Thread: Baby Squirrel Split tongue!

Exclamation Baby Squirrel Split tongue!

Hello all,

My sweet baby boy Langley is about 4 weeks old. I’ve had him since he was a couple days old.. he fell out of a very tall tree & had a bruise on his head & upper back. (I will try to get photos soon but I want to get out what is going on with him..)
    he started growing his bottom teeth about 5 days ago. They have come in really fast, long & narrow (with a bit of spacing between them).
    I noticed the first day or so when his teeth came in that there was some blood & I read to chalk it up as “teething”. A few days later & im seeing more blood when I feed him. Tonight, he was eating & seemed to break through his tongue on the bottom.. almost like a slice.. I couldn’t see it very well but there was a good amount of blood.
    He is a very strong sucker when it comes to eating.. I use a long thin nipple. he sometimes goes into a “trance” & just sucks & moves his hands in repetitive motions like he’s not fully awake, but still sucking & I can’t get the nipple out..
    anyways, any advice or comfort here would be greatly appreciated. This little guy means so much to me & has been doing so well. (He weighs 45 grams)

PLEASE HELP!! I don’t know if this is something that has ever happened before but any advice on moving forward with feeding or anything would be so appreciated.. I don’t want to make the cut worse.
    Thanks

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Split tongue!

Toungue (and eye) injuries are the kind that heal the fastest, thank goodness. Hopefully your little guy will heal up fast. Is it possible that the nipple is too small or narrow for him and he is literally biting his toungue? Have you ever tried the Miracle nipples (henryspets.com or squirrelsandmore.com)? They are really awesome and so much more natural for the babies.
    All you can do, I believe, is keep an eye on his toungue to make sure there is no infection.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 04-01-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (04-02-2019)

Knowing that the injury will heal somewhat fast is comforting.. but moving forward with feeding is really worrying me. The cut is pretty deep, if not all the way through & split.

I will definitely order a miracle nipple (the small or original size??)
    Thank you!

Get one of each. They are well worth it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '