Thread: Squirrel with open wound

Default Squirrel with open wound

Hi again squirrel loving friends! I have posted on here before, about the same squirrel. I have a squirrel that’s been living in my yard for several years, a female eastern grey squirrel I call Bubba. About a week ago she had a small spot on her back that was missing some fur and had a small scab. I was not too alarmed because last year she had a bot fly and it looked similar to that. Today it looks like a big gaping wound, about the size of a nickel. ☹️ I’m wondering if anyone has any opinions on trying to treat this? I won’t be able to put anything on the wound physically, but we do have amoxysilon (spelling?). Here is a link for the picture I took: https://imgur.com/yFRjXkC . Please let me know your thoughts. If I should try to give antiobiotics, how much? This particular squirrel is very important to me. 🙏

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kimi from:

Vox (04-01-2019)

Default Re: Squirrel with open wound

I'll let someone else chime in with information on medication and dosing and how you can administer something that might help.

But I will let you know that botflies actually tend to go through their life cycle and actually shouldn't cause permanent harm to Bubba. It sounds like the larva has dropped out, or is about to, leaving the wound. Secondary issues could arise, but honestly your little Bubba should be okay given some time. I know that the huge hole in your little friend looks awful and it's painful on the surface, but she should be okay after a while. I've had this happen a number of times to my little backyard buddies and they usually manage to pull through given a little extra love and food and attention.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Vox from:

Kimi (04-01-2019)

Thank you kindly for the response! I gave her lots of almonds and walnuts today, I’ll put some fresh water out tomorrow too. I’m hoping it heals quickly. It does look painful, but she seems to be behaving normally otherwise. 🤞

Kimi, this shouldn’t be a bot fly at this time of year. Bot flies warbles are seen in the summer when it’s hot. We see them mostly in July and August in FL.

I’m sure this was probably a wound that possibly abscessed. It’s very round. You don’t suppose this was a BB wound do you? From the pic, it doesn’t look that bad. Maybe the pic isn’t showing the full picture. It looks like the center is scabbed. I wouldn’t treat this at this time. Amoxicillin would not be a good antibiotic for treating this.

Has it already drained? It looks like it has.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

redwuff (04-02-2019), stepnstone (04-02-2019)