Thread: BABY SQUIRREL PEEING BLOOD!!!!

Angry BABY SQUIRREL PEEING BLOOD!!!!

someone help me please!!!!!! so over a week ago the city cut down a tree destroying the home of some squirrels. one of the workers found the nest with no mom in site. long story short, me being a complete animal lover I ended up with baby squirrels. I'm guessing now they are 4 almost 5 weeks. so I just got done with a feeding and i was helping one go to the bathroom and she had blood in her urine. I have been giving them esbilac and have not changed anything.. I'm freaking out because no vets will look at squirrels here because they are illegal, she's not showing any other symptoms at all. no inhaling the formula or acting any differently. they've been growing so fast and doing very good, I'm just not sure what to do!! https://imgur.com/gallery/SjYUXoE

Default Re: BABY SQUIRREL PEEING BLOOD!!!!

You’ve had this baby for a week? There’s been no trauma since the initial intake? It could be she had a bruised kidney or something similar. How old are they now?

I’m sure others will be on to assist shortly. In the meantime offer some water with a little cranberry juice mixed in, in between feedings. And continue to monitor to see if she continues to pass blood.

EditM I see you say they are 4-5 weeks. Eyes are closed or open?

It is very unusual to see blood like that unless there has been some trauma, like Mel said. Can you give us an idea of where you live. A lot of times we can find a vet if needed.

I have had babies pee blood on intake after trauma. It has always resolved for the positive. The only other thing is there was trauma before you got him, a blood clot formed and released later. Let us know if this does not resolve in a day or if the blood gets darker colored. Also if there is any issue with inability to urinate.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (04-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You’ve had this baby for a week? There’s been no trauma since the initial intake? It could be she had a bruised kidney or something similar. How old are they now?

I’m sure others will be on to assist shortly. In the meantime offer some water with a little cranberry juice mixed in, in between feedings. And continue to monitor to see if she continues to pass blood.

EditM I see you say they are 4-5 weeks. Eyes are closed or open?
    no trauma since I got them! I've been very careful with them, I think they are 4-5 weeks. eyes are not open yet! how much cranberry juice should I do? it's safe for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    It is very unusual to see blood like that unless there has been some trauma, like Mel said. Can you give us an idea of where you live. A lot of times we can find a vet if needed.

I have had babies pee blood on intake after trauma. It has always resolved for the positive. The only other thing is there was trauma before you got him, a blood clot formed and released later. Let us know if this does not resolve in a day or if the blood gets darker colored. Also if there is any issue with inability to urinate.
    yeah it could've been trauma since they fell all the way down from the tree that was cut down..they were in a nest though but I'm just not sure. I'm getting ready to do a feeding now and praying there is no blood..if there isn't do I just let it go? Im still worried

Quote Originally Posted by slimshayd View Post
    no trauma since I got them! I've been very careful with them, I think they are 4-5 weeks. eyes are not open yet! how much cranberry juice should I do? it's safe for sure?
    There is nothing harmful in giving a little cranberry juice diluted in water. In 2ml of water add 1ml of cranberry juice. She may not take much of it but it is good for bladder/urinary issues.

There is nothing harmful in giving a little cranberry juice diluted in water. In 2ml of water add 1ml of cranberry juice. She may not take much of it but it is good for bladder/urinary issues.
    awesome thank you! she wasn't bleeding anymore after this morning so I'm hoping she will be okay, I still might try a bit of the cranberry juice is that okay to do?

I’m glad to hear there was no more blood. Yes she can have some.

We had a baby come in that was dog bit and he peed bright red blood. Scared the heck out of me. He made it with no problems. Very scary tho.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (04-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    We had a baby come in that was dog bit and he peed bright red blood. Scared the heck out of me. He made it with no problems. Very scary tho.
    I'm glad he made it!! that's scary

I’m glad to hear there was no more blood. Yes she can have some.
    thank you!