Does Bubs present like other neuro squirrels?

I appreciate so much everyone taking the time to give advice & watch Bubsy’s symptoms!!

BUBSY SYMPTOMS 5/5/19 : VIDEO LINK

https://youtu.be/itMb4ZKhikg

***Just to note: 90% of the time his head is tilted to the left
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bubsy (05-06-2019), Mel1959 (05-06-2019)

Sqwirl what a wonderful story about your dog! 19 years is incredible & such a blessing ❤️

Bubsy’s ears look okay, no redness or inflammation that I can see.

Bubsy came back to us on April 6th, looking as he does in the current video...

✔️He was treated with Diatomaceous Earth for 7-10 days orally & topically (dry) upon arrival for mites, fleas, parasites, & ticks.
    ✔️He was on Piperazine from April 6th-April 10th to treat potential worms.
    ✔️He had only one round of Prednisone April 11th-May2nd.
    ✔️I also give him a drop of apple cider vinegar every day (as a natural antibiotic).

I never saw Bubs have a seizure. I watch him quite often, but of course not 24/7.

I DEF saw significant improvement the one time Bubsy was on Pred. I’m sure I can get more prednisone if needed. I can also stop at a pet store to grab Kitten Revolution today (if I can find it locally) if you think that might help?

I currently have in house:
    ✔️Piperazine - plenty
    ✔️Prednisone - 20 ML
    ✔️Gabapentin - 100mg *human* capsules)...

I watched the video. My girl never did circles, but that’s a classic neuro issue. She did the head tilt, head bob and had nystagmus. Tubedriver, do you think a combination of prednisone and Gabapentin would be worthwhile, since she has it?

Is this the cage Bubsy is currently in and the current set up of it? If so, I think you should pad the bottom of the cage and cover up those pieces of wood with the padding. In his unstable condition you don’t want him falling on anything that could cause further trauma.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bubsy (05-06-2019)

He has already been treated with the Piperazine right? If so, probably no need to repeat that again. Unless your vet thinks a second trial might be needed?

Revolution will kill off most ear mites, ticks, fleas so it is probably worth it to give him.

I think it is probably worth a shot trying a longer trial of pred since he seemed to do so well on it. We can help you with dosing, but need to make sure you will have enough for the a longer trial and the taper at the end.

He certainly moves quickly and seems otherwise healthy. The head tilt, circling and balance issues are a concern and I think you are right to keep him safe in a cage for now. I would want to see at least a 50%+ reduction in these symptoms before considering releasing him IMHO.

Sqwirl what a wonderful story about your dog! 19 years is incredible & such a blessing ❤️

Bubsy’s ears look okay, no redness or inflammation that I can see.

Bubsy came back to us on April 6th, looking as he does in the current video...

✔️He was treated with Diatomaceous Earth for 7-10 days orally & topically (dry) upon arrival for mites, fleas, parasites, & ticks.
    ✔️He was on Piperazine from April 6th-April 10th to treat potential worms.
    ✔️He had only one round of Prednisone April 11th-May2nd.
    ✔️I also give him a drop of apple cider vinegar every day (as a natural antibiotic).

I never saw Bubs have a seizure. I watch him quite often, but of course not 24/7.

I DEF saw significant improvement the one time Bubsy was on Pred. I’m sure I can get more prednisone if needed. I can also stop at a pet store to grab Kitten Revolution today (if I can find it locally) if you think that might help?

I currently have in house:
    ✔️Piperazine - plenty
    ✔️Prednisone - 20 ML
    ✔️Gabapentin - 100mg *human* capsules)...

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (05-06-2019)

Yes, he’s been treated with Piperazine - so I think we’re set there.

I have 20 ml of prednisone left and can get more. Bubsy was at 0.9 full dose and 0.45 taper dose.

✔️How much should I have the vet prescribe (with extra to be safe)?

✔️How much Gab and how should I use the 100mg capsule?

I’m ‘softening’ his cage today (getting some excellent ideas from other threads, too).

Thank you!!

For a 30 day + taper pred, you will want ~45ml of pred at 1mg/ml strength. Get 50ml to be sure. I will PM you further info.

I will have to get back to you with the Gab dosing, I think it will be around 1mg/kg so 1-2 pills is all you need but I need to double check this with a manual that I have at home.

Yes, he’s been treated with Piperazine - so I think we’re set there.

I have 20 ml of prednisone left and can get more. Bubsy was at 0.9 full dose and 0.45 taper dose.

✔️How much should I have the vet prescribe (with extra to be safe)?

✔️How much Gab and how should I use the 100mg capsule?

I’m ‘softening’ his cage today (getting some excellent ideas from other threads, too).

Thank you!!

-Grateful Dead

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bubsy (05-06-2019), Mel1959 (05-06-2019)

Script was just called in and I’m working on padding the cage now ❤️

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bubsy from:

Mel1959 (05-06-2019)

Ear mites leave some black gunk inside the ear canal. This is from their poop and also tiny bits of blood from their bites. The ear will produce extra sebum to try and protect itself, and that is what makes the gunk. Sometimes they cause sores on the outer ear, but not necessarily. My dog did not have any exterior signs at all, for example, and he had a severe case that had been going on for probably years.

I get my revolution from here https://www.canadavet.com/revolution-C90.aspx It's generally more affordable than at the vet, and they don't require a prescription to sell it in Australia, which is where it is mailed from. The dose for a squirrel is literally one big drop, so you don't need much and can get the cheapest and smallest one.

Revolution does kill ear mites, but because they live in cartilage it is not as effective as it is for fleas/ticks/mange mites/etc. I think it is because there are few capillaries in the cartilaginous tissue that makes up the ear. So it takes really months to get rid of ear mites with revolution, if that's what's going on.

Revolution is safe and kills a very broad range of parasites, so there is no risk and some potential benefit to giving it. It is dosed once a month if you plan to/are able to repeat the treatment.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

Bubsy (05-07-2019)

Sqwirl - I’m on it. Thank you!! It was difficult to find a place to order from at first because most require a vet id.

As Bubsy was released and living in the wild for about 10months, he doesn’t let me hold him. Therefore, getting a really good look into his ear canal is almost impossible. I’m so happy he lets me scratch his head again!!

I’m going to do everything I am able to help this little guy ❤️

TubeDriver- I’m picking up more prednisone today.

Just want to make sure I’m correct:

1.0 ml daily for 30 days?

(He was originally on 0.9 ml)

Then taper...

***GOOD NEWS - Bubs is on a Teklad diet now!!***
    Last edited by Bubsy; 05-07-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Teklad diet

Hi, I will send you dosing by PM. Don't start with 1ml, that will be a bit too much. Dosing will be similar to what we did before but longer. The Teklad block is pretty healthy so he is getting all the nutrients he needs. Keep offering fresh veggies daily too!

TubeDriver- I’m picking up more prednisone today.

Just want to make sure I’m correct:

1.0 ml daily for 30 days?

(He was originally on 0.9 ml)

Then taper...

***GOOD NEWS - Bubs is on a Teklad diet now!!***

-Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (05-07-2019)

Great! I thought 1.0 ml seemed high and maybe I was confused. I’ll wait to hear from you.

Teklad in morning and veggies in afternoon. It’s working well ❤️

When I received the Teklad ingredients list I was impressed! Bubsy probably has a better diet than I do now 😆

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bubsy:

Mel1959 (05-07-2019), TubeDriver (05-07-2019)

Beyond treating with meds, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) in rats treated with vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin, was found to lend support to lowering pain and promoting healing.

For wild adult squirrels that have not been on a rodent block diet, give two needle-drops from a 1 cc (1 ml) syringe onto soft food, or if the squirrel is able to hold a nut, onto a small piece of walnut, one drop each AM and PM meals.

Once on the rodent block diet reduce to 1 needle drop daily.

https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Mineral.../dp/B01MCYXPDB

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Bubsy (05-08-2019)

Thank you, Diggie’s friend! I ordered the B12 supplement you recommended and will use it along with the medication.

Is B12 a healthy permanent supplement or to be used only during this time of healing?

Check PMs.

-Grateful Dead

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (05-09-2019)

Do not give it at the same time as you give him meds, wait to give it in between his med doses.

With rodent block diet give 1 needle-drop of the B 12 Ionic with trace minerals on his food daily. Do not use the dropper that comes with the bottle. Make sure not to lay the syringe down, save you place the syringe on a clean paper towel so it doesn't contaminate the needle.

Recommend you do a practice run by drawing up a tiny amount of the B 12 liquid to get the feel for the amount of pressure it takes to push out just one drop. Place the needle over the bottle to put in a few test drops, then put back what is leftover.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Bubsy (05-09-2019)

Regarding B12 - “in between doses” means...

If I give Bubsy prednisone in the morning I can administer the B12 in the afternoon?

Thanks!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast