Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP HELP HELP

Default HELP HELP HELP

I found a baby flying squirrel in my house that had been abandoned by its mother. Found it 2 weeks ago, unsure of exact age. I have been doing as much research as possible to make sure this baby survives and to my knowledge everything was going according to plan until recently I started noticing a clicking noise and after reading some of the posts in this forum I’m now terrified that he has aspiration pneumonia. He still has a big appetite though so I’m unsure. As far as lethargy is concerned, I feel he is always sleepy after he eats but always energetic when hungry. I just can’t tell if the clicking noise is from his breathing or if it’s from his mouth. It doesn’t seem to be constant which makes me think it’s just him smacking his lips. Please if someone could help me determine if he is in danger or not it would be a god send. I can provide videos if needed

Default Re: HELP HELP HELP

Go ahead and post a video so we can lay some eyes on him. In the meantime find an antibiotic just in case. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Go ahead and post a video so we can lay some eyes on him. In the meantime find an antibiotic just in case. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
    I do not have any on hand. What type of antibiotic do I need? And what’s the quickest way to obtain it?

I tried uploading a video but it didn’t work for some reason. Do they make a clicking noise for any other reason? He does not always do it. When he’s sleeping in his bed there is no clicking so I was thinking maybe it just had to do with being cold

Ciprofloxacin or Baytril are commonly used for aspiration pneumonia. Other antibiotics can be used also. Let us know what you can find and we can tell you if you can use it. All you need is a single pill. A human or veterinary antibiotic will work. Ask friends and family if you don’t have any. We can give you instructions for dosing. We would need the weight of the baby (grams) and the milligrams (mg) of the antibiotic.

In regard to the flying squirrel, a video would certainly help but it would be unusual for a baby with aspiration pneumonia to be energetic. With aspiration pneumonia you would expect them to be lethargic and the appetite would decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by Baewowo View Post
    I tried uploading a video but it didn’t work for some reason. Do they make a clicking noise for any other reason? He does not always do it. When he’s sleeping in his bed there is no clicking so I was thinking maybe it just had to do with being cold
    Yes, flying squirrels can make little mouth sounds that sound like somewhat like clicking. They also have a communication that you can’t hear but it feels like they are vibrating. With aspiration pneumonia the clicking would be constant, even when they sleep.

A baby flying squirrel should have a heating pad under half of the bin. It should be on low. They are very tiny and can lose heat quickly. Don’t let the baby get cold.

JennaMarie, please come back and start a new thread in the emergency section. We can help you.
    Start looking for antibiotics now. Aspiration pneumonia is urgent. If you can’t find antibiotics we might be able to direct you to a vet depending on where you are.

I tried uploading a video but it didn’t work for some reason.
    Upload to YouTube, then post a link. This is usually the best way to make sure people here can see a video quickly.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

Is there a secret to uploading videos on this site? I’ve tried countless times and it doesn’t upload. Does it have to be done from a pc? And is there a max length?

I posted 2 videos one where he is making the clicking noise and one where he isn’t.

OK, I don’t know what to make of the clicking video and then the non-clicking video.
    What I will say is that the first video DOES sound like pneumonia. Out of an abundance of caution I would treat this baby. Please get this baby on a heating pad and put some fleece around it to snuggle in. A baby this tiny doesn’t have reserves and can’t regulate the body temperature so it must have supplemental heat provided. Heating pad on LOW under half of the bin. A plastic bin like a Sterilite bin is the best.

Try to find an antibiotic. Ask friends and family.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (04-03-2019), stepnstone (04-02-2019)

The 2nd one is fine. I've never heard aspiration pneumonia click that fast, but maybe Flyers are different than Gray's.

Your flyer needs a friend, can you find anyone that is rehabbing them? Is he always so frantic?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

I do have it in a bin with blanket and heating pad. Not in the video though. The only antibiotic I can get ahold of is amoxicillin. How do I get Baytril?

I do have it in a bin with blanket and heating pad. Not in the video though. The only antibiotic I can get ahold of is amoxicillin. How do I get Baytril?
    Baytril is Rx, the human form is Cipro.
    Many woman use Cipro and may keep it on hand.
    I would check around to family and friends, you would
    only need one pill.
    Baytril is animal form, Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is the human form.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Can someone send me a picture of the baytril I would need, I’ve been searching online and there’s a few types that come up.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

https://youtu.be/jI69vuzYIX4

This is a current video of him after a pedialyte feeding, I may have come across some ciro, but I have macrobid so I’m curious if that works also he is 17g how do you prepare the solution with the pills and how much?

https://youtu.be/jI69vuzYIX4

This is a current video of him after a pedialyte feeding, I may have come across some ciro, but I have macrobid so I’m curious if that works also he is 17g how do you prepare the solution with the pills and how much?

I believe Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) is used exclusively for UTI's and will not be effective for AP, please double check about the Cipro as that is the ideal medication for AP. There is no reference in WMB for
    nitrofurantoin at all and Plumb's Vet Drug handbook only speaks of using it for UTI in cats, dogs and horses... not a word about use in rodents (so I am not even certain it is safe for rodents?).

Can you weigh him again to confirm that weight... in the first couple videos he does look that tiny, but in the third (the once that includes a hand for some reference of size) he looks heavier than that. But all hands are different!

No, you definitely can NOT use Macrobid (nitrofurantoin). As Spanky said, it is exclusive an antibiotic for UTI.

I’m really confused. He is very active in the video. A baby with aspiration pneumonia is never that active. They are lethargic and anything but energetic. This baby doesn’t look lethargic at all. To be honest I’m not 100% certain this is AP.
    A question... why are you using Pedialyte? You mentioned having him 2 weeks. What formula are you using?

Until we get this figured out I would still try to get Ciprofloxacin or Baytril to have in hand in case it’s needed. When they go down it’s often too late to be searching for antibiotics.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (04-03-2019), Spanky (04-03-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast