Thread: heating formula

Default heating formula

Hi, is it true that we shouldn’t microwave the formula to heat it up?

Default Re: heating formula

A microwave does not change the molecular structure or kill nutrients in the formula. Like any method of reheating, it can result in hot spots that can scald a baby if not evenly mixed during reheating, and can kill beneficial nutrients if heated too much (scalded formula). If you have ever reheated a pizza or burger in a microwave.. you will have noticed that parts were hot, and yet some parts were still ice cold. This uneven heating is why doctors do not recommend heating (human) baby formula in a microwave. But this can also happen in a pan if you do not stir occasionally. With any method you want to do it slowly (not all at once) while occasionally stirring. I normally microwave for about 8 to 10 seconds, stir, and then step up in 4 or 5 second increments.

The one thing you NEVER want to do is reheat formula more than once (any method). Heating it causes a surge in bacteria, which will just grow even more when back in the fridge. Formula that is repeatedly reheated can result in a sick baby with brown feces or diarrhea. Always measure out what you need, throw away the unused portion, and never store more than a day's worth mixed in the fridge.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Babychai (04-02-2019)

Default Re: heating formula

I use the recommendation from Henry's, using a hot cup of water to warm the formula:

"Microwave a coffee mug of water until it is hot (but not boiling). Then dunk the filled syringes in the hot water. They will take around 30 to 60 seconds to heat up."

The manufacturer does warn not to boil the formula when heating on a stove is that will "destroy the proteins" in the formula. I'd have to think the probiotics would take a beating at very high temps too?

As Javarat points out microwaves heat unevenly, so that makes be nervous to heat formula in a microwave so I just do not do that FWIW.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Babychai (04-02-2019)