Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male squirrel constantly soaked in urine

Default Male squirrel constantly soaked in urine

My kids came home to find 3 babies that had fallen out of a tree after a storm. Momma didn’t come back so I assumed the role they were maybe a week and now they are around 9 weeks. They are great except for Larry who is always saturated in his urine. I’ve read other feeds and realized that it started when they moved into the larger cage but it’s been about 3 weeks and he is still doing it. He seems very comfortable with me and in or out of the cage. I’ve tested his urine with test strips and it showed an 8 ph level but I don’t know if that means infection. Most of what I read was about changing diet. The only vet that will check him in my area wants 85 for the visit alone so I haven’t rushed in yet. Does anyone have experience with this situation that can shed some light please. We will be moving their cage outside in a few weeks and I can’t do it unless they are healthy and happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kfox from:

Diggie's Friend (04-02-2019)

Default Re: Male squirrel constantly soaked in urine

From the excessive urination and high urine pH reading, my bet would be he has a UTI.

Besides formula, have you introduced any whole foods; and if so what out of them does he consistently eat?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Spanky (04-02-2019)

I started with squirrel blocks hi-protein and regular blocks and did Romain lettuce they didn’t like the lettuce went to broccoli so-so then cantaloupe sometimes in evenings they love it and I grow it in my yard so they will have access when released. Carrots occasionally and latest is zucchini they like. Formula 5:30am-11:30-5:30pm-10-30 about 20 to 30ml each. I’ve researched and was afraid it may be a uti that’s why I got the test strips but they didn’t come with positive for uti 🤪 Baytril was talked about a lot is that something I can order somewhere?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kfox from:

Diggie's Friend (04-04-2019)

Kfox, did the siblings suckle this little boy when they were young? Sometimes babies will suckle genitals when they are searching for nipples. They can get significant damage if the urethra gets blocked or narrowed.

Sometimes baby squirrels will be ‘bed wetters’ and will soak themselves as babies. That is not the case with squirrels this size. That’s pretty unusual so treating with antibiotics would definitely be in order. Try to find an antibiotic. Ask friends and family. A single pill is sufficient.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (04-04-2019), island rehabber (04-03-2019)

By the way, 9 weeks is pretty young. I have them in a starter cage at that age. I don’t like them climbing too high until their climbing skills are perfected. If they were with mom they would still be in the nest.

What type of nest, cube, house or bed do they have to sleep in?

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (04-04-2019), island rehabber (04-03-2019), Nancy in New York (04-03-2019)

Years ago I had a little boy with the same problem -- same age. My God was he stinky. Turns out he was, er, doing himself a lot. He had terrible urine scald from it so I treated with silvadene cream -- silver sulfadiazine. The cream healed his skin but also turned him off the act that was irritating him. If you have access to Silvadene cream -- it's used for burns in people but great for animals as well -- get some.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

BuckysMommy (03-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Years ago I had a little boy with the same problem -- same age. My God was he stinky. Turns out he was, er, doing himself a lot. He had terrible urine scald from it so I treated with silvadene cream -- silver sulfadiazine. The cream healed his skin but also turned him off the act that was irritating him. If you have access to Silvadene cream -- it's used for burns in people but great for animals as well -- get some.
    The only source I have found without a prescription for this is here: https://www.mountainside-medical.com...r+sulfadiazine

I and many others here have purchased from them.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (04-03-2019), Kfox (04-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The only source I have found without a prescription for this is here: https://www.mountainside-medical.com...r+sulfadiazine

I and many others here have purchased from them.
    Thanks, CritterMom -- just got some for myself because mine was about 10 yrs old
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Kfox, did the siblings suckle this little boy when they were young? Sometimes babies will suckle genitals when they are searching for nipples. They can get significant damage if the urethra gets blocked or narrowed.

Sometimes baby squirrels will be ‘bed wetters’ and will soak themselves as babies. That is not the case with squirrels this size. That’s pretty unusual so treating with antibiotics would definitely be in order. Try to find an antibiotic. Ask friends and family. A single pill is sufficient.
    Strange to say he suckles himself. I thought the two boys were doing it to each other but I have come up to seperate them and found only Larry in the hammock. It can be right after I feed him or at random so I don't think its a feeding issue? When I find a pill I'll be back for instructions if you don't mind. =)

By the way, 9 weeks is pretty young. I have them in a starter cage at that age. I don’t like them climbing too high until their climbing skills are perfected. If they were with mom they would still be in the nest.

What type of nest, cube, house or bed do they have to sleep in?
    They are in a very large cage with hammocks, a hanging next box that my little girl loves to fill with toilet paper, and tree limbs to climb. I have a large dog carrier at the bottom I keep them in with a hammock and toys during the day while i'm a work. Should I keep them in the carrier at night too? They started in a tupperware and traveled everywhere with me. =)
    While I have you my son is on spring break and has taken the lunch feeding schedule this week one of my babies bit him today during feeding. They have also bit my husband and daughter not vicious or anything just enough to slightly break the skin. With that said they have never bit me is this normal to become accustomed to me and sketchy of others that aren't around as much?

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    OMgoodness STINKY!!! They are in our room too b/c we have two rescue cats. I clean both cages twice a day! My husband is an animal lover too and keeps bringing them home but the stench on Larry is taking its toll and I'm unable to bathe him in the last week b/c he all the sudden doesn't like it and scratches my arms to climb up and not get wet. They all three used to love baths. As for the burn cream if he doesn't have a rash should I still use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfox View Post
    With that said they have never bit me is this normal to become accustomed to me and sketchy of others that aren't around as much?
    Yes, this is the case almost always...

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (04-04-2019)

When I find a pill I'll be back for instructions if you don't mind. =)

I believe Baytril was mentioned which is an animal medication. The human form is Cipro (ciprofloxacin). Baytril or Cipro would be great, but if you find other antibiotics but not these, post what you found and someone will advise if it will be effective for your boy.

Yes, definitely come back for instructions!

Strange to say he suckles himself. I thought the two boys were doing it to each other but I have come up to seperate them and found only Larry in the hammock. It can be right after I feed him or at random so I don't think its a feeding issue? When I find a pill I'll be back for instructions if you don't mind. =)
    Have you tried putting something on him to deter him from suckling himself? I know there are nasty tasting products that deter chewing. If you try that, don’t put it on the business end. If you use something that burns he will really go after it then. He’s a little big for this but some make Togas for babies that suckle themselves.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

AnaMM (09-23-2020)

Have you tried putting something on him to deter him from suckling himself? I know there are nasty tasting products that deter chewing. If you try that, don’t put it on the business end. If you use something that burns he will really go after it then. He’s a little big for this but some make Togas for babies that suckle themselves.
    I am gonna say no to this HRT - I bought and used the "YUK!" stuff on Mister P last year - he had a tiny little sore on one of his ankles and was licking it. The stuff did nothing at all to stop the licking but it did burn all the hair off his leg! It didn't seem to hurt the skin but still - I don't like this stuff.

Island Rehabber was saying that the silvadene must have tasted bad because her baby quit messing with himself when she applied it for his urine scald. I would have NO problem using it on him without a rash present - it will protect him from developing one and hopefully, taste nasty too.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

BuckysMommy (03-05-2020)

Thanks CritterMom. There is no teacher like experience. Been there, done that, won’t do that again.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

BuckysMommy (03-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

I believe Baytril was mentioned which is an animal medication. The human form is Cipro (ciprofloxacin). Baytril or Cipro would be great, but if you find other antibiotics but not these, post what you found and someone will advise if it will be effective for your boy.

Yes, definitely come back for instructions!
    I currently have liquid amoxicillin 250/5ml my daughter was on for a tooth infection and Amex/Clav susp. 600mg/5ml my dog was on for a tooth infection would either of these work? If not my mom can call in Bactril if that would be better

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I am gonna say no to this HRT - I bought and used the "YUK!" stuff on Mister P last year - he had a tiny little sore on one of his ankles and was licking it. The stuff did nothing at all to stop the licking but it did burn all the hair off his leg! It didn't seem to hurt the skin but still - I don't like this stuff.

Island Rehabber was saying that the silvadene must have tasted bad because her baby quit messing with himself when she applied it for his urine scald. I would have NO problem using it on him without a rash present - it will protect him from developing one and hopefully, taste nasty too.
    I came home today and noticed the right leg towards the inside is red and irritated went back to work and ordered the small tube of the cream. I must say I’m so glad I found this site it really helps to hear other experiences that relate and everyone is so helpful. Thank you all for the support!

How old is the Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid suspension? When was it reconstituted? The Amox/Clavulanic acid is good for 10 days when it is reconstituted and refrigerated. It would be the better choice for a UTI.

We need a weight or an approximate weight to dose it.

How old is the Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid suspension? When was it reconstituted? The Amox/Clavulanic acid is good for 10 days when it is reconstituted and refrigerated. It would be the better choice for a UTI.

We need a weight or an approximate weight to dose it.
    It was filled on 3/22 and Larry is almost 1 pound I only had a bathroom scale but he moved it pretty close to one. Does this mean I will not be able to use the Amex/clav bc it’s out of date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast