Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our New Grey Squirrel

Default Re: Our New Grey Squirrel

It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. Tita Marie has her freedom and she still has YOU.
    You get to enjoy her. Mel’s girl had her babies in the garage and relocated them. You might get lucky like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaOrlando View Post
    Update: Tita likes her freedom now and spends her days mostly outside. When it gets dark she comes in her entry hole and goes to sleep in her nest. The problem we now have is 2 of Tita's new friends have found their way into our screened-in porch and are eating Tita's rodent block. We've chased them out several times but they keep coming back.
    we've purposely cut a small exit hole in the screen and run a little wooden squirrel ramp to a large tree about 18 inches away.
    My mind questioned this when I first read it, if it's still up it's an invitation.
    I would think by now Tita knows where her "hole" is, I'd remove the ramp.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I'm curious reading this story and something that keeps popping out. You say a squirrel will choose one person. Now this is the first time I'm raising and soft releasing my squirrel with other people wanting to get involved. Before it has always just been me and the squirrels I'm raising except for when I was a kid and I don't remember them preferring one person, they seemed to know our family but be more wary of strangers. Do they always pick the person who fed and raised them or do they sometimes latch onto another family member who only plays with them but does not feed them?

Hey Mel1959..... Tita seems to be well acclimated to going in and out now. She hangs with us in the morning and evening. In between time she's running around outside with her new squirrel friends who occasionally come to visit. When I came down the stairs this morning Tita was in the kitchen with my wife and one of our cats. She comes in the cat door and just strolls thru the house and into the kitchen!! Crazy squirrel. I must say... she's much calmer and even friendlier now that she knows she can come and go whenever she wants thru her exit hole in the screened-in porch.
    We need an update

Some squirrels are the exception but the majority of squirrels in captivity pick their person.
    They may "tolerate" others... on their terms. The relationship is not the same.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

McCarthy (03-14-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12