Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloating + Diarrhea 4-5 week old

Unhappy Bloating + Diarrhea 4-5 week old

My little guy Langley has been suffering from bloating & constipation for a couple days.. prior to today!
    He was not pooping regularly & had a bloated tummy so I began giving him some infant gas x drops which helped with some of the gas but I was weary of giving him too much. He still wasn’t pooping so I started feeding plain water between feedings. This still didn’t help so I added in some apple juice..
    I’m thinking that’s when the problems started.
    He was pooping every once in awhile during the above steps, but I could tell he was still backed up.

After a couple feedings of water and apple juice yesterday he made a couple nice poops which were very light in color.. then this morning the diarrhea started. It’s light yellow and very watery.

I’m wondering if the apple juice is the cause? I have not given him any today & don’t plan to again.

Also of note: I began transitioning him to FV 20/50 yesterday. Mixing in a small amount with his normal esbilac puppy replacer powder. Could this be to blame as well? I’ve been very gradual with it & I was hoping it would help with some of his digestive issues altogether.
    He’s around 4-5 weeks old & without all the bloat he weighs around 47 grams. I’ve had him since he was a few days old.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Default Re: Bloating + Diarrhea 4-5 week old

I’ve been feeding him about 2.5 cc every 3 hours.

Standard treatment for bloat is to stop ALL formula.. and do small hourly feedings of water, tummy massages, and stimulate to pee and poop.
    Putting his bottom in warm water while stimulating can help.
    Also infant GasX can help.

The idea is to let water break up the crud blocking his intestines, so it can move through.
    After a while you will see some diarrhea, but you want to still continue just water feedings.

There is a step by step process of how to move back to formula.. which some more experienced rehabbers can post, but you can stop the formula and start the water now.

One thing that can start bloat at this age is dehydration because of over heating. As they grow fur the amount of heat they used to get may be too much. Check his body temperature and if his paws and bedding feel moist (sweating). Also if he is spreading out tummy down in his bedding it means he feels too hot and is assuming a 'heat dumping' pose (like a hot squirrel does on pavement). But that pose may actually increase how much heat he is getting. A squirrel that does not feel too hot will normally lay on their side, or back. We put the heating pad under half the tub so they can move off it... but sometimes they will not (out of fear, or just because they are trying to 'ride out the heat wave'). In that case we need to add more materials between the pad and tub to reduce the heat.

Thank you for the quick reply.
    I never thought about overheating. I will test that out and see if lowering it a bit may help. I have seen him do the “heat dumping” pose!

I’ll stop the formula and feed only water every hour. I hate seeing him hungry but I hope that helps.. Also, since he had some pretty bad diarrhea this is still the recommended protocol?

Our primary concern is the bloat.
    Diarrhea can cause dehydration, but since you are only giving him water he should be fine.

Here is a copy/paste of a posting by Spanky about treating bloat:
    Here is a protocol developed by Duckman, one of our most dedicated, knowledgeable and greatly respected members. I have edited this a bit from his original post for readability but will include the link below to the original thread that contains the post.

The trick seems to be getting in as much water, as quickly as possible, once you see and feel the hardness in the belly. Not sugar water or Pedialyte, but plain water.

Do this every hour and ensure you stimulate after each, for 2 reasons:
    1. You have to get that water out of the bladder, and it will burst if you don't.
    2. You want that water to start working on the crud in the belly.

After 8-10 hours, you should start seeing some movement out of the bowel (they will continue to poop, but you will start to see it more watery, which is what you want). At that time, start introducing diluted formula at the ratio of 25% Esbilac, 75% water. Feed this for the first half day.

The second half day, bump up the ration to 50% Esbilac, 50% water 50/50.

Third day move to 75% Esbilac, 25% water.
    Fourth day go to full strength formula; the blockage should be gone!

So far, Duckman has had tremendous success with this protocol and others that have followed are getting great results as well. One note of caution: Check my pinkies after every feeding, so see if their bellies are hard or squishy. It is suggested everyone get in the habit of checking them after every feeding as habit and you can't go wrong in catching them before they bloat up. Once they take on that angry red color on their bellies (this is when their system goes septic), they are gone and can't be saved, so the trick is to catch them before this happens (hence, getting in the habit to see if their tummies are hard or not).
    You can, of course, speed up this process if you see significant shrinkage of the tummy and it gets soft like a water balloon.
    This protocol is for a baby that is not pooping at all, and you are getting some diarrhea out right now.
    The main things to look for are appetite and tummy size/hardness.
    A healthy baby will be starving at each feeding, and the tummy should go from full to about half full by the next feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nctova View Post

Also of note: I began transitioning him to FV 20/50 yesterday. Mixing in a small amount with his normal esbilac puppy replacer powder. Could this be to blame as well? I’ve been very gradual with it & I was hoping it would help with some of his digestive issues altogether.
    He’s around 4-5 weeks old & without all the bloat he weighs around 47 grams. I’ve had him since he was a few days old.

Thank you
    Just double checking, as some people get the formula's confused.
    The formula you're using is the Esbilac and NOT the Pet Lac, correct?

His diarrhea has stopped. Still no poop. Acting very hungry but still full bloated tummy so I’m only giving him water.. but, now he isn’t peeing!

Yes I have been feeding him the proper esbilac with whey.. transitioning to FV 20/50.

Please help! I’m worried!!
    He’s squeaking a lot.. possibly in pain from not being able to use the bathroom?

I have given him soaks & rubs.. nothing.

It’s odd that he hasn’t peed in several water feedings.. he usually pees every time.

Name:  636C45D4-E6E9-484D-B335-4636596F0278.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  77.9 KB

Is he squeaking when he is not being handled? Or just when handled, like "stop messing with me!"?

Before, he was peeing once per 4 hours when stimulated, but you are stimulating him hourly.
    So it may just be that the water is in the intestines (where we want it) and not moving to the bladder as fast.

Don't overdo the water... stop at less than 1/4th the amount you have been feeding him.
    We want to replace the amount of formula he is normally getting with water... but not overfill him.

I have also noticed that while doing this treatment they will stop peeing for a bit.

You could try using a finger dipped in warm water to 'prime the pump' and get him to pee.

Acting hungry is a very good sign. It means he has not moved into the 'nausea' phase of bloat, and it makes it easier to get some fluids into him.

I can hear him squeaking in his blanky. Almost like little cherps..

It’s pretty frequent too.

I’m scared to keep giving him water because he’s not peeing & his belly is getting so big. But I will just try to relax and wait another hour.. ugh I’m so worried! I’ve heard about the bladder bursting in some cases & that sounds awful!!

It is comforting to hear that maybe the water is going to the right place though. & yes, he is definitely hungry.. he’s suckling on his fingers!

If you are concerned about the water, cut back on how much you are giving him.
    The 'chirping' might be him calling for food. They make a sound like a bird chirping to call their mama.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Nctova (04-06-2019)

If you can, a profile picture to see how much his tummy is sticking out, a closer picture to see the color, and a closeup of his butt to check the shape around it.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

island rehabber (04-06-2019)

Name:  EDAC6D7D-1213-49B6-B2A5-425D967D0C59.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  61A2D22E-18A5-4734-92E6-4F02310F6F09.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  1BF36A76-B1BB-4F94-BEFF-884A18019E04.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  74.9 KB

Praise the lord he just peed. Still no poop though.

Would you say his belly looks uniformly pink, or is there any red or purple?
    When you feel his tummy, do you feel any hard spots or lumps?
    If you feel anything like that, try soft massage on those spots.

He is strong, and acting hungry... which are very good things.
    Babies with bad bloat normally refuse to eat or drink..and shove the syringe away while fussing.
    Having an appetite means he is not close to a critical bloat stage.
    And if he was peeing a few hours ago.. He will probably pee if he needs to.

While stimulating his anus... see if it opens up like he is trying to poop.
    Also try downward strokes with a wet finger on each side of the penis towards the anus.
    I have had some at this stage where I could see dry poop in the anus, and flicking his anus with my fingernail helped them pop it out.

There is some purple. Along his left side..

What is that?

When it comes to having him poop, it usually happens when he pees. While I’m stimulating his pee pee. Because when I try to stimulate his anus, he tightens up..
    right now he is so squirmy because he’s hungry it’s hard to keep him still enough to do much stimulating at all.
    I’m giving him a rest after he peed & will give a little warm soak here soon before the next hours water.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast