Thread: Mixing Formula and Ultraboost

Default Mixing Formula and Ultraboost

A member recommended I add some Ultraboost for the little one whose struggling . I know it’s best to mix formula in warm water and give it time ( hours) to dissolve. Can I add ultraboost powder to formula that’s already made and well dissolved, to speed up the opportunity to get some into him ASAP?

Default Re: Mixing Formula and Ultraboost

The Ultraboost is to add extra fat to the diet so I am wondering about this... I had asked about Dia-Stat in your other thread (another Fox Valley product) because this is what I use in situations of severe dehydration where I am also wanting to give them some energy / calories.

Edit: I just want to add that this is where things get confusing and conflicting, the Ultraboost recommendation must have came behind the scenes or off board? I do not see that recommendation int the other thread... this is why trying to keep info in one thread and on the open board helps those that are trying to help you.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Snicker Bar (04-02-2019)

To answer your question directly, I have never mixed it this way but I would think mixing the Ultraboost separately then adding to the exiting formula (25% Ultraboost and 75% formula) would be okay.. be sure to mix up the Ultraboost very well before combining with the exiting formula.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Snicker Bar (04-02-2019), stepnstone (03-27-2019)

I have used Ultraboost and I just added a bit to my formula powder and prepared as usual. Not very scientific but I had no issues.

If this little one is the sickly little, malnourished/dehydrated baby you just got, I would probably make sure he is taking regular strength formula fine with no issues for at least 24 hours with poops and pees before hitting him with a real high fat mixture. I would be afraid to overload his GI system too fast and end up with bloat or difficulty with digesting the richer formula. Or at least start with 90% formula and 10% ultraboost and work your way up if he has no issues?

Interestingly enough, this study found that grey squirrel milk contains 9.0 percent protein, 12.1 percent fat, 3.0 percent lactose, 1.3 percent ash, 0.36 percent calcium, and 0.45 percent phosphorus:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...RREL_MILK_1_-2

Esbilac Puppy formula is:

Crude Protein, min ………………………………....……..... 33.0%
    Crude Fat, min………………………....………………..…... 40.0%
    Crude Fiber, max………………………...………………........ 0.0%
    Moisture, max…………………………………………...…..… 5.0%

So in a sense, Esbilac is already an "Ultraboost" compared to a squirrel mom's natural milk.

But I don't have any experience with malnourished babies like yours so take this info with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-26-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (04-02-2019)

So sorry just saw this; last week was a whirlwind. But “Jude “ as he is now called is doing wonderful! He’s taking Esbilac and ultraboost according to the mixing directions . I tried to follow all the suggestions here , and at some point ( not sure where it came up ) ultraboost was mentioned ; but only after he was well hydrated by multiple doses /couple days of sub q fluids . I’m sorry if I made things confusing But thanks to helpers here he’s alive and doing well today

When I place my next order with Henry’s I’ll definitely get some of the Diastat to have on hand . Never used it, but still learning here and it sounds like it would be good to have on hand

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Nancy in New York (04-02-2019)

Just verifying, since he is taking the formula good now, should I discontinue the ultraboost then?
    And maybe I’m doing it wrong? Now that he’s stable, I was taking 3 scoops Esbilac ( powder) and 1 scoop Ultraboost (powder), then mixing with 8 scoops of warm /hot water and mixing well. I hope this is right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Just verifying, since he is taking the formula good now, should I discontinue the ultraboost then?
    And maybe I’m doing it wrong? Now that he’s stable, I was taking 3 scoops Esbilac ( powder) and 1 scoop Ultraboost (powder), then mixing with 8 scoops of warm /hot water and mixing well. I hope this is right ?
    That's perfect!
    If you think he could use a few more calories, then I would continue the ultraboost,
    it's not going to hurt him.
    Many people go with just the Fox Valley 20/50 at this age. It's got a higher fat content,
    and if you go that way, I would nix the ultra boost.
    It's totally up to you. If you both are happy with how it's going, why change anything, right?
    You did an amazing job with this little one......and I think we need more pictures.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (04-02-2019), Snicker Bar (04-02-2019)