Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

Default Re: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

THANK YOU- you’ve helped me feel much better!!

I work with two vets at the rescue I volunteer at. One wasn’t so compassionate and really gave me no hope - hence the fear. The other vet has been much more responsive AND empathetic. I will be working with only this vet moving forward.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get the prednisone ASAP ♥️

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bubsy:

Nancy in New York (04-10-2019), TubeDriver (04-10-2019)

Default Re: Rehabbed squirrel came home with head tilt, loss of balance, etc. Please help

The detailed raccoon information is helpful, Trooper. Thank you.

We actually had a random squirrel visit our back porch last month that presented similar behaviors that Bubsy is now demonstrating.

Specifically “looking up and into sky with wobbly head movements.”

We don’t live on a lot of land and there is no raccoon latrine on our property. But, we do live across the street from vacant, overgrown tree filled land. And, skunks and raccoons occasionally come through our property at night (they scavenge the bird/squirrel leftovers). Our dog vigorously lets us know when anything is passing through.

These roundworms sound like a nightmare!!

Ok, I just picked up the meds for Bubs!

PREDNISONE 5MG/5ML SOLN

Let’s say 1lb for now. I’m hoping to get an exact weight soon.

I’ll attach an image, too
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you tell us how much of the solution there is? Try to get an exact weight tomorrow and I will send dosing.

Bubs is lucky to have you in his corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
    Ok, I just picked up the meds for Bubs!

PREDNISONE 5MG/5ML SOLN

Let’s say 1lb for now. I’m hoping to get an exact weight soon.

I’ll attach an image, too
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (04-10-2019)

Looks like 32ML full ...
    I’m the lucky one ♥️
    I’ll do my best to get a weight

Got Bubsy’s weight! It is between 567-572 grams (movement). Take in to account the bag weighed in at 5 grams before he stepped on the scale and he’s holding a small piece of apple.
    ***I also dissolved about 200 grams of Vit C in a liter of his drinking water. I read that might be helpful?
    THX AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bubsy; 04-11-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added Vit C dose

Great will send PM shortly.

Got Bubsy’s weight! It is between 567-572 grams (movement). Take in to account the bag weighed in at 5 grams before he stepped on the scale and he’s holding a small piece of apple.
    THX AGAIN FOR THE HELP!!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (04-11-2019)

Dosing directions sent, there should not be any issues with Piperazine and prednisone together. Let us know how things are going with him as he gets through his trial of prednisone.

-Grateful Dead

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bubsy (04-11-2019), HRT4SQRLS (04-11-2019)

Default Bubsy : Pred complete : Requesting advice - further care for Neuro Squirrel? ❤️

Bubsy had his final dose of prednisone yesterday morning 😃 I was successfully able to administer the medication first thing in the morning - when he was most hungry.

I also put a drop of apple cider vinegar in his water every day.

HEALTH UPDATE & QUESTIONS...

I was originally under the impression that Bubs had not gotten any worse, but better even. His balance issues, however, still present. Some days are worse than others. Today - 24hrs after his last dose of Pred - he was especially wobbly and falling off of perches, etc. The worst I’ve seen him since he came home presenting neurological difficulties.

*I am assuming that inconsistency is common with Neuro Squirrels (some good days mixed, with some bad days)? Is this assumption correct?

*As Bubs is still presenting symptoms, what is suggested moving forward regarding the best care for my little prince? I’m concerned because, again, sometimes he does fall and/or seems to struggle on occasion jumping/moving from the top of his house to a perch, for ex.

THANK YOU!! TSB was a tremendous help in getting him this far. In fact, I think you all really played a huge role in saving Bubsy’s life and I can’t thank you enough!!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bubsy from:

TubeDriver (05-03-2019)

Default Re: Bubsy : Pred complete : Requesting advice - further care for Neuro Squirrel? ❤️

How long was the course of prednisone?

Default Re: Bubsy : Pred complete : Requesting advice - further care for Neuro Squirrel? ❤️

I am going to move this thread into your original thread so there is continuity and for background info.

-Grateful Dead

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bubsy (05-04-2019), Nancy in New York (05-04-2019)

22 days of Pred:
    8 days, full dose - every day
    8 days, full dose - every other day
    6 days, 1/2 dose - every other day

Also - to note...

Bubs is still living outside. He’s in a stainless steel cage that is 4ftx3ft. He’s located on our porch right in front of a window. He also has a wooden box - hanging about a foot from the top of the cage - where he naps and sleeps (found EGS home dimensions online).

I remove any remaining food out every night as to prevent the brazen raccoons from visiting. The cage is very secure, but the raccoons scare him :/

I’ve kept Bubsy outdoors in hopes to rerelease him one day. But, his head tilt is still consistently present. I just want him to be happy.

Any recommendations on cage, living outdoors vs indoors... maybe it’s too soon to determine??

(BTW - I do have a 5lb dog that has spent the last 4 weeks staring at Bubs, LOL. Sometimes they stare at each other through the window)

I would give him more time, see how he does after he has been off the pred for a while. Head injuries can take a considerable amount of time to recover from.

Enrich his cage environment with perches so that he can jump and regain skills.

Definitely keep your dog and Bubsy apart, that is critical!

It is good that he is afraid of the raccoons, they will happily rip Bubsy's head off..... just for the fun of it! Make sure that cage is 100% raccoon proof, raccoon are very clever.

I think you have done a great job, now a little time is needed to see how his recovery goes. He may not ever be at 100% but hopefully he will recover enough that he can get back out there in time.

Also - to note...

Bubs is still living outside. He’s in a stainless steel cage that is 4ftx3ft. He’s located on our porch right in front of a window. He also has a wooden box - hanging about a foot from the top of the cage - where he naps and sleeps (found EGS home dimensions online).

I remove any remaining food out every night as to prevent the brazen raccoons from visiting. The cage is very secure, but the raccoons scare him :/

I’ve kept Bubsy outdoors in hopes to rerelease him one day. But, his head tilt is still consistently present. I just want him to be happy.

Any recommendations on cage, living outdoors vs indoors... maybe it’s too soon to determine??

(BTW - I do have a 5lb dog that has spent the last 4 weeks staring at Bubs, LOL. Sometimes they stare at each other through the window)

-Grateful Dead

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bubsy (05-04-2019), Mel1959 (05-04-2019)

Sounds like a great plan! Thank you!!

My little pup just looks at Bubs through the window.

Cage is solid and cage doors are triple locked at night. A top lock, a hatch on the side, plus a carabiner for extra safety. It’s a lot but I don’t trust those raccoons.

His house has a small entrance hole, too. He’s protected and snug as a bug

Bubs doesn’t spend a lot of time on his perches *yet* ... he is most active when he runs around the bottom of his cage. He also chews on wooden blocks, etc.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bubsy from:

TubeDriver (05-04-2019)

If you continue to see a decline while off the prednisone then you might want to begin it again. I had a released squirrel take a fall and have head trauma. She had a head tilt and wobbled. The vet prescribed prednisone, but also gave a shot of dexamethasone and hypertonic saline. At the end of the daily dosing I was told by the vet that if I was seeing improvement to continue the daily dosing instead of beginning the weaning off process, so I did. She ended up being dosed daily for at least 3 weeks and then I tapered off over the course of about two more weeks. She made a complete recovery.

After her fall I brought her into the house and began handling her again because i didn’t want her to become wild if she was going to be non releasable. She initially took her fall around the beginning of August 2017. I kept her inside until April of the following year. She still lives in a nest box in our side yard and has had two litters of babies.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Bubsy (05-05-2019), TubeDriver (05-04-2019)

Mel1959 this is an incredible story!! It’s amazing that she made a full recovery. What a blessing to watch two litters as well!! How absolutely beautiful ❤️❤️❤️

I am definitely continuing to see a decline in Bubsy. No question about it.

It’s heartbreaking to watch him climb down the side of his cage and flip off backwards or sideways, trying to straighten himself.

His head is tilted and he even falls when he’s grooming himself.

He always greets me when I visit his cage and I can tell he doesn’t like it when I have to leave. He hops on the side of the cage and watches me go. He’s such a sweetheart.

Bubsy also seems to really enjoy head scratches - sometimes he’ll press his head against the cage bars to get an even closer scratch. It’s so endearing! It’s like when he was a baby before his release.

TubeDriver - what do you think about continuing the prednisone - daily - again? 1/2 dose or full? OR should I wait a bit longer?

Thank you again!!

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bubsy from:

Mel1959 (05-05-2019)

Nancy in New York has had great results with combining Gabapentin along with the prednisone. Just a suggestion if you can get or have Gabapentin. If not, I have a 100mg capsule I can send you.

I will refer back to Tubedriver since he originally helped you, for his input.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bubsy (05-05-2019)

Mel1959 Thank you!
    I actually have a few 100mg capsules of Gabapentin!! I take it - it works well for nerve related stuff. I’ll see what TubeDriver suggest and go from there 🙏🏻🤞🏻

Mels suggestion is a good one. The one question is whether to go directly into trying the Gabapentin (or Gabapentin/pred combo) immediately, or wait a bit before trying it?

The advantage to starting ASAP is continuity of care for nerve/trauma issues. The disadvantage is not having a real baseline, I would like to see how his level of impairment/overall functioning is after this last trial (two separate pred trials so far)? Without a current baseline, we really don't know how he truly is?

If he seems stable or slightly improved, I might hold off. If he suffers a setback off the pred, I would definitely consider starting GP and or pred again. No right or wrong here, just two options to consider.

Mel1959 Thank you!
    I actually have a few 100mg capsules of Gabapentin!! I take it - it works well for nerve related stuff. I’ll see what TubeDriver suggest and go from there 🙏🏻🤞🏻

-Grateful Dead

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bubsy (05-05-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast