Thread: fur baby is chewing everything

Default fur baby is chewing everything

My little girl is out of her cage for almost all of the day. since she was a baby she never loved being in the cage, and was trained to keep away from things that were not food, for example the lamp that is in her area. since it started to get warmer, she decided not to nest anywhere near her cage (she usually sleeps on top of her cage in a box).
    The issue i am having with her is that she is chewing any type of wire in her room. I was in her area last week sitting on my laptop which was on charge, i left for the bathroom and when i came back the wire was chewed. This is extremely dangerous for her and getting expensive for me. there is barely any lighting in the room once the sun goes down so i try and keep a lamp in her room but she has chewed through two wires already. She is not just chewing wires but anything and everything, the wires are the most pressing. i frequently give her sticks from outside to file down her teeth and since she has started chewing everything i am bringing her a stick a day and leaving it in her cage. I dont know what else to do or if i am doing something wrong. She is almost 3 now and i never had this problem to this level with her before!

i also think it may be because of mating season but just want to be sure!

Default Re: fur baby is chewing everything

Quote Originally Posted by dylannetz View Post
    She is not just chewing wires but anything and everything, the wires are the most pressing. i frequently give her sticks from outside to file down her teeth and since she has started chewing everything i am bringing her a stick a day and leaving it in her cage. I dont know what else to do or if i am doing something wrong. She is almost 3 now and i never had this problem to this level with her before!
    She is simply being a squirrel, this is what they do... they explore the world with their teeth. Young, sweet health squirrels grow into wild, independent adults that.. well, are squirrels. They are not domestic animals... we try to warn people over and over again that squirrels rarely make good "pets".

It is not really possible to "train" them not to chew everything.

If you continue to allow her out of the cage in places where she can chew wires, she will chew them. Eventually it will end in disaster. The electrical burns / wounds we see here on SB are some of the most gruesome, and
    undoubtedly most painful, injuries we see. You must either diligently superivise her out of cage time (while taking reasonable precautions with the wires) or take steps to ensure she cannot chew on the wires like runing it through flexible metal conduit.

We would not indulge a child to play in unsafe areas, same goes for our fur-babies.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (03-30-2019)