Thread: Refuse rodent block

Default Refuse rodent block

Hi, my baby is currently 6 weeks old. I tried feeding it rodent blocks but to not avail. however it’s is starting to bite my fingers i believe because of teething but she refuses the blocks. she does however like apples and bananas. currently still on formula though.

Default Re: Refuse rodent block

You can use sticks for teething (other than pine).
    Check the posts in the Squirrel Nutrition forum.
    Try cutting the blocks into smaller pieces they can hold in their hands.
    You normally want to start out with things like greens (broccoli, arugula, etc)
    Fruits are too much like a treat, and too much can lead to diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by Babychai View Post
    Hi, my baby is currently 6 weeks old. I tried feeding it rodent blocks but to not avail. however it’s is starting to bite my fingers i believe because of teething but she refuses the blocks. she does however like apples and bananas. currently still on formula though.
    What brand of block are you feeding?

I'd stop stop feeding any solids other than block. And no other solids until they are eating their blocks well... if you do not follow this advice, more problems will be created that are extremely difficult to deal with down the road. And if the diet is wrong down the road, it can be fatal... and the squirrel will suffer.

It will already be more difficult because since the golden rule of "block and only block" as the first solid food has been broken. Keep the blocks in with him.. they usually start by chewing them up but not eating them but eventually start eating them.

I am feeding mazuri. I managed to get it to chew on the block once, but she only eats it when i hold it for her. Tried again subsequently but it didn’t work. She doesn’t seem to be interested in the block. She doesn’t rly like to be her cage so i let her out most of the time and she likes to be with me. I usually put the block in the cage but since she isn’t around the cage much how should i make her be familiar with it? also now that she has tried other solid food will she reject the blocks totally? i don’t want her to starve either if she starts rejecting formula and blocks

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Babychai from:

Diggie's Friend (04-02-2019)

I referred to this forum

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-and-Feeding)

as my squirrel is a plantain squirrel. Fruits seem to be its main diet and there was no blocks mentioned here. I’m not exactly which instructions to follow since plantains can be quite different from american squirrels and also there is very little information available on how to care for a plantain

Sorry, I forgot this is a plantain squirrel!